Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Restaurants in DC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/restaurants-in-dc-330467/)

katyhotr Jun 24th, 2003 05:53 AM

Restaurants in DC

Any suggestions on fun restaurants for families (kids 11 & 9). Or nice restaurants with a neat view or theme. The kids are well behaved and go to nice restaurants often. Thanks for the help.

Kal Jun 24th, 2003 06:15 AM

Aloohaaa...the usual ESPNZone, Hard Rock but they may enjoy the restaurants located down near the river by Georgetown, the name escapes me but I'm sure a few of our DC friends can jog my memory...something "Point"???

We had lunch there several times and love to watch the all boats go up and down the Potomac. You can ride bikes up to it too.
Kal

katyhotr Jun 24th, 2003 06:29 AM

Does anyone know anything about the Marakesh where you eat only with your hands?

HuwMorgan Jun 24th, 2003 07:05 AM

Actually, Marakesh is right next door to one of DC's oldest Italian restaurants, AV Ristorante. Perfect for a young family. It is reputed to be a favorite of Jack Nicholson's when he is in town and Justice Antonin Scalia.

swizzy Jun 24th, 2003 07:41 AM

Old Glory offers great BBQ and is located in the heart of Georgetown (M Street); Sea Catch (M Street, some tables have a view of the water); all of the Washington Harbor/Waterfront restaurants i.e. Tony & Joe's, Riverside Grill, have a spectacular view and not-so-spectacular food. Cactus Cantina is also fun, and is located in Glover Park/Upper Georgetown.

Ryan Jun 24th, 2003 08:36 AM

The Hotel Washington has a rooftop restaurant/bar that has a great view of the White House across the street and several of the monuments. I only went for drinks so I can't vouch for the quality (or lack thereof) of the food. However, it definately draws a crowd.

Tiiimeisonmyside Jun 24th, 2003 08:50 AM

Marakesh is the very last place you'd take a family. Very expensive. Sit on the floor. This is strictly an adult venue, and you'll know why when the first belly dancer arrives. Sadly out of date. HuwMorgan, surely you can offer better advice that that. That restaurant is located in a very rough part of DC.

HuwMorgan Jun 24th, 2003 08:57 AM

AV Ristorante is three blocks from the new Convention Center and three blocks from a police station. It has it's own parking. But, yes, a block north of AV's are the beginning of a bad neighborhood. One shouldn't have to park there, however.

HuwMorgan Jun 24th, 2003 09:08 AM

On the border of Admas-Morgan and Dupont Circle there is the Tex-Mex/Cuban/Salvadoran restaurant Lauriol Plaza that is popular with co-workers of mine. One can eat outdoors on the rooftop, watch people and enjoy the city night at Lauriol's.

MikeT Jun 24th, 2003 10:17 AM

Lauriol Plaza is not a bad idea, although it does have really long waits. If eating with your hands is something you like, I would suggest any of the city's Ethopian restaurants. DC arguably has the best Ethiopian food in the country, with a number of great places in Adams Morgan. (Meshkerem comes to mind).

tusion1 Jun 24th, 2003 11:16 AM

Couple suggestions:
2 Amys in Dupont;
One of the Capital City Breweries (prety bland food though);
a table outside at Sequoia down in the G'town waterfront;
Gordon Biersch in the Penn Quarter;
Mimi's American Bistro (P St. - singing waiters);
Then there are the usual tourist spots: ESPN Zone, Hard Rock, etc.

nicole99 Jun 25th, 2003 07:11 AM

Good suggestions! I second the suggestion for Etheopian food. You could try Meskerem in Adams Morgan. If you sit upstairs, you can sit on pillows on the floor and all the food is eaten with your hands. Or you could try Zed's in Georgetown where the food is almost as delicious as Meskerem, but the atmosphere is a little more formal.

Also - 2 Amy's is not in Dupont Circle. It is on Wisconsin Avenue - not far from the Cathedral.

Pizzeria Paradiso (one location in Dupont and one location in Georgetown) has yummy wood-fired pizza that kids would enjoy.

Lexma90 Jun 25th, 2003 10:36 AM

Our kids (8 and 4) really enjoyed Meskereem in Adams Morgan on a recent trip. They were very excited at the thought of going to a restaurant where you could eat with your hands.

We all also enjoyed the Bistrot du Coin, in Dupont Circle. They don't have a separate childrens' menu, but there are items on the regular menu that kids like. Their mussels were delicious!

tusion1 Jun 25th, 2003 11:56 AM

Good call on 2 Amy's. I was actually thinking of Pizza Paradiso, thanks for the correction.

Bistro du Coin is also an excellent suggestion, though I have never been there with kids before.