Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Restaurant dress codes (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/restaurant-dress-codes-468189/)

marthagrif Aug 18th, 2004 07:35 PM

Restaurant dress codes

Only 3 weeks to go until we hit the US for our long awaited holiday. I am having concerns about dress codes for restaurants. Here is Australia, and particularly in Canberra things are very casual. In fact there is only one restaurant in this whole city that has any dress code whatsoever. It is quite normal to go to dinner in jeans (or short in the summer) and sneakers. Obviously some people do dress up but it's not obligatory.
As we eat early (around 6 pm) we will probably go straight from our day out sightseeing to the restaurant. Will we be turned away in our casual gear?

Patrick Aug 18th, 2004 08:00 PM

Wow. We need more information. Where in the US? Things in beach resorts are a lot more casual than say midtown Manhattan. And the type of restaurant makes a big difference. As long as you have shirts and shoes on, you can generally eat in most fast food places and even moderate family places. Even many very expensive and formal places have dropped their jacket and tie requirements, and you may even see someone in some of them in designer jeans. Depending on the area and the place, shorts may not be allowed except in the most casual of places. And sometimes men must have a shirt with a collar (no t-shirts). Some may even have a no "athletic shoes" policy. So as you can see, there is no easy answer.

marthagrif Aug 18th, 2004 08:16 PM

We are only going to Hawaii, California and Las Vegas.
In Honolulu we are going to Duke's and probably only really casual places so I assume that's not an issue. Similarly we will eat where we can when in Anaheim.
In San Diego we want to go to somewhere in th Old Town(Berta's Latin American restaurant or similar), Anthony's Fish Grotto and somewhere in Balbao Park (Prado's maybe). I was also considering Parallel 33.
In Palm Springs we thought Las Casuelas Terazza or something like that.
In Las Vegas we want to eat at Samba's (Mirage)one night and the rest will probably be buffets.
In Yosemite and Death Valley it will all be casual or whatever is available.
In San Francisco some of the places we thought of are Kuleto's, Burmese Super Star, Yank Sing and the Slanted Door.
I am thinking most of these places are not really upmarket.
My husband always wears polo shirts never T-shirts. Are they strict about teenage clothing? My 14 year old only has T-shirts!!!
While we're on the subject..we are going to the theatre in Orange County to see "Rent". What is appropriate dress code for this ?

k_999_9 Aug 19th, 2004 05:27 AM

Of course, it would be difficult to comment specifically on each place you mentioned, but in the general, dining attire in the U.S.is very casual.

I'm sure there are a few restaurants here and there that "encourage" men to wear jackets, but those would only be at the very high end price-wise.

Really, these days, no one cares how you dress at a restaurant. And Las Vegas seems like the casual capital of the world -- lots of shorts, jeans, halters and T-shirts.

If I were you, my last concern would be dining dress codes in the U.S.

Underhill Aug 19th, 2004 05:35 AM

The San Diego area is very casual. For San Francisco restaurants you might want to forego shorts and jeans (the weather will probably be too cool for shorts anyway)and sneakers, especially at Kuleto's, but you certainly won't need a coat and tie.

If you're thinking of Yank Sing, take a look also at Gold Mountain, a huge place offering excellent dim sum and congee. Our friends from England loved it.

nytraveler Aug 19th, 2004 05:37 AM

While its trus that dining is becoming much more casual - very few places still require jacket and tie - there's the question of how comfy you'll feel if very dressed down vs other diners. The places you're going are - mostly - fairly casual - not like Manhattan. But I would imagine that shorts/sneakers will not be generally worn in quite a few of them - even for a 14-year old (unless he looks like a little kid).

You'll be much better off in kahkis and a polo short - or long-sleeve shirt with collar.

Also, I would check on dining hours - especially in SF. Have not been there in a couple of years - but there are upscale places in NY that are just starting to open for dinner that early (8 or 10 are more usual hours for dinner).

Loki Aug 19th, 2004 05:49 AM

I would not go rolling into Samba looking like you just hopped off a tractor. Dress up. And get that 14 year old some decent threads.

Jayne1973 Aug 19th, 2004 06:04 AM

Since you are traveling by plane and packing space is surely at a premium, I wouldn't waste much space trying to pack fancy clothes. If you each bring a wrinkle free nice shirt (maybe long sleeve button down), you can pair that with some nice jeans or khakis and be fine for almost anywhere. If a place doesn't seem like you'd feel comfortable there, you probably won't enjoy yourself anyway. The U.S. is generally very casual and you don't have to dress up or spend a lot of money to have a great dining experience. Wear what YOU feel good in and have a great time!

