Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Resort ideas for East Coast family reunion? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/resort-ideas-for-east-coast-family-reunion-150390/)

lgmaumee Jul 26th, 2001 09:18 AM

Resort ideas for East Coast family reunion?

For my dad's 80th b-day next Memorial Day, our family of 20-25 would like to gather at an inn or resort somewhere between Georgia and West Virginia. Ideally, the resort would offer: <BR> <BR>1. Tennis <BR>2. Golf <BR>3. Swimming <BR>4. Great food <BR>5. Hiking trails <BR> <BR>We're not looking for anything as pricey as The Greenbriar. Any ideas? Thanks! <BR> <BR>

ncgrrl Jul 26th, 2001 09:50 AM

Grove Park Inn, Asheville, NC <BR>Pinehurst, NC (not sure about hiking though) <BR>Isle of Palms, near Charleston, SC <BR>Sea Islands, GA

Susan Jul 26th, 2001 06:40 PM

Kingsmill in Williamsburg has everything except the hiking trails. There is a 4 mile paved walking loop and a state park with great trails is 15 minutes away.

Ann Jul 27th, 2001 05:55 AM

My family had a reunion at that hotel in SE Virginia where Dirty Dancing was filmed. And now I can't remember the name of the place! It's been mentioned on this site before, so you might try a search for Dirty Dancing! <BR> <BR>It was a great spot. Not overly expensive, but not a nasty little cheap spot either. Beautiful setting. The food was fine. Can't remember if there is a golf course, as I don't golf. <BR> <BR>Also, several years ago, we had a reunion at Olgebay Resort in Wheeling, West Virginia. The main hotel sits in the middle of a golf course, and there's tennis, a pool, etc. Also a nice spot. It's just been so long since we were there that I don't remember many details.

Lives In NC Jul 27th, 2001 01:11 PM

I think "Dirty Dancing" was filmed at Luke Lure in NC and, unfortunately, the inn burned down.

Paige Jul 27th, 2001 02:42 PM

Look into Pipestem State Park, West Virginia. It is in a beautiful setting and accommodations are varied and very reasonable. We've held several reunion-type meetings there and have never been disappointed. A world-class golf course and a challenging, but fun par-3. There is horseback riding, and an aerial tram to the lower lodge. Good food, friendly staff, good value for the money. And you will see herds and herds of deer at dusk, not to mention wild turkeys and groundhogs. Oh, there is also a lake to rent canoes, paddle boats, etc. <BR> <BR>A great family destination because it has something for everyone. <BR> <BR>You have received good suggestions on this Board and honestly, I don't think you can go wrong at any of the places. <BR> <BR>Good luck and let us know what you finally decide! <BR>

shyport Jul 27th, 2001 03:36 PM

Kiawah has everything. You can rent houses for the week. I recco the Houses at Turtle Bay. A short walk to the golf and only 20-40 yards to beach. Houses sleep 1 -2 families. Hiking? Along beach perhaps. Charleston is 45 minute drive and is neat with great restuarants. Sea Island was way too stuffy/waspy for me.

JRD Jul 28th, 2001 06:33 PM

www.mtnlakehotel.com shows where part of Dirty Dancing was filmed. <BR>We Virginians were thrilled to have Patrick S here <BR>get it a look.

lgmaumee Jul 30th, 2001 07:01 AM

Thanks for all your good suggestions! I appreciate the help.