Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Restaurant suggestions near the Boston Opera House, please!

Apr 25th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,
We are going to the Boston Opera House to see Wicked next week and are trying to locate a good, casual restaurant within walking distance from the BOH. Thanks in advance,
Jayne
Apr 26th, 2006, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Apr 26th, 2006, 08:05 AM

Someone asking the same thing at Chowhound (hope it isn't you LOL!)

http://www.chowhound.com/newengland/...es/101448.html
Apr 26th, 2006, 09:17 AM
TKT

I would go with Penang, about a 3 minute walk,
Pan-Asian.

http://www.penangusa.com/location_boston.html
Apr 26th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!

Wallace and Gromit,
No, that wasn't me. Pretty funny!!!

TKT,
I just called Penang, but they don't take reservations for 4 people. I really want a reservation. Any other suggestions???
Apr 26th, 2006, 11:22 AM

What about PF Chang's? Always a popular place for theatre-goers and they do take reservations. It's probably a 5-minute walk or so. Plus, they have the best chocolate cake!
Apr 26th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the idea carlyshells! I didn't realize PF Changs was that close. When we go to the Colonial, we usually go to Maggiano's which I thought was right there. Am I confused???? Well, I mean more than usual!
Apr 26th, 2006, 05:00 PM

The food is fabulous, if a bit pricey, (no dress code) at "Avenue" within the Hyatt half a block away. You can always order appetizers, etc., off the menu in the huge and comfortable cocktail lounge if you're not in the mood for a pricey full dinner. Menu on website.

If it were me, however, I'd select an appealing restaurant, then take the "T" or taxi to the Opera House.
Apr 26th, 2006, 07:12 PM

Ditto to djkbooks. We ate appetizers in the Hyatt Lounge one evening last winter and they were superb!! It seems a bit of a shame to have a fabulous evening and eat dinner at a chain restaurant, even good ones, just sort of makes the experience less special...JMO
Apr 27th, 2006, 05:54 AM
TKT

You can try Ivy, it is new and has been getting good reviews. Reservations can be made through opentable.com
It is 2 blocks from the theatre.

http://www.ivyrestaurantgroup.com/
Apr 27th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Try Teatro, it's a little more upscale but not too pricy. www.teatroboston.com
May 4th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
I just wanted to follow up on this thread. Thanks everyone for the great restaurant suggestions. We went to see Wicked last night (absolutely incredible show)at the Opera House and decided to try the Hyatt lounge, called Avenue, before the show for cocktails and a light dinner. We were pleased with the food, nothing fancy, just chicken clubs and crabcakes, but it was perfect!! They also serve a variety of salads. It was nice to have a relaxing meal in a quiet, laidback atmosphere after a hectic drive into Boston on a workday evening!!!

There is also a restaurant that looked good, but we weren't interested in a full, sitdown dinner. And, the best part is that it is only a couple of minutes from the Opera House! Thanks again!!!
May 4th, 2006, 04:20 PM

HI Jayneann--thanks so much for the feedback. Isn't that lounge in the hotel nice? Glad you had the crabcakes. We did too and thought that they were yummy. We happened to be staying in that hotel on New Year's Eve and had a late afternoon, pre-party appetizer before the event we were attending. We both loved the atmosphere in the lounge--kind of a cross between Asian and Arts and Crafts--and we thought the appetizers were delicious. Glad you thought the same.....
May 4th, 2006, 05:02 PM

Also available (last we were there) in the Lounge at the Hyatt are cheese and chocolate fondue - lots of fun!

We stayed at the Hyatt over Valentine's weekend. The prix fixe dinner was very reasonable for the quality and presentation and offerings. A very enjoyable Valentine's Day!