TxTravelPro Aug 19th, 2004 06:04 AM

I just went to Orlando and we had a private dinner at Christini's, off Sand Lake Rd.
Christini's is in the Albertson's strip center...
We had 75-100 people present, drinking and eating whatever they wanted. $$$ is what I am getting at.
One of the organizers of the dinner arrived in his walking shorts and they actually made him put a pair of full length Dockers over his similar just above the knee Dockers.
He was dressed nice, not sloppy BUT he looked downright stupid in the size 38/36 pants they made him wear. He is a 32/34.
It was pretty ridiculous...
I mean, it is in a strip center in Orlando for goodness sakes and it was not what I would call "fancy".
Crazy!

travelinandgolfin Aug 19th, 2004 12:18 PM

All the places you mention (esp. Hawaii) are very casual. Shorts and flipflops would work in most places.

Restaurant at a fancy hotel or a four star place, might be the only places you'd need to dress up.

90% of the eateries, shorts, tee shirt, sneakers will be just fine.

HyacinthBucket Aug 19th, 2004 12:24 PM

I cannot imagine that one who plays a gentleman's game like golf would dine in any less than a coat and tie even if the establishments do not require same. There is no reason to act like barbarians.

RandiB Aug 19th, 2004 12:28 PM

Even in fancy places i insist my hubby takes a blazer, maybe makes the tie a option. For me, perhaps off the shoulder light cotton sweater and scarf, because I dont' usally feel cold the way he and my son do. We don't travel much, and we think we have witnessed less formal things and more casual daytime clothing even at nightime.

wemr Aug 19th, 2004 12:32 PM

Rule no. 1: If it has the infamous "No shirt, No shoes, No Service" sign on the door its a dump.

Rule no. 2: Any restaurant which does not let people in who are wearing casual closes is way too expensive anyway.

Rule no. 3: If the restaurant is in a lakes area and has a "Resturant" sign on one end and a "Live Bait" sign on the other watch what you eat.

Mary2Go Aug 19th, 2004 01:29 PM

I live in Orange County, Ca. and there are not many restaurants I can think of in the area where you would feel underdressed in a polo shirt and slacks for a man or a blouse and slacks or dressy jeans and sweater for a woman. I have a teenage son who has no dressy clothing and if we go to a nice place he wears a button up long sleeve shirt and his best jeans. I have seen Rent at the OC Performing Arts center and there were a few very dressed up people but due to the type of show there were also lots of younger folks in very casual clothing...looked just like the cast! Have a blast and don't worry!

J_Correa Aug 19th, 2004 01:44 PM

wemr - I like your rules ;) Just remember the old saying "Yesterday's Bait, Today's Plate"

E Aug 19th, 2004 02:08 PM

Oh dear, these clothing posts tend to get out of hand fast, don't they??

I say that SF is the most formal city you'll be in and you'll all be fine at the places you've mentioned in khakis/polo shirt or equivalent. The kid will be fine in t-shirts, although indeed, in SF, I hope he'll have a jacket or something to ward off the chill.

Have a great trip--sounds like fun!

roy Aug 19th, 2004 04:50 PM

However the dress code for the restaurant works, one thing that will immediately identify one as ignorant is wearing a hat (baseball type particularly) in any eating establishment. This exempts of course, those that may find it necessary due to a medical problem.
Add a cell phone that is turned on and you have a total a..h...
I feel much better for having said this!

marthagrif Aug 19th, 2004 07:08 PM

Thanks you all so much for your comments I had a good laugh reading them. I suppose in the scheme of things it is such a silly thing to worry about. I guess I should be more concerned about getting strip searched at the airport!
I am sure we won't embarrass ourselves, and I will take my son shopping on the weekend for a decent shirt.

Patrick Aug 19th, 2004 07:30 PM

roy, I get a kick out of your saying that Steven Spielberg, Bruce Willis, Matt Damon and others are ignorant.
I don't think they and many others go anywhere to eat without wearing a baseball cap.

sart29 Aug 19th, 2004 11:11 PM

marthagrif: There are still places in Palm Springs with dress requirements, but Las Casuelas is not one of them. And this time of year most people will probably be in shorts.
And just to add my 2 cents, I think you posted a valid question. Why worry about feeling uncomfortable when a simple question can get the reassurance you need.
We also leave for Hawaii in 3 weeks. Maybe we'll bump into you at Duke's.