Restaurants for teens in Seattle area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2004, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need recommendations for reasonably-priced restaurants that my teenagers will enjoy in the Seattle area. We're not looking just for burger joints, but I don't want to spend $75 (for 3 people) every time we eat. My son is kind of a picky eater. My daughter will try just about anything, but she doesn't like fish. Someone recommended the Sunday Brunch buffet at Salty's, but we are taking a day trip out of Seattle on Sunday, so that is out. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 07:52 AM

You don't have to just do the brunch at Salty's. My daugther (15) really enjoyed this place. We took a limo from our hotel and sat outside on the patio. The views are gorgeous from the restaurant and the food is very good.

How about a meal up in the Space Needle? I haven't tried it, but it seems like something teens would enjoy. My daughter loved going up to the top and there's a cool gift shop at the bottom with all kinds of Seattle souvenirs. Have fun! ***kim***

Old Apr 1st, 2004, 08:02 AM

We just moved from there last month and one of our kids favorite very inexpensive places was Ivars. They are a fish place, but also have chicken and such. There are lots of them around the area and they are very good. If you do want a burger place, find a Red Robin...another local favorite.

Where are you going for your day trip?
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I will check out Salty's web site and see what they have. I've already looked over the menu at the Space Needle, and decided the most we could afford there would be a salad.

I had not heard about Ivars, but will check it out. Thanks for reminding me about Red Robin. I ate there on a trip to Seattle 10 years ago with my older daughter who was 14 at the time, and we both liked it a lot.

Actually, we are planning 2 days trips -- one to Vancouver (2 days), and one for a rafting trip on the Skykomish (I think).

Any more ideas?

Old Apr 1st, 2004, 08:23 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The Pike Market has tons of places that ought to work for you; try Lowell's (cafeteria style, good breakfasts, great views); the Athenian Inn (also good breakfasts but also lunches); Copacabana, a old standby (Bolivian) with a fun view of the busy marketplace; zillions of take-away places, too many to list.

How are they on Asian? I think (and evidently thousands agree) that the new food court in Uwajimaya Village in the International District is a winner - stalls selling Chinese, Japanese, Hawaiian, Filipino, Thai, Korean... plus the Uwajimaya market itself is an amazing experience for out-of-towners.

There are numerous hip and hopping places on Broadway (Capitol Hill) that your kids should enjoy, none too pricey. The same goes for the Wallingford neighborhood (on NE and N. 45th St. west from the University of Washington) - diners, good Asian, Italian, eclectic choices.

Downtown, in the Pacific Place shopping center there are several chain places that are quite good - Todai (Japanese and sushi buffet), Johnny Rocket's (burgers and shakes), Il Fornaio (3 separate rooms ranging from sandwiches to major money); and others, plus a multiplex cinema, very upscale shops (Tiffany, Cartier...) and other mercantile threats. And there's always the Cheesecake Factory if you haven't been grossed out by one yet.

You should take them to the Fremont neighborhood to see the Troll, rocketship, and V.I. Lenin's statue looking out onto the hippy/boomer/tattoo crowd; try Still Life in Fremont for politically correct dining (but good, and now with meat.)

Two places located in the Ballard/Fishermens Terminal area (car needed for both, both worth the drive) - the Yankee Diner, comfort food with a view of the boat traffic on the Lake Washington Ship Canal, and Chinooks at Fishermens Terminal. Fish-oriented, but plenty of non-fish items, good weekend breakfasts too, and a view of the west coast's largest fishing fleet moored outside the window - the real deal, not Fishermen's Wharf.

That'a a start...
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 08:55 AM

On Capitol Hill try The Coastal Kitchen. It has great breakfasts and theme dinners(meaning sometimes it's mexican, sometimes it's asian but there are also many of the good old teen-ager stand-bys like pasta and burgers). It is not a burger joint.

I also really like Matt's at the Market. It's open for both lunch and dinner.There is a limited menu but everything is fresh and good.
You might also try Cutter's down near the Market. You will have a great view. My sister lives in Redmond and often takes her kids there. BTW..they also like Red Robin. It's where they
ask to go for birthdays.

In the U district there is Mama Molina's. It's good Italian food and filled with locals. Papa sings opera.
I'd advise reservations there.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 10:07 AM

When we were walking down on the waterfront after visiting the aquarium, we had lunch at some place that served great fish tacos and my daughter raved about her clam chowder there.

It's right in the midst of all the touristy shops, you can order like a fast-food place, then you pick up your order. The place was packed wtih tourists and very good. I just can't recall the name of it, maybe someone can help me out. ***kim***
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. I plan to make a list of everything mentioned, then try to look up menus on the internet.

Just out of curiosity, what does a fish taco consist of? Being from Texas, I am used to the "traditional" kind -- taco meat, lettuce, tomato and cheese on a hard corn tortilla (or sometimes a soft flour one). "Fish tacos" don't sound appetizing to me, but I'm going to try one anyway, when we're in Seattle. I had a hard time talking myself into ordering shrimp-and-artichoke pizza when we were in Cancun, but I love artichoke, so I tried it anyway, and it was wonderful.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 01:44 PM

It can be any kind of fish. I believe the one I had in Seattle was the mahi-mahi. There is a place in Carmel, called The California Market where I think I found fish taco heaven! They use halibut in theirs. Try it, you'll like it! LOL ***kim***
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 02:10 PM

I think the name of the place was Steamers Cafe, located right on the waterfront. ***kim***
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 08:07 PM

You've gotten some really good suggestions so far. We live just outside of Seattle and when my daughter was a teen (she's 20 now) one of her favorite places was Buca di Beppo at 701 9th Ave.North--not far from the Seattle Center. It has "family style" Italian food--huge portions and it's good and relatively inexpensive. Problem is the don't take reservations, so the lines can be a bit long...try to get there early (or late).

IMO Salty's is overpriced, and just good, not great, but the views are great, and we haven't been to the brunch (not brunch eaters). Also, the last time I ate at the restaurant at the Space Needle it was very disappointing, but I've heard it's improved...a friend of mine is going soon and I'll try to remember to let you know what she says. But, if it's a clear day, it's worth the views.

We love fish and unusual food and so it's hard for me to offer many more suggestions. When are you planning to be here?
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 10:07 PM

If you are a music fan, you and your teens would enjoy the EMP (Experience Music Project) which is an amazing hands-on, interactive "museum" of contemporary music. I was there with three "kind of picky" teens and they were happy eating lunch at the museum restaurant. I honestly can't remember how the food was, but the atmosphere at the EMP is great!

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:19 AM

Buca di Beppo is fun, but the cost is on the higher end of what the OP said he/she didn't want to spend. BUT...it is a fun place and our kids have enjoyed it a lot, so maybe the OP will do it. The location up in Lynnwood always made reservations so double check that for the Seattle location.