Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Restaurant Recommendations near Hyatt Regency Embarcadero (in San Francsico)

May 8th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Hi All,

A friend is heading to a meeting in San Francisco this coming weekend (May 10 to May 13)and was asking about restaurants you'd recommend. She'll be by herself and would like to be within close walking distance to the hotel (or short taxi ride). She loves Italian food but is up for anything "not too exotic". Any ideas?

Many thanks!
May 8th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and any ideas about a quick hop on trolley mini fun ride for her to do? Anything interesting she can see during the day within a shortish distance from her hotel? Anything she shouldn't miss?
May 8th, 2008, 04:07 PM

For a single, I would eat at the counter at Tadich - nothing more "typical San Francisco" than that. If she really wants Italian, dine next door to Tadich at Perbacco.

My choice for "me" would be Slanted Door at the Ferry building - but Vietnamese food might be "too exotic". Great views of the Bay. One of our most popular restaurants. My wife met friends for lunch there yesterday.

The Calif. Cable Car line runs next to the Hyatt. If she wants a more "complete" experience, take the Calif Cable Car to Powell St. Get off & switch to the Hyde St Cable Car going towards the Wharf (not the Taylor line). Get off the cable car at Green St & dine at Frascati (Italian). This is a lovely area of the City.

Tadich is closed on Sunday, and Perbacco might be too. See details at www.sfgate.com

Stu Dudley
May 8th, 2008, 04:16 PM

I'm going this weekend also and we have our reservations at the Slanted Door. I've been there before and it's fabulous, but yes, maybe too exotic (and it might be tough to get last minute reservations).

Your friend might be interested to know that there's apparently a big fireworks display tomorrow night around 9 PM after a concert on Pier 30/32, so she might want to walk down the Embarcadero from her hotel to see them.
May 8th, 2008, 04:32 PM
dmlove

Osha Thai (adjacent to the Hyatt Regency), Chaya (down the block), Americano in the Hotel Vitale (around the corner).

May 8th, 2008, 04:55 PM

One of my favs is Town Hall, www.townhallsf.com at 342 Howard St.

Comfortable enough for a single to sit and eat at the bar and make some new friends.

Their Chocolate Pot De Creme is worth the trip alone.
May 8th, 2008, 06:16 PM

Fog city diner is just a short trolley ride north or a good walk.
May 8th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

these are all fantastic! i too have recommended slanted door as I have had lunch there before. I think she will manage there with rice and something but I will warn her it's mostly "exotic".

NWWanderer, thanks for the fireworks tip! She loves seeing fireworks. I'll let her know about it.

Thanks everyone for your suggstions. I'll pass it along.
May 8th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Kal

We've been to Perbacco's 2x (Mrs Kal 3x) and it's never failed us.

The salumi plate is tutto bene.
May 8th, 2008, 10:16 PM

Hello maria, another vote for Perbacco. Here is their website so your friend can review it.

http://www.perbaccosf.com/
May 9th, 2008, 06:10 AM

Hey there Kal, your recommendations are usually right on. I just looked at Perbacco's website - very interesting menu.

I'll check it out thanks!

May 9th, 2008, 08:02 AM

Another Ferry Building restaurant worth considering is Hog Island Oyster Company. In addition to the raw bar choices, they make one of the most unique clam chowders around and they usually also have a daily special of fish or shellfish pan-roasted or sauteed.

Town Hall is good, can be boisterous at times, but in a nice way. The Town Hall people also own Salt House, which is near Mission and First Street. Bit different menu, but same good cooking and thoughtful wine list (many wines by the glass).

One Market is right across the street from the Hyatt. I've always considered One Market my "go-to" place when my dining companion wants something non-exotic but still seasonal and contemporary. I've had many solo meals there and have always been treated nicely.
May 9th, 2008, 08:18 AM
dmlove

In the same category (read: higher-priced) as One Market is Boulevard, also across the street from your hotel. I prefer Boulevard to One Market, but that's just personal taste. both are very popular.

May 9th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Kal

Corina...their short rib ragu is .

Love the beets too.

Not as dressy as the website seems to show.
Ever since our trips to Italy we try and get a cheese plate for dessert when we go out and Perbacco's didn't disappoint.

L'italy..did you try the salumi?
May 9th, 2008, 09:50 AM

I prefer Boulevard as well. Decor is more interesting.
May 9th, 2008, 10:33 AM

Boulevard has nice counter seating where you can watch all the line cooks do their thing. Lots of singles there. I indulged myself a few years ago when my wife pulled an all-nighter at work.

Stu Dudley
May 9th, 2008, 10:34 AM
dmlove

Decor is more interesting.

Not to mention that the food is better

May 9th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

You guys are the best and I think she's got it now. I've printed all the recs and she has them on a folder along with her boarding pass.

She wanted me to relay her regards and much appreciation for your thoughtful recommendations.

NWWanderer, she was ticked pink, as expected, about the fireworks display and plans to have a walk and see it.
May 9th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

that was supposed to be "in a folder". Oooops.
May 9th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Yea dmlove.... I just didn't want to say based on my solo experience at One Market. I was having dinner with my husband at the time, now my ex, who is a chef. This was over 10 years ago. He ordered the crab cake appetizer which I was shocked at because it was so expensive (for that time); it was about $10. Well, when it arrives it was sooo underwhelming. There was a solitary sad little crab cake of average size. I said to him "wow, that better be the best damn crab cake in the world". It wasn't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO