Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Restaurants - Baltimore's Inner Harbor (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/restaurants-baltimores-inner-harbor-690818/)

GBC Mar 24th, 2007 05:04 PM

Restaurants - Baltimore's Inner Harbor

Hi....
We are meeting some old friends in Baltimore. We are booked into the Inn at Henderson's Wharf for Monday and Tuesday, April 9 & 10. It is in the Fells Point section of the waterfront.

Any suggestions that you might offer for a great evening meal would be appreciated. Possibly, but not limited to, seafood.
One qualifier; we're seniors with some minor 'mobility' issues. We get about OK but prefer to avoid lots of steps at the end of a travel day. Thanks, we appreciate your help.

Budman Mar 24th, 2007 05:28 PM

If you are interested in Italian, Amicci's in Little Italy is excellent and very reasonably priced. It's our favorite restaurant in Baltimore.

If you are in for seafood, Mama's on the Half Shell is very good and it's in the Canton section of town. It's a locals place. Fells Point is right in the middle of the two areas, and a short cab ride. ((b))

Iregeo Mar 24th, 2007 08:57 PM

I've never had better crab cakes than those at Legal Seafood. I go there each time I'm in Baltimore.

GeBo Mar 25th, 2007 04:54 AM

If you are looking for some of the very best dining in the United States (at the prices you would expect) there are two outstanding choices within a ten minute cab ride nearby--Charleston, between Fell's Point and Inner Harbor, and Hampton's, in the Harbor Court hotel, Inner Harbor. The hotel has an elevator near rhe taxi/valet parking dropoff point to the second floor where Hampton's is, but there is a fairly long corridor to negotiate to get to the restaurant. Charleston is on the ground floor streetside and should present no issues. With an emphasis on South Carolina cuisine (with a French accent) it might be more likely of the two to have an outstanding seafood choice.

GBC Mar 25th, 2007 08:43 AM

Thanks Budman, Iregeo, and GeBo. I promise we will put your ideas to work.

MaureenB Mar 25th, 2007 09:08 AM

Try Kali's Court in Fells Point for seafood. It's expensive, though. Great for special occasions.
:)>-

GBC Mar 26th, 2007 04:58 PM

Thanks to everyone. It is especially nice to get some suggestions for places that are nearby and that are accessible.

Cher Mar 27th, 2007 04:46 PM

I'm sitting in the Baltimore airport as I'm writing this, waiting for my flight back to Rochester. Was just in Baltimore for a few days for a conference. We had dinner last night at Kali's Court in Fells Point, and I would highly recommend it. Mainly a seafood menu - There were 6 of us and everyone raved about their dinner. I loved the atmosphere .. lots of brick .. casual elegance. We were dressed casually, as were most in the restaurant, and felt very comfortable. I loved the Fells Point area.

Budman Mar 27th, 2007 05:19 PM

Fells Point is great. Did you get a chance to "Eat Burtha's Mussels"?

Got a couple of their bumper stickers that read that slogan. It's a great place for a couple of pints and some outstanding mussels. ((b))

GBC Mar 28th, 2007 04:48 AM

Thanks, once again. I will call and reserve. I was unsure about dress. It will be an anniversary but since we're traveling, we won't have suit and tie. We love mussels, also a plus.

We also appreciate your notes about Fells Point. We picked the location thru travelocity. Good to hear we're in a good spot.

MaureenB Mar 28th, 2007 06:23 AM

Kali's Court has a dress code, requiring men to wear collared shirts and pants (no shorts), I believe. Not sure about a tie, but you could ask them. We plan on having our daughter's graduation dinner there in May.
:)>-

MerryTravel Mar 28th, 2007 06:48 AM

I hate to be so negative, but we had a horrible experience at Kali's Court. Granted it was a busy Friday, but we were seated 2.5 hours after the time of our reservation. We would have gladly left if they had told us it would be that long, but they kept telling us we'd have a table "in 10 minutes," and then kept seating "regulars" ahead of us. Being Fells Point on a Friday, going anywhere else would have meant a long wait, so we kept believing the 10-minute line. To make up for making us wait they gave us each one drink for free, and a $25 gift certificate, which we never used because none of us wanted to set foot in there ever again.

So I'm not all gloomy, I always liked John Steven, although they don't take reservations and waits can be long:
www.johnstevenltd.com

Kooper's Tavern for burgers:
www.koopers.com

And Bonaparte Bakery basically on Henderson's Wharf (around the other side from the hotel entrance) is a great little French bakery for breakfast.

GeorgeW Mar 28th, 2007 07:05 AM

Charleston on Lancaster Street is considered the best restaurant in Baltimore. It is quite near the harbor. A look at their internet menu reveals a fairly equal number of seafood, meat and game dishes. It's not cheap to eat there, however.

dcdee Mar 30th, 2007 06:41 PM

Another good option in Little Italy is Sabatino's.

cwojo99 Mar 30th, 2007 06:46 PM

If you want Blue Crabs...Obrycki's is listed in the 1000 things to see and do before you die book.

You can get crab meat if you don't want to "beat it out of them".

www.obryckis.com/

When people come to visit...I take them here!

8-)

GBC Mar 31st, 2007 06:38 AM

A GOOD problem - so many places, so little time.

Any feedback on Boccaccio, also in Little Italy?

Thanks.