Restaurants in Dana Point/Laguna Beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfriend and I are staying at the St Regis and I was wondering how that hotel is and also the restaurant AQUA?
What about other high end restaurants to recommend? Thanks for the input.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 08:46 AM

I haven't stayed there, but I've run conferences across the street at the Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel, and the overflow clients have stayed at the St. Regis and liked it very much. Note: You will have a bit of a hike to get to the lovely beach (and you'll have to cross PCH). They offer a shuttle.

AQUA gets very good ratings from the Zagat people. The restaurant at the R-C is supposed to be wonderful (frankly, I've only ever had food served by their banquet services-- but it's always beed excellent). Studio, at the Montage Resort in south Laguna Beach, is making huge waves among LA foodies-- it's supposed to be pretty off-the-chain great. Claes and Splashes are two fine high-end choices in "downtown" Laguna Beach.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 10:22 PM

we enjoyed the Salt Creek grill, not far.....
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 12:27 PM

The St. Regis is just beautiful! As you may know, they have their own private beach club/restaurant on Monarch Beach, which is only open to guests. They shuttle you out there, but they don't shuttle guests to Salt Creek beach across PCH. (I'd rather be at the private beach club anyway and as a guest, you are paying for that privilege, so don't miss it.)

You can walk over to the public Salt Creek beach, (a little less than a mile) on a walking path from the hotel under the Coast Highway via a tunnel and out to the beach. Very nice walk, I do it all the time. If you like gardens, there's a pretty little botanical one with gazebo behind the hotel. And their pool, cabanas and fountains are splendid.

I haven't tried Aqua the dining room since the chef change a while back, but it was quite good before. Now, you can also get an Aqua lunch that is served in the Lounge and on the terrace (go for the terrace, wonderful ocean views). My daughter and I recently enjoyed the chilled seafood platter and a nice Angus burger and frites out there--good wines too.

The Dining Room at the Ritz is excellent, service is formal. The lounge/library is nice for a casual meal/drinks/high tea.

Studio is great--I'd try to get in ASAP. Enjoy the walk along the ocean at Treasure Island Park there and tour the hotel, it's lovely. Also add French 75 bistro and champagne bar to your list--warm woods, fireplaces, private nooks, very charming and good.

Just south of Laguna at Newport Coast, the Grill at Pelican Hill, run by the Four Seasons is excellent, with views to match. Another fine place to be at sunset. So many good choices, I know you'll have a wonderful time.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 12:41 PM

winerycat, I think you mean the Pelican Grill is just north of Laguna (the Four Seasons, and the golf course, are in Newport Beach). You're right, it is truly fantastic-- and maybe 20-25 minutes in the car from the St. Regis. French 75 is great too.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 12:46 PM

Woops..gotta change directions. The Grill at Pelican Hill is just North of Laguna, not south.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 01:00 PM

You're pretty fast rjw! Yes, I did mean north. Just so there's no confusion, the Grill at Pelican Hill is in Newport Coast, across from Crystal Cove State Park, between Laguna and Corona del Mar, not the Four Seasons Hotel in Newport Beach, though. But, I'll tell ya, all this talk of good food and wine is making me hungry. Maybe we should take off and have a glass a wine on the terrace? LOL!
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 01:12 PM

I'd love to, winerycat, but I'm in Phase 1 of the South Beach diet-- no liquor or carbs of any kind. And I'm going nucking futs!! :-<
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 01:50 PM

Oh, I hear ya, rjw--controlling carbs seems to be a regular part of my life these days, too, but soon you'll be over the hard part and things will get easier. Hang in there!

Have you noticed the entrees at Studio are sooooo low carb? Maybe one starch on the whole menu! Just as a reward for making it through Phase I, you could treat yourself to a wonderful meal there, even with a little wine and it won't hurt you at all--well, maybe in the pocketbook a bit. It's getting much easier to be low carb these days--the good restaurants are catching on. Well, that walk sounds pretty darn good to me--I'm outta here. Happy travels.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 02:06 PM

winerycat, now you're making me anxious to get into Phase 2...! No fair!

Have a great afternoon yourself.