Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Restaurant Ideas Seattle, Friday Harbor, Victoria, Vancouver? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/restaurant-ideas-seattle-friday-harbor-victoria-vancouver-361306/)

elnap29 May 15th, 2008 05:20 PM

Restaurant Ideas Seattle, Friday Harbor, Victoria, Vancouver?

Looking for moderately priced as well as bargain type excellent food in these areas.
Help, please?

TTess May 15th, 2008 09:30 PM

Any particular areas of town? How about cuisine?

suze May 16th, 2008 06:49 AM

Seattle- DeLaurenti's Italian Market, Mishou, Market Grill sandwich counter, Emmett Watson's Oyster Bar... all open for lunch, all in the Pike Place Market.

It's harder to find bargain prices for dinner-time in downtown Seattle. Any preference for type of food? Mexican? Thai? Italian? Japanese?

NWWanderer May 16th, 2008 07:45 AM

In Seattle--Noodle Ranch is a favorite "cheap eat" downtown. And I agree with the suggestion to try places in the market. I'd add El Puerco Lloron on the hillclimb.

In Friday Harbor--check out the Market Chef. I think they may only be open for breakfast and lunch--it's mostly a takeout place but there are a few tables.

Vinnie's has decent Italian at prices that are moderate for Friday Harbor.

I also like the burgers and stuff at the brewpub (Front St Alehouse I think?) although I've heard mixed reviews.

In Victoria--fish & chips at Barb's Place on Fisherman's Wharf.

In Vancouver--my guilty pleasure is breakfast at the White Spot--it's kind of like a Canadian Denny's with good value prices. I like the full service one at Seymour and Georgia (I think that's the intersection).

There's also a place next door to Vij's, my favorite Indian place in Vancouver, run by the same people, that is supposed to be less expensive and not as hard to get into. I think Vij's is a good value and worth the (small) splurge however.

In both Victoria and Vancouver, Milestone's is a local chain that's pretty good and not too expensive.

NWWanderer May 16th, 2008 07:50 AM

I just thought of another lunch place in Seattle--if you like Japanese, I just had lunch yesterday at the place that's about halfway down the Harbor Steps (can't remember the name of it). They had what I thought was a very good lunch special of a salmon roll, 4 pieces of sushi (chef's choice) and miso soup for $9.50.

elnap29 May 16th, 2008 08:57 PM

We love all kinds of food.
On this trip we will not have a car, so restaurants should be walking distance from the hotel, unless the place is really worth the taxi ride. We have never been to these cities, so we are not familiar with the areas yet.
We'll be near downtown and Pike Market in Seattle.
In Victoria we will probably be at Abigail's, about 3 blockc from downtown. In Vancouver on Robson St, probably at the Listel. Bringing casual and nice-casual clothes so prefer very good, fresh food served in similar style. Thanks for all the ideas.

NWWanderer May 17th, 2008 06:35 AM

I think everything that's been mentioned is walking distance, with the exception of Vij's which is *definitely* worth the taxi ride!

And pretty much everything's casual out here so that's definitely not an issue.

suze May 17th, 2008 08:04 AM

There's lots of place around the Market in Seattle, you won't have a problem! Along 1st - Bacco, Le Pichet, Virginia Inn are all nice.

Further into Belltown - Ohana's, Frontier Room BBQ, Mama's Mexican Kitchen, Noodle Ranch, Wann's, Saito's are all good.

elnap29 May 17th, 2008 08:09 AM

Thanks! Are these Seattle spots for dinner or lunch?
Any more ideas for Victoria or Friday Harbor?

Fodorite018 May 17th, 2008 08:14 AM

elnap--Wee have stayed at Abigails and really liked it. Another vote for Barb's and Milestones there too. Another place that was not expensive that we liked was Pagliacci's. No reservations, so get there early. In Seattle Baccos has really good breakfasts. The crab omelet is excellent.

NWWanderer May 17th, 2008 08:36 AM

Most of the Seattle spots mentioned are open for both lunch and dinner.

I must have eaten at Bacco on an off morning a month or two ago when I was staying at the Inn at the Market because I know lots of people like it. My experience was that the food was just ok (although I did not try the crab omelet) and the service was not very good.

My favorite spot for breakfast in the Market is Cafe Campagne but it's only open for breakfast on the weekends and it's on the expensive side.

Oh, I just thought of another inexpensive place in the Market to try for lunch--Beecher's, which has amazing mac and cheese to go (there are a few seats at a counter as well).

elnap29 May 17th, 2008 04:46 PM

Thanks, suze, NWWanderer, and mms for all the ideas!

elnap29 May 22nd, 2008 01:42 PM

ttt

suze May 22nd, 2008 01:47 PM

I'll agree with the Bacco experience being hit or miss. I most often just drop in for a glass of wine at the bar on my lunch-hour (haha).

Just thought of another... Wann's at 2020 2nd Avenue is a Japanese Izakaya place that opens at happy hour and serves into the evening. www.wann-izakaya.com. It is moderately priced imo because there are many "small plate" dishes you can order.

Sorry, I only know Seattle, can't recommend anything in Friday Harbor, Victoria or Vancouver myself.

Fodorite018 May 22nd, 2008 02:04 PM

Maybe we have just been lucky, but every time at Bacco's it has been great. I have only been for breakfast though. On a trip in the fall with a friend, we had breakfast there 5 mornings (cn you tell we liked it? LOL!) and it was great each time.

suze May 22nd, 2008 02:10 PM

Pike Place Chowder (another great, very reasonably priced place in the Market)

ncounty May 22nd, 2008 04:49 PM

I may be going for Labor day weekend staying at the Vintage Park. Thanks for the tips as well!