Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Restaurants in and near Mandalay Bay that teens would like

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Tess

I know I know. Taking teens to Vegas is not the smartest thing to do. After years of telling people that our kids could go to Vegas only when they're 21 and legal, we're stopping in Sin City for two days on the way home from vacation. The 13 (girl) and 16 (boy) year oldw are elated and think Mom and Dad are rapidly on their way to senility for caving in on this.

We're staying at theHotel in Mandalay Bay since they'll love the pools and the hotel isn't smack dab in the middle of the Strip. Got a pretty good deal on a suite so I think we'll be comfortable and everyone can have some space (the 1 1/2 baths were a huge selling point ). Anyhow, we've never 1.) gone to Vegas with our kids 2.) stayed so far south on the Strip so I'm looking for some restaurant ideas that the family would enjoy. The 16 year old eats ALL of the time (at 6 ft. 3 and 160 pounds, we're thinking that's okay--LOL) and the 13 year old eats very little. Neither one is picky and we all enjoy different restaurant experiences without breaking the bank--Denny's on vacation just doesn't cut it (at home--sure!). We'll probably do the standard touristy things one day and evening and hit the hotel pool for most of the next day so we don't have tons of extra time.

So...does anyone have good suggestions for dinner? Is MB's Rumjungle a place we'd all enjoy?

We'd also like to take them to a show one night--of the shows that would be appropriate for teens, DH and I have already seen Celine, 'O,' and Lance Burton so would rather not repeat those. Any other suggestions? The kids have seen Blue Man and Mamma Mia so those are out, too.

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rumjungle would be fun as long as they are meateaters. Border Grill has decent Mexican food as long as you're not from the southwest. I like the Noodle Bar (Asian soups)and they recently opened a gourmet Burger Bar (far from a Denny's)in the Mandalay Place mall. Poolside lunch might be pretty fun, too.

For shows, all depends on your kids but I think Penn & Teller might be better received by them than a Cirque show (and probably half the cost). I think there's some simlated violence like cutting off Teller's arm with a chainsaw and fake blood spewing out but it's done in a very comedic way and I wouldn't think it inappropriate for a 13 year old but that's up to you. Check the show listing and see if they have age recommendations.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Tess

Loki,

Penn and Teller was a wonderful idea--I checked their website, though, and the show is dark that week. Bummer.

Any other ideas?

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 04:09 PM

We enjoyed the casual restaurant at Mandalay Bay, Raffles. Reasonable and large portions.
The Verandah at the Four Seasons also looked like a nice, reasonably priced place for breakfast or lunch.
We ate at a nice Italian restaurant that was fairly near the Mandalay Bay---I think it was Bootlegger Bistro.

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 06:03 PM
LHG

There is an IMAX theater at the Luxor. I haven't been there, but your kids would probably like that. There is also a hypnotist, but I'm not sure where. Maybe someone else here does.

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Tess

LHG,

Great idea on the hypnotist--the kids would love that. Anyone know of any non-adult-only hypnotist shows in Vegas?

I'm writing down everyone's suggestions--thanks!

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 04:08 AM

I don't know where you'd find a hypnotist, but you can probably learn more here:

www.vegas.com

I know they have a list of shows with descriptions and ratings.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 06:35 AM
LHG

I remember seeing a billboard for a hypnotist, but as I am looking through the guide book that I brought home, I'm seeing a show called hypnolarious. It is suggested for ages 13 and up, but also states "mature themes". I heard a lady talking on her cell phone telling her friend how much she enjoyed We Will Rock You. That is at the Paris. There's also Mamma Mia at Mandalay Bay.
I would just search vagas.com and see what you come up with.

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 06:37 AM
LHG

Sorry, that's vegas.com, and I just realized you already saw Mamma Mia.

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 07:33 AM

Shanghai Lily is in the MB and is about the best Chinese food I've ever had. It's atmosphere is "nice restaurant" versus your typical Chinese place, and as I recall fairly expensive, but describing your teens, if they like Chinese well enough and you order several different dishes, you all can share and that way your son can eat lots and your daughter can pick and no one has to feel bad about ordering something they don't like and don't eat, etc. I second the recommendation for Border Grill, it's awesome but it's a bit different than the Mexican food your kids might be used to and like (ie traditional Mexican or "fast food" style).

One side question, can you access all the MB stuff staying at The Hotel or will you have a separate pool, spa, etc? If they can't use the MB pool that will be too bad, it's really a great set up and I think teens would like it a lot. I haven't been since they were still constructing the new hotel and wondered about cross-use of facilities.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 09:10 AM

Our daughter has seen "We will Rock You" twice. She thought it was great.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Tess

Thank you all--the suggestions and help are great! You know, I've been thinking about We Will Rock You--since their parents are 40-somethings, our kids have grown up listening to our 70's music and like Queen. The Hynolarious show also sounds like one I should check out.

Shanghai Lily sounds fun and yes, you pegged my family well. DD orders food and DS finishes it--seems to work well for them both, though

Noryglory--yes, we can use MB's pool, etc.--I made sure to ask when I made the reservations. Being a nervous nellie, though, I think I'll call again just to doublecheck. That would not be a good thing to get there and be unable to use the fun pools.

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 12:46 PM

There is a PF Changs in the Caesar's shops that has a fun atmosphere and very reasonable...
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Tess

Well, I'm not on a roll here. Checked out Hynolarious and it's dark on the two days we're in Vegas.

Anyone else?!