Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   restaurant suggestions and places to see for weekend in new orleans (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/restaurant-suggestions-and-places-to-see-for-weekend-in-new-orleans-254943/)

wayne Sep 1st, 2002 08:34 AM

restaurant suggestions and places to see for weekend in new orleans

Will be in NO for weekend in September. Curious as to some of the better restaurants to try - Excellent seafood and New Orleans style foods.<BR><BR>Also what are some of the best destinations to visit there for 3 days.<BR>

jean Sep 1st, 2002 09:43 AM

There have been several threads on this board recently about travel to New Orleans. If you type in New Orleans in the box at the top of the page, those messages should appear. That being said, let me give you some of my favorites. We aren't into dressing for dinner when we're in NO, so the high end places aren't listed here. I know there are some great ones, I just don't go there.<BR><BR>Acme Oyster House for fresh oysters. I wouldn't touch the things myself, but others swear by them. I think the shrimp po-boys are pretty good. There's usually a line at lunch time, but it moves quickly.<BR><BR>Napoleon House for a hot Muffeleta sandwich. And if you are any sort of drinker, try their signature drink a 'Pim's Cup'. Wonderful drink.<BR><BR>Irene's Cuisine for great Italian. They don't take reservations. Be ready to wait.<BR><BR>As far as things to do, take the Street Car for a tour of the Garden District. Get out and walk around a bit. Or stop at the Columns Hotel for a drink at the bar on their veranda.<BR><BR>I keep saying that I'm going to make it out of the Quarter and to the Fauberg Marigny (sp) at night. We've walked around the area during the day, but it's pretty quiet then. Lots of interesting looking bars and restaurants there. We headed there one evening, but only made it as far as Mona Lisa on Royal and ended up staying for pizza. Sort of an odd dinner choice in New Orleans, but very good pizza.<BR><BR>Make sure and take a stroll down Bourbon at night. It's loud and can be crowded, but it's fun. My favorite singer in the area is at the Funky Pirate, Big Al Carson. Huge man, with a nice voice and a great stage presence. Sings the blues. It's fun and there's no cover. And it isn't so loud that your ears hurt.<BR><BR>Have fun.

dcp Sep 1st, 2002 09:56 AM

I would recommend Cafe' Dumond and NOLA.

Hikari Sep 1st, 2002 11:39 AM

Cafe Dumon is ok for breakfast. Actually everyone should eat there for breakfast at least once (unless you have issue with sugar. And word of advice, don't wear black when you go). But all they serve is Beinegt's and coffee (though it is the best in town). If you are looking for seafood there is a place called the Old Nawlins Cookery (or at least I think that is what it is). I had alligator there, and though that isn't seafood really, it was very good.

Lee Sep 1st, 2002 12:05 PM

I highly recommend the Palace Cafe on Canal street. The food and service are both excellent. I went for lunch, which was wonderful, but less expensive than dinner prices. I would go here before I'd eat at some of the other well known NO restaurants. I also recommend Cafe Dumonde in the Quarter for beingets. You just have to have those while in NO and they are fantastic! One place to avoid--the Court of the Two Sisters. The buffet is overpriced and the food and service leave much to be desired.