Restaurant review-Louis's at Pawley's Island SC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But, sent the kids out for dinner Saturday night while we kept the grands. They went to Louis's at Pawley's Island (Louis Osteen, of Charleston "fame"). He opened this restaurant about 2 years ago to great fanfare--his return to Pawley's after years in Charleston. The friends we share our condo ownership with went and said the food was good but the service was terrible. I figured that by this time he would have that ironed out. NOPE
Their reservation was for 9. They ordered appies (LOTS, as is the family tradition). Waiter disappered for a long time. Then came back and said the kitchen was closing in 10 minutes so they needed to order dinners. No problem. DDIL and DD ordered lobster. Waiter disappears for half an hour--still no appetizers. Comes back and says there is no lobster. DDIL says "if the kitchen is closing, etc. why did it take 30 minutes to tell us". And mind you, ALL these kids have worked in fine restaurants and managed a restaurant--and appreciate really good food--and service. Good service is highly rewarded in our family. Hour and a half for the appetizers.
Food was good--but not that good. Back to Frank's.

And the crusher is, Louis was there and making rounds in the restaurant. Signed some cookbooks. Maybe he is Rocco in disquise.
They have a big patio/bar with a band. Obviously that is where the service goes.

Never again.

Gretchen
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 10:37 AM

Gretchen,

thanks for the warning. We have both Louis's and Frank's on our to-try list in that area.

Interestingly, we have eaten several times (at lunch) at the attached patio/bar you mentioned (The Fish Camp Bar), and both the food and service was fine. Odd that the same wait staff (?) does good outside but not inside.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Definitely do Frank's--either the main restaurant or Outback. Slightly different menu. We like Outback a lot. I was amazed. Daughter said when she arrived that we needed to try Louis's--I said I hadn't asked our friends again about it but SURELY it was Ok by now. I think the bar must be where the money is.
We also ate at Bistro 217, the "upscale" sister restaurant to The Island Cafe and Deli--same chef. We enjoyed it VERY much. Good looking decor. We like the Island Cafe also, particularly the calamari and the fried tomato stack with fried oysters. Have a good time.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 08:34 AM

Thanks Gretchen.

We too like Bistro 217 (been there for lunch several times); haven't tried Island Cafe yet, but as my better half loves fried green tomatoes and I love oysters (any way I can get them), we'll definitely stop in.

We tried Orobosa's a few months ago for lunch and were very impressed (decor is not much but the food & prep was very nice). Have you tried that? IIRC, it's around the corner from the Hammock Shops, on the left a little ways down one of the causeway roads to Pawleys.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Hadn't heard about that one. Will write it down. We see that Hana's has changed names so I assume new owners.