Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Restaurants charging for a glass of water??? (please say it ain't so!)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious if anyone has run into this new trend that I just heard reported on CBS radio, which is apprently euphamistically called "finding new revenue streams"? I have not personally encountered this as of yet in my restaurant travels, but wondered if anyone else has and if so, what you might have done or said about it when you found out?
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 02:18 PM

Many nice restaurants offer a selection of bottled waters, and all are at a fee. Most will still offer a choice of tap water as well.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 03:14 PM

Not in NYC, it is ILLEGAL for a resaurant to charge for NYC tap water and it must be given to you on request.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 03:14 PM

restaurant
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 03:17 PM

it's not new - in California, during droughts, restaurants used to do it. we haven't had a serious drought for a while, so the practice has been suspended.
most restaurants in California will NOT automatically place a glass of water down, however. I'm on the east coast now and I cringe at untouched glasses of water at restaurant tables - what a waste.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 03:17 PM

I've had it happen at bars.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 05:56 PM

It wouldn't surprise me. I had an Asian restaurant in Vegas (Tsunami at Venetian) charge separately for rice.

If charged for water, I'd be curious about their markup.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 07:33 PM
jor

Fine in Europe, but in the US no way. Anti-American!
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 07:37 PM

When there was a drought in NYC, they would ask if you wanted water, not just pour a glass as a matter of fact.
Thankfully, they are still giving it away
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 07:39 PM

I don't belive that California ever charged for water during the drought, but it was not brought to you unless it was asked for. I have never heard of a restaurant charging for tap water.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 08:02 PM

I have been to several top restuarants that will ask, "Flat or Sparkling (never mentioning the word tap)." Say either, and you will receive an extremely pricey bottle of imported water. I am sure you can still request tap--and, I would think it is still free.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 09:42 AM
jor

I just remembered this. in Egypt in 1982 a liter of water was more expensive than a liter of gas. Guess we have it good here.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Kal

If Sammy Sosa takes his own bottled water into a restaurant, will he be charged an EXTRA corkage fee? \/

We loved Europe with the "Gas-No Gas" comment when we asked for water.

Charged for water while in Cairo? How did Egypt you?
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 10:11 AM

Margot, if they charge you for taking water, do you get a refund for making water at their place?
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Vette4Paris

Personally if you care about your health you'll purchase bottled water, and forgo the tap version. It's healthful to consume water along with the meal, as they do in Europe. I really don't see what the big fuss is here. Purchase bottled water in restaurants - invest in your own health.

Old Jun 9th, 2003, 10:43 AM

Kal, found that funny as well during my first trip to Italy this past May. GAS? Pleaz, I've stored enough already from the long transatlantic flight...I don't need extra stimulant in the water.

I remember down in the South Pacific islands like Bora Bora, they would bring out a nice-looking bottle of that clear elixir as soon as you sat down to dine which I thought was quite accomodating, until I saw our bill. Oh well, methinks maybe tap water isn't all that safe or plentiful here.

Look, if they bring out bottled water or pour you a glass from it, live with the charge. But if they charged me for tap water...let's not even go there.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Oooh, good one, Brooklyn_Bomber, re: the "making water" quip! And as for YOU, Kal... to those awful puns! Makes me want to go on a "no-Kal" diet! But anyhow, thanks to everyone for all the interesting replies thus far - sounds like the charge for tap water in restaurants is rare, at least in this country, but probably not so far-fetched at some point in time. Until then...CHEERS, everyone!
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 12:16 PM

I've been charged for water at the Food Court in the Mall (I don't generally drink soft drinks). Their reason - 'We charge for the cup'.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 12:50 PM

Unless you are in Mexico or a third world nation, tap water is about as clean as some bottled waters including Evian. A test was done on a local news agency and they found that most tap water contain as much minerals, contaminants, and flouride as some bottled water. Sometimes the taste is the only difference and that comes from the pipes that leads the water to the faucet.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 12:56 PM

Charging for bottled water I can understand, but charging for tap water is just out of line in my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -