Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Restaurants around W. 57th? (Parker Meridien) (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/restaurants-around-w-57th-parker-meridien-344590/)

GwenB Apr 16th, 2008 09:06 AM

Restaurants around W. 57th? (Parker Meridien)

I'm looking for quick restarant reviews for an upcoming trip to NYC. We're staying at Le Parker Meridien. I know they have a restaurant there, but I would like to know of an "affordable" breakfast option... nothing fancy needed, just eggs, toast, pancakes, etc. Last year we stayed at Sofitel and ate at the little diner close by-- that sort of thing is fine. Can you help? THANKS!

Jimingso Apr 16th, 2008 09:34 AM

There is a diner on the corner of 55th and 7th Ave. that serves a decent, cheap breakfast. Sorry, cannot remember the name.

happytrailstoyou Apr 16th, 2008 09:53 AM

You will find delis in the neighborhood for bagels, coffee, etc., and there is a MacDonald's nearby--at 47 W 57th Street.

I would walk toward 7th and 8th to scout for a diner.

otto Apr 16th, 2008 10:10 AM

fluffy's bakery, 7th ave. b'twn 55th and 54th. and if your looking for lunch, don't miss the burger joint in the parker meridien.

jennymary Apr 16th, 2008 11:24 AM

Hi,

The McDonalds at West 57th Street has closed. Mangia offers a nice breakfast. It's on W. 57th between 5th/6th Avenue... closer to 6th. You can also get a reasonably priced breakfast at Luciano's on W. 56th between 5th/6th... closer to 5th. Rue 57 offers breakfast.. but it might be more expensive. I believe Europa does too... on the corner of W. 57th/7th Avenue. I can't think of any diners nearby... except for the Brooklyn Diner on W. 57th... near 7th Avenue. It's an "upscale" diner... so I'm not sure how the prices are.

otto Apr 16th, 2008 11:42 AM

the brooklyn diner isn't a diner at all, it's a fancyish restaurant ($$$) with just the name. astro diner on 55th and 6th is decent as well.

djkbooks Apr 16th, 2008 11:47 AM

As mentioned, there are typical NY coffee shops all over.

We really enjoy Rue 57 for breakfast, and especially for brunch on the weekends.

Margo_Chester Apr 16th, 2008 12:54 PM

Cosmic Diner is at 8th ave & 52nd, good diner breakfasts and reasonably priced.

There is also a Le Pain Quotidien at 7th and 58th. Excellent coffee, artisan breads, eggs, waffles, fruit, granola etc.

Kaycarl Apr 16th, 2008 01:16 PM

When we stayed there, we at The Park Cafe. That might be the diner Jiminso mentions.

http://newyork.citysearch.com/profil...park_cafe.html

Jimingso Apr 16th, 2008 05:03 PM

Thank you Kaycarl. That's the place I was thinking of.

GwenB Apr 17th, 2008 05:04 AM

Thanks so much for all of the ideas. I'm going to add them to my "list" that I take with me. My rule when in NYC is NO CHAIN restaurants... nothing there that I could find here. I can't wait!!!

gb944 Apr 17th, 2008 06:17 AM

GwenB, keep in mind that Le Parker Meridien, besides having one of the most expensive brunches in NYC, also has one of the great bargains in their Burger Joint, located behind the curtain off the lobby. Great burgers for not much money (although they just raised their prices a bit).

If you can't find it, ask one of the security guards hanging around the lobby where it is...

otto Apr 17th, 2008 08:31 AM

or follow your nose! ;-)

travelbuff127 Apr 17th, 2008 03:16 PM

GwenB - Hands down the best breakfast option is the diner on 8th Avenue off the corner of 49th street - Olympia! best best in town!

socialworker Apr 17th, 2008 06:53 PM

We would sometimes eat at the coffee shop that was on the corner of 7th and 56th that was actually connected to the Wellington Hotel, but has its own entrance on 7th. It is a great little quintessential NY place and closer to the Meridien than Cosmic---even cheaper if I remember correctly! We were also staying at the Meridien when we would eat there. Don't know the name, but just watch for the Wellington.

socialworker Apr 17th, 2008 06:56 PM

PS....no offense intended to anyone, but hell would have to freeze over pretty hard before I would ever consider breakfast at McDonald's when in NYC. One of my many fond memories of being in NY is the plethora of great coffee shops to choose from for breakfast! :)

andrew8 Apr 17th, 2008 07:13 PM

I second that Socialworker.

GwenB Apr 18th, 2008 06:19 AM

and I third! :) :)

lisettemac Apr 18th, 2008 06:36 AM

I think there is also a Pick-a-Bagel at 57th and 7th. At least there used to be ....

dmlove Apr 18th, 2008 08:20 AM

McD's breakfasts don't <i>taste</i> that bad (not that I've had one in 20 years), bur when I see pictures, I feel my arteries hardening!