Restaurant in walking distance of Pier 16, South Seaport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some help...I need a good restaurant, hopefully within a block or two of Pier 16..is there anything?
How hard would it be to get a cab there and go somewhere else...probably what I would rather do...?
Thanks.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 09:39 AM
mp

google Stone Street in Manhattan - a few good places like Adrienne's pizza bar, or a new 24 hour place call Gold Street
try www. menupages or www.nymag,com
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 11:42 AM

Unfortunately, that is NOT an area known for "good restaurants," at least by New York standards.

Take a cab elsewhere.

Old Jul 6th, 2008, 09:42 AM

Pier 16 at Southstreet seaport or another one? If the seaport, Bridge Cafe is a good choice about three blocks away.
Chinatown in nearby.
Just saw the Waterfalls on the boat ride from Pier 16 which was great.
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 10:40 AM
jtp

Les Halles is on John Street -betw. Broadway & Nassau St (about a 5-6 block walk) and worth it --

Cabana is an upbeat and festive place with decent food and very good service - (not a destination place) 89 South St Seaport Pier 17

South from where you will be and woth the 8 minute taxi ride is
W-50 (a new James Beard Nomination for Best Chef restaurant) small so reserve early!
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 11:32 AM
jtp

One more recommendation that can't be overlooked - Wallse - closer then Vienna @ 344W.11th Street (Washington) a short Taxi ride (10 minutes or less)
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Part of the situation here is that my senior mom(82) is with, so even a 5 or 6 block walk might be too much at that time of day. Once we are in a cab...we could go anywhere except the sooner we can get in the better, as it will be 8 when we get of the boat. Also, she doesn't like many different foods, so we are limited there. I thought the menu at Les Halles looked good. The Bridge Cafe looked good, but food is probably a little "fancy" for her. Keep suggestions coming...what do you know about Crispos?
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 10:40 AM
mp

Crispo is a very reliable good, not great Italian restaurant on West 14th Street between 7th and 8th, a block from my house - I've been many times. A cab from South Street would cost around $10. - $15. depending on the time of day and traffic. The menu has a nice variety of well executed classics and more adventuresome foods.It is a large and comfortable space and attracts a mixed crowd of locals and tourists and families. There is a huge room in the back of the restaurant. The service is uniformly pro. You can reserve on opentable.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 10:40 AM

Crispo is a popular restaurant among local foodies for their authentic Italian dishes. A lot of locals swear by it, but I'm in the minority, because even as we used to frequent it, there are others that we like better nowadays. It's along 14th Street, between 7th and 8th Avenues and reservations are not difficult as long as you do it at least 1 week in advance.

http://www.crisporestaurant.com/

Since you seem to be willing to go farther from South Street Seaport, I'd also suggest another Italian restaurant in North of Little Italy (Nolita area) called Peasant. The northern Italian dishes here are very good amidst a nice open kitchen atmosphere with 2 large brick ovens.

http://www.peasantnyc.com/
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 10:58 AM

Crispo's is quite good. I've been there a few times with my SIL who lives fairly close. Also check out Antica Venezia, which is at 396 West St (at 10th). Very good food and tables aren't crammed together so it's easy to carry on a converstaion - very pleasant atmosphere. Not far from your location.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Would we have trouble getting a cab back to Grand Hyatt from Antica V.?
It has some great reviews....Crispos are sort of mixed.
Another question--Lombardi's does not take reservations. Would it be a long wait at 8:30 on a Thursday night?
How about Adrienna's Pasta Bar...closer to South Seaport?
Thanks again..just looking at all the possibilites.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 05:01 AM

I like Les Halles and across the street is a servicable Korean restaurant.

I do not understand the attraction of Gold Street, over priced diner food.

Delmonico's Cafe, while still clubby is much cheaper than the main dining room.

Chinatown a 10 minute walk to the north has a quieter restaurant than nost, especially sister restaurant Joe's Shanghai, Joe's Ginger on Pell with exceptional rice cakes, chow fun, and soup noodles.

Adrienne's is good for downtown but a middle level pizza place.

By the way for excelelnt pastries try Financier, there are three locations but they know what they are doing,

If you get stuck Salud,a block from Pier 17, a tapas/South American resaturant with decent food, service is slow.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 05:38 AM

<would we have trouble getting a cab back to Grand Hyatt from Antica V.?>

We didn't (of course, weren't going to the Grand Hyatt). West St is very busy and I usually haven't had any particular difficulties getting a cab.