Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Restaurant near Queensborough Community College (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/restaurant-near-queensborough-community-college-833865/)

abram Apr 2nd, 2010 07:53 AM

Restaurant near Queensborough Community College

We hope to go see Tommy Tune (my favorite performer) at 3PM on Sunday, April 25. Our flight home from LGA is at 8PM, and we'd like to have a quick, early supper before we go to the airport. Ideally, we'd like someplace within walking distance of the theater. We enjoy moderately priced (entrees less than $25) ethnic restaurants. Thanks!

jroth Apr 2nd, 2010 11:31 AM

Noting your flight schedule it would appear that you might not have enough time following the concert to dine and then to get to the airport to checkin, do security, et al. You might consider eating before the concert and head for Flushing where you have a great selection of Asian restaurants - some of that best cuisine in the world. A couple of recs: Spicy and Tasty, Joe's Shanghai. This is assuming you are travelling by car.

abram Apr 2nd, 2010 03:22 PM

No, we are not travelling by car--that's why I asked for a restaurant within walking distance. I figure that if we get to a restaurant by 5:15 and leave the area at 6:30, we should have enough time to make our flight--we have no luggage to check and will print our boarding passes in advance.

But, thanks anyway.

nytraveler Apr 2nd, 2010 04:00 PM

How do you plan on getting from the restaurant to LGA? Cabs don;t cruise in that area and public transit will make you late for your flight. I would find out from the airline the time by which you must check in - then figure out how long it will take to get to the airport. Also - 45 minutes is an awfully rushed dinner. Agree that you might not have time.

ellenem Apr 2nd, 2010 04:00 PM

The college is located at the edge of Queens in a very residential area. This is an area of mostly singelle-family residences in which most residents have cars. The closest area of restaurants would be along Northern Blvd, a 10 minute walk just to get to Northern Blvd from the campus, never mind how far along the boulevard you would have to go to find a restaurant worth choosing. There's a cluster of places on Bell Blvd between 47th and 48th Street, which is more like a 20-minute walk. If you go to Googlemaps and search "Bayside, NY restaurants" you will get an idea of where possible restaurants are located in relation to the college.

To get to LGA from either of these locations, you will probably have to call a car service, so allow plenty of time to make the call, wait for the car to arrive, and then get to LGA.

ellenem Apr 2nd, 2010 04:04 PM

excuse me . . single

nytraveler Apr 2nd, 2010 04:05 PM

Sorry - you could arrange for a car service in advance but I'm not sure what they will charge. Public transit isn't an option - that route is cross-Queens - and would take several buses and well more than an hour.

abram Apr 2nd, 2010 06:55 PM

We will be arranging a car service in advance--that's how we usually get to/from LGA.

We won't have to check in at the ticket counter, just go through security and get to the gate 30 minutes before the flight.

Since we will be leaving Mnahattan between 2 & 2:30, and not getting home until after 10PM, we'd really like to grab a quick bite between the show and LGA. If we have to, we can get something at LGA to eat on the plane, but that isn't my first choice.