Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Rest of World's cont. to Katrina (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/rest-of-worlds-cont-to-katrina-555910/)

GaryA Sep 1st, 2005 07:24 PM

Rest of World's cont. to Katrina

There's a thread on the Canada post that has some American's thanking Canada for it's offer of help in the wake of Katrina's devastation. That is much appreciated but I believe few people in the US know or appreciate this fact. I thought maybe I would share this with the US board to maybe set the record straight.

Less than 24 hours after the hurricane hit the Gulf Coast there was an outcry from the US media, (and even in some Canadian media), that basically said - 'Sure, when disasters strike in the rest of the world the USA is always front and centre with help and money but when disaster strikes the USA the rest of the world sends consolations at best'.

Well that is totally unfair - at least to Canada and I strongly suspect other countries as well.

Immediately after the full impact of Katrina became apparent Canadian politicians and community leaders where on the lines to the US Embassy and Consulates - even to the White House with queries about how they could help.
Only the Canadian Red Cross got an immediate answer - send money. Everywhere else - including the White House and the State Capitols affected - there was no response. What do you think - we'd send our personell - military and otherwise - to the US uninvited? How do you think Homeland Security would have felt about that? Our Prime Minister was unable to reach your President until today and again offered any help we were capable.

You Americans are our cousins and we know that were a disaster to hit us you would give us all the aid possible - but you would still go through channels and that takes time.

Unfortunately I believe that in the end most Americans will quote the Media Mantra - when you need help we're there, but when we need help - nothing. It's not true, but in this world perception created by the media is reality and that's very sad.

jorr Sep 1st, 2005 07:33 PM

Don't wait for George Bush to answer the phone. Its sort of like waiting for Putin to answer the phone. Any help Canadians can give to American emergency organizations will be very appreciated.

crefloors Sep 1st, 2005 08:09 PM

There was a reference on another thread that there is an article on msnbc.com about offer of assistance from other countries. I went to the site and found the article but it was NOT the headline and I had to hunt for it a little while. It's not the media's job anymore to report the news, but to stir the pot. I heard several media persons make the same references about where were the other countries and yadda yadda and I have not heard ONE reference to the article on the msnbc web site, not even on msnbc. Well, at least they can't say they didn't "print" it...they DID bury on their web site for anyone to find if they wanted to look hard enough.

Little_Man Sep 1st, 2005 08:09 PM

thank you, Canada!

GaryA Sep 1st, 2005 08:22 PM

I have to tell you that in the last 15 years with the emergence of the CNN powerhouse TV news has gone from being primarily a proliferation of information to just another form of entertainment. Consequently if it doesn't sell ads it goes to the bottom of the pile and lets face it - Canada doesn't sell ads unless we're talking about a cold front therefrom.

LoveItaly Sep 1st, 2005 08:36 PM

May I suggest that anyone that is interested go on the Canada Board and thank them for their country's offer of assistant.