Restaurants between Lincoln Center and 49 street. Not to expensive

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in NYC for a weekend in Feb abd have tickets to Fri and Sat night at Lincoln Center. We are staying at the Crown Plaza on 49th and Broadway. We will be coming from the Met on sat. and could go straight to dinner. We are looking for not to expensive. Thanks.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 08:41 AM

I really like Tout Va Bien on West 51st between 8th and 9th. Nothing fancy, it's been around forever, but the food usually very good and for Manhattan, reasonable. Classic French, reasonably priced wine, though not much in the way of decor. Not sure if this is still true but it was known as a popular spot for the French expats.

Also, I like Uncle Nick's on 9th between 50th and 51st. Good for Greek food. There are two sides, I can never remember which is which as we'll usually go when the weather is nice and sit in their backyard area.

If food quality and low cost is high on your list but ambiance isn't, you might consider the Afghan Kebab House. Very reasonable prices, really good Kebabs. Nothing fancy.

Plenty of other spots in and around 9th Avenue that might be better bets than tourist spots closer to Times Square.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 08:50 AM

Shun Lee is very good Chinese in the area of Lincoln Center, but not too sure what your $ price range is.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 09:16 AM

Greek Kitchen on 10th Ave and 10m year58th. It has been there over years.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 09:17 AM

Yikes. I hit send way too early.

Greek Kitchen 10 Ave and 58th Street. It is has been there over 10 years.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 09:18 AM

Yikes. I hit send way too early.

Greek Kitchen 10 Ave and 58th Street. It is has been there over 10 years.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 09:34 AM

I am happy to see Ryan suggest Uncle Nick's. We had a delicious meal and lots of fun at this place. I wish we had such a restaurant in Seattle. It has a lively atmosphere and a great New York attitude. The staff is wonderfully welcoming to tourists: http://unclenicksgreekrestaurant.com

HTTY
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 10:14 AM

Don't know what your price range is, but most pre-theater prix-fixes in the Lincoln Center-Columbus Circle-Carnegie Hall area run around $35 to $45, not including beverages, tax or tip. Note that many places exclude Saturdays from their p/f offerings.

Since the Met matinees tend to end too early to go directly to dinner (most places don't begin to serve before 5:30--a few at 5:00), a good place to "vamp" over a drink is the bar at the Empire Hotel across Columbus Avenue from Lincoln Center.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 02:49 AM

I'm a bit confused by your post. I think you're saying you're going to evening performances and looking for pre theater dining on both Fri & Sat. nights. On Fri. you're coming from the hotel and on Sat. from the Metropolitan Museum? "The Met" in this context is what's confusing. There's not very much near the museum that's "not too expensive" so I'd concentrate of eating near Lincoln Center on Sat. In addition to the options you've been given, O'Neal's & Vince & Eddie's are both American rstaurants with dependable basic food close to the theater.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 04:47 AM

Since there are so very many places to choose from in all price ranges in the roughly 15-block area you mention, how about giving us a price range a little more defining than "not to expensive." Also, some idea on the types of food preferred also would help.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 06:20 PM

I'll second Shun Lee. Love that place. Many years ago, my sister and I had a summer ballet subscription which had me coming down to NYC from New Hampshire about every other weekend. That was the summer it never got below 90 degrees.

So we went to Shun Lee as usual but I was so hot and sticky I started ordering Kir Royales and drank about 4. When I got up I told my sister "I think I'm drunk" . We walked over to the NY State Theater and I proceeded to say again "I'm drunk - hope I don't fall down" and of course, fell up the grand staircase and then started laughing so much that I couldn't get up.

When I got back to New Hampshire I told my boss (a recovering alcoholic) this story and said "Do you think I'm an alcoholic?" He said "what did you do in the intermission?" I said "drank a coke and ate a candy bar". He said "nope, a real alcoholic would have continued to drink!"

Anyway, long story but I always associate it with Shun Lee!
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 04:37 AM

Shun Lee would be a wonderful selection, but it's not that inexpensive!Still, it's worth every penny spent.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 12:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I enjoyed dinner with a group of friends last month at Vice Versa, a good Italian restaurant on 51st Street between 8th and 9th Avenue. There is a prix fixe menu for $35.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 07:36 PM

if you love turkish food as much as i do, i highly recommend istanbul cafe on 57th b/t 8th and 9th avenue. simple and cute decor with turkish rugs and furniture. best of all, the food is reasonably priced and delicious! i am obsessed with their lentil soup. i order from there at least once a week.