Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Restaurant around Union Square (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/restaurant-around-union-square-482744/)

mariya Oct 27th, 2004 05:49 AM

Restaurant around Union Square

Our family with 9 year old son will go to Salva's Snowshow on Sunday in Union Square at 2pm and need place to eat afterwords (around 4PM). We don't need specifically kids place. Not a burger or dinner place and my husband don't like oriental food. Please help me find reasonably priced (entree no more than $25)place for us to eat. I'm not sure if places will be open at 4PM. I've did some research on citysearch, but still confused and prefer recommendation.
Thanks a lot,
Mariya

nytraveler Oct 27th, 2004 05:53 AM

Check out menupages.com. It lets you search by location and type of cuisine - and then you can check out which fit your budget - and will be open all day - vs. just for lunch and dinner.

MFNYC Oct 27th, 2004 05:55 AM

There's a very charming little Italian place, I just discoverd on 3rd avenue at 19th st. It's called Piccolo. Also for French Brasserie type food, Cafe Deville, on 3rd Avenue and 13th St. On Park AVenie South between 17th and 23rd St there are several decent places, Park AValon, CHanga (Mexican), Angelo & Maxie's (Steak) to name a few.

tpatricco Oct 27th, 2004 08:02 AM

Angelo & Maxie's is a good suggestion. Also City Crab at 19th & Park and right behind it is one of my favorites, Duke's which has great burgers, sandwiches, mac & cheese. You may want something fancier. Park Avalon & Blue Water Grill are also right there, but may be too expensive depending on what you order. Many good ones in this area!

Suzie Oct 27th, 2004 08:08 AM

I like Kuletos at 221 Powell Street. It's Italian and our kids can always find something they like at Italian restuarants. They serve 11:00-11:00 on Sat & Sun.

MFNYC Oct 27th, 2004 08:23 AM

Slava's Snowshow is playing at Union Sq, NYC not SF so SUzie's suggestion may be a bit out of the way!

Suzie Oct 27th, 2004 08:26 AM

LOL. Thanks MFNYC. I just saw Union Square and didn't think about where. I guess it would have helped to see NYC somewhere in the post eh? ;)

mclaurie Oct 27th, 2004 08:26 AM

I think Suzie is in the wrong city. I assume we're talking about NYC, yes?

There <i>are</i> so many good places near there. The Coffee Shop (which is not a coffee shop) is a fun, funky place with moderate prices and American food with a Brazilian twist. Steak Frites is a French bistro that specializes in steak and french fries.

America is a very popular place with kids and is not far. It's got much more than burgers. It does get a bit loud though. You shouldn't have a problem at most places getting served at that hour on a Sunday, but you should phone ahead to check. Candela is in the neighborhood and has an early $20 dinner but not sure if it's on Sundays and at that hour.

Budman Oct 27th, 2004 09:14 AM

There's a Tony Roma's in the area. We passed it a couple of times. Their ribs are good, plus you wouldn't have any problem finding something your 9-year old would like. ((b))

FainaAgain Oct 27th, 2004 09:51 AM

Kids, kids, don't argue, everybody's welcome to the Union Squares in both cities!

mariya Oct 29th, 2004 06:50 AM

Thank you very much for all the recommendation. I should also ask were we can park for free around Union Square (NYC).
Mariya

MFNYC Oct 29th, 2004 07:54 AM

I don' think there is any free parking anymore. It's mostly meters, which means adding quarters every hour. There may be some side streets with free parking, but spots are not easy to come by. I would just put in a lot (there are many right in the area).

MFNYC Oct 29th, 2004 07:57 AM

If you mean this SUnday, I wouldn't even drive into the city if you odn't have to. It's Halloween. The halloween parade is huge, and causes major traffic jams. The Union Sq area is just a block east of the parade route (down 5th av in that area).

Maggi Oct 29th, 2004 07:22 PM

Mariya, pretty please, will you post a report on Slava's Snowshow and where you decided to eat when you get back? We'll be at the show in February.

MelissaHI Oct 30th, 2004 02:35 AM

Hey, Maggi, I went to see Slava's Snowshow when they came to Honolulu and I really enjoyed it. However, quite a few people did not. I think if you appreciate the art of the clown, you will find the show to be wonderful and whimsical and well done.

Maggi Oct 30th, 2004 03:39 AM

Melissa I can see how there would be diverse opinions on something like this, as there are with Cirque de Soleil. It seems either you love it or hate it.

mariya Nov 8th, 2004 12:34 PM

This Replay is for Maggi. She ask me to post report on Snowshow. I think it's good family show. A lot of fun for kids and adults. Throwing balls at the end of show is cool. You will leave this show in a good mood.
I don't think though it's the greates show I've seen in my life (as it says in reviews) and not sure if it worth $60. We've got tickets through TDF for $23. We ate in Piccolo restaurant (3 ave between 19 &amp; 20). Dicent Italian place. It was 4pm and not many places is open. Enjoy you show!
Mariya

Maggi Nov 8th, 2004 02:00 PM

Mariya, thank you for taking the time to post a report. I'm glad you liked the show.

I didn't know what you meant by &quot;TDF&quot; and looked it up. It stands for Theatre Development Fund and it looks like I qualify for membership for several reasons. Wish I had know about this beforehand, I could have saved a lot of money on these tickets. But thank you for the tip. Perhaps it will help for future trips.

Maggi