Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Restaurants and shopping in Beaver Creek?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning our annual Thanksgiving ski trip. We've been to Breckenridge the past two years and enjoyed it, but are looking for a change this year. One of our requirements is ski in/ski out lodging and Beaver Creek seems to have an assortment. Our concern is, will there be enough casual restaurants (we'll have 4 kids from 3-19 with us)to keep us occupied. Also, in the past, the women generally take one day off of skiing and shop. Will we be bored with the shopping and restaurants in Beaver Creek? I understand that it's not a 'town' like Breckenridge, but we would like to try something new. Vail seems to be a choice but it seems so expensive compared to Breck and BC. Thanks for any input!
H
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 08:06 PM

I don't recall much about eating out at Beaver Creek but it is a fantastic place to ski. Much like Vail with super wide runs that make the place seem empty even if they have quite a few skiers. I remember renting equipment from their shop that is as close to the lift as any I've ever seen and had great stuff--none of that worn out junk you usually see in rental shops.

If you stay there make sure you get a parking permit with your rental as BC doesn't allow outside vehicles in town. (They make outsiders park in lots and take a bus into town.) It keeps the traffic down but it also limits the shopping a bit. But Vail is close enough you could zip over there for shopping, eating, whatever.

If you found lodging at BC that's considerably cheaper than Vail, good for you. It was my impression things were priced about equally between them. (I know stuff in BC sells for a mint.)

Another option might be Keystone. Good mountain and they've been building like crazy there the last couple years. They have lots of new ski-in/ski-out condos that look nice. (Some of them look like old mine buildings like you might have seen a hundred years ago.) Keystone also has a neat little area with an outdoor ice skating rink (it's a pond with paddleboats in summer).
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 04:30 AM

Beaver Creek would be perfect. Almost all restaurants are very family friendly. Coyote Cafe and Dusty Boot were two of our favorites. Beano's food is overrated, so while the sleigh ride is fun, skip it. You can also always hop a shuttle to Vail and have dinner there a couple of nights. To me, no ski experience out there is complete without a trip to Los Amigos as the ski lifts close (usually for drinks) and then heading over to the Red Lion for Dinner.

If you can afford it, the Hyatt is superb although the room choices are limited. The Charter would also fit most of your needs, but you'd probably take a shuttle to the slopes. Also look at Borders Lodge.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:55 AM

We have spent the last 4 spring breaks in BC (and 1 summer trip). BC is a very family friendly place but it is just as expensive as Vail. There is shopping but you would be finished in about 1/2 day. You could combine the shopping day in BC with spa treatments at the Hyatt or the Ritz Carlton. For ladies' lunch, go to the Ritz or the Hyatt. If shopping is the priority, you would probably have more fun on the women's day off to go to Vail.

BC has plenty of family friendly dining options. Even though it is $$$$, I highly recommend taking the "sleigh" ride to Beano's. My kids and our friends' kids also like the Swiss fondue restaurant near the BC ice rink (I think it's called the Swiss Stubli). The Dusty Boot is another family friendly dining option near the ice rink.

Do you plan to have a car? If so, the towns of Edwards and Minturn are just a short drive (10 min) away from BC. Both towns have good, family friendly dining options at generally a lower cost than some of the BC dining options. The Minturn Country Club is rustic, grill your own steak or seafood place with a small salad bar and good side dishes. Kids love it. Avon, the town at the base of BC has numerous dining options as well. Dining in Avon, Edwards, and Minturn would be more similar to dining in Breckenridge.

Post any other questions and I'll try to answer.
P
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 12:54 PM

Casual Restaurants: Dusty Boot, Coyote Cafe, Blue Moose. I'm a fan of Beano's - overpriced maybe, but I've always had very good service and an excellent meal. As mentioned, there are many more casual restaurants at the base of the hill in Avon: Pazzo's Pizza, Masato's Japanese (not cheap), Thai, Nepalese, and an Outback (eeek). Edwards: Gore Range Brewery, Fiestas, French Press (great breaky and lunch, expensive dinner).

For a ladies shopping day, I'd hop the shuttle to Vail.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. I love Breckenridge, but I also love variety. According to some of the websites, BC has more green and blue runs than Breck, that would definately be a plus. Well, you sold me. Now I just have to sell the others. Thanks again!
H
PS I'll let everyone know how it goes!
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 12:11 PM

You probably don't need any more convincing, but do go to Vail/Beaver Creek and give it a try. I believe the lift tickets are good at either place. Even if you stay in BC, take the bus to Vail to ski one day. You never mentioned if you would have a car, but if you do, go to Edwards for restaurants and shopping. The Riverwalk area has much more interesting shops than Vail or BC (IMHO). I think the majority of the restaurants in BC are too nice and pricey for kids, but again, with a car you can go to Avon, Edwards and Minturn. Minturn also has Chilly Willy's and the Saloon. Fiesta's in Edwards is our favorite mexican in the area. During the day, for skiing or shopping in Vail, I'd take the bus and avoid the parking cost and hassel.