Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Restaurant Recommendations in Hoboken, New Jersey (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/restaurant-recommendations-in-hoboken-new-jersey-561645/)

seetheworld Sep 29th, 2005 03:01 PM

Restaurant Recommendations in Hoboken, New Jersey

Hi!

My husband and I would like to take our son and his girlfriend (vegetarian) out to dinner. Can anyone recommend restaurants in the immediate area?

We do not have a budget and the only requirement would be at least a couple of vegetarian selections. Otherwise we are open to any type of food with a nice atmosphere (rather than a bar type establishment).

Thanks for your help. :D

bill_boy Sep 29th, 2005 03:54 PM

Amanda's (Washington St / 10th St) - very good American/French fusion fare with good wine list. Good brunch.

Anthony David's (10th or 11th St. and Bloomfield) - good Italian dishes (a little nouveau) with mostly homemade ingredients; BYO only.

Augostino's (Washington St. and 12th or 13th) - excellent family-dining Italian; red sauce; seafood; veal chops; friendly Jersey-Italian waitresses. If we're in Hoboken, this would be the place Id go back to in a heartbeat.

seetheworld Sep 30th, 2005 02:32 AM

Thanks bill_boy for the recommendations. Augostino's has some great online reviews.

There is also a restaurant on the street that is located across from the promenade (Frank Sinatra Blvd, close to River St., I think). It has some outdoor seating, cafe style. Do you know this place? I've passed it by a couple of times, but never paid close attention.

Thanks.

bill_boy Sep 30th, 2005 02:41 AM

First of all, just as a disclaimer, I'm not from Hoboken. But we've been there often enough, when visiting/meeting with friends who live in New Jersey, and liked it proximity to Manhattan. Hence, I may be referring you to the wrong place, but, the outdoor seating cafe you may be referring to may be Cafe Elyssian (sp?). This one is operated by the same ones as those of Amanda's.

Ryan Sep 30th, 2005 05:21 AM

As you know, until recently, I lived in Hoboken. I lived there for about 10 years and dined out at least once a week.

The two best options are Amanda's and The Elysian Cafe. Both are owned by the same couple, the Flynn's. Amanda's is higher end, the Elysian is more casual. Both have very good food and nice wine lists. The Elysian does have a dining room but it is definately more of a cafe environment, ie a nice crowd at the bar.

Augustino's is very good and ranks as one of the best Italian options in NJ. Sharon treats all the guests like long lost friends. Don't mind the hug goodnight and the occassional curse word. But, it is cash only and I'm not sure it'd be the best spot for a vegetarian. Although, with a couple of days notice they'll make something up specifically for you (I call ahead and make sure they have Osso Buco when I go.) Not sure when you are looking to go, but they only have 8 tables and reservations can be tough to get, at times.

It if you want a view, Lua, on 14th street has a great view of NY. The food is generally good but it isn't my favorite environment.

Personally, with budget not an issue, I'd opt for Amanda's and if you're looking for more atmosphere (and can get in) Augustino's.

seetheworld Sep 30th, 2005 12:19 PM

Thank you Ryan and bill_boy!

It sounds like we have a couple of great choices, but it seems like ressies are in order.

BTW, Ryan, my son loves Hoboken (and we do too) :D

Thanks again!