Restaurants Calistoga/St. Helena

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants Calistoga/St. Helena

have booked 2 night stay in Calistoga for News Years Eve. Need recommendations for dinner either in Calistoga or near by St. Helena...Need to make reservations now.if its not too late....thanks for the help
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:59 PM

My favorite restaurant in Calistoga is Wappo's. Service is great there, too. Tried Stomp last time and thought it was good, not great...maybe a little ambitious and a tad too pricey. Second favorite was Brennan's...fun atmosphere, too. They will probably have music for New Year's... I would check. Where are you staying in Calistoga?
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 01:36 PM

My fave place to eat in Calistoga is The Calistoga Inn-they have an adjacent bar and there for sure will be music.

Stomp keps going in and out of favor with the locals. Brannans is pretty good. We intend to try Wappo on this next venture over the mountain.
(Can't wait-we are going the week after Thanksgiving !)
In St. Helena for New Years I would try
Terra, then, maybe
Martini House
We are making a special trip down there to dine at Cindy Pawlcyn's newest venture
Go Fish Finally ! a great seafood restaurant arrives in Napa !
Valley! Her other St. Helena venture is
Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen-a very, very good fave of ours.

Also, if you plan on imbibing, please consider using the services of Taxi Cabernet 707-963-2620 if you do travel down to St. Helena,espcially on NYE.

R5
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 04:20 PM

Razzle! Please email me at this screen name at aol.com and let me know your itinerary, etc and see if I can offer some "extra" advice, LOL! After all, we've been there 5 times in 4 years and been to over 166 wineries....but that includes other counties, lol. Man, will I EVER get you to Lodi? Anyway, Shar, still waiting to hear where you are staying and if you need some Calistoga winery advice. I was in Calistoga again last April and found some nice wineries. Bennett Lane's Maximus is now on my top ten list.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 05:19 PM

St. Helena is one of my favorite towns of all time. AS a suggestion, try looking into private dinners at local vineyards. When I visted in 2001, we were with a group, but were able to dine at Markham and Merryvale vineyards - both were two very remarkable experiences. We also dined at Tra Vigne - wonderful! My in-laws were with us and raved about the restaurant at Aubuerge De'Soleil (spelling??).
I know this was years ago, but these were all memorable experiences.
Also, don't miss Mumm Napa Valley and for a sweet treat in the morning try the Model Bakery in St. Helena - YUM!
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 08:50 PM

Itinerary Linda?
ROTFLMAO !
Let's see we've been there 40+ times in
10 years, LOL. I cannot even count
all the trips from SF/Mill Valley/Lafayette befor we moved to Sonoma. The mind boggles, He-he !

All kidding aside, I will e-mail you
for your words of wisdom as you are one of my favorite "locals".

R5
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:46 PM

Wappo is one of my favorites in warm weather in their charming vine-covered courtyard. Indoors is cramped and small in winter, but you might enjoy that. It sounds like you are looking for the special New Year's Eve -type restaurant. In that case, check with Meadowood, Auberge d'Soleil, Martini House or Press - any of these would have a special celebration for the evening. Or the CIA. We recently tried Press and loved it. Press is in St Helena. Calistoga Inn would also have a celebration meal - it's much more casual. It all depends on what type of experience you are after.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 07:41 AM

yo Razzle, I know, I know....I am still thinking you haven't hit the Papapietro Perry/Amphora complex? Was it you or Kal? Dutcher Crossing? I have several new ones from last trip and some all time favorites just for the record! Sapphire Hill in Healdsburg? Just had a great bottle of that last night. Shar, Auberge is a great place for a tres expensive lunch with gorgeous views...I can't imagine what a NYear dinner would cost though, gasp! Again...where are you staying? We were at the Foothill House and the owner, Darla, sent us some info ahead of time on hiking trails. Often, those innkeepers will know of the best places to go for an event, and they'll be glad to answer this question!
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

LLindaC: we are staying at the Aurora Park Cottages in Calistoga.

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. I actually booked TERRA in St. Helena for New Years Eve but will try one of your many great suggestions for the other night we are there. Thanks for the help........
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 06:39 PM

Go with Martini House - this is Kuleto's saving grace amongs his stable of mediocre restaurants. It's really good, though. This is our "go to" in St. Helena.

Wappo's pretty good, too.

Terra will be a little haute cusine. It was to haute cuisine for our taste that it didn't seem to work. JMHO.