Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Resort for family of 14, ages 2-80, preferably in the southeast for this summer

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 07:59 AM
Anita Break

My mom wants to take all of us on a family trip in June 2003 and we need a place that could accomodate all of our various needs. There will be 5 children ages 2-7, 2 teens,and the rest are grown-ups. Someone suggested a cruise but there is concern over the toddlers and also being too cramped. Ponte Vedra is an idea but there aren't any programs for the teens. Sea Island is not an option. Any suggestions?

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 08:03 AM
Kathy

How about Wild Dunes Resort on the Isle of Palms, a short distance from Charleston South Carolina? It's a large resort with a variety of rental options, lots of tennis, pools, right on the ocean and there are programs for the kids.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 08:09 AM
xxx

Wild Dunes is gorgeous! You could rent a couple of houses that are side by side.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 09:12 AM
Anita Break

Thanks for your responses. I failed to mention that we don't want to do any cooking. Does Wild Dunes have restaurants on site and is the American plan available?

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 09:44 AM
xxx

Not sure about the AP but you could all stay in the hotel/inn. The boardwalk villas are gorgeous. Not only does Wild Dunes have restaurants, some of the best restaurants in the south are a 20 minute ride away in Charleston. The kitchens would be great for snacks, drinks and sandwich things so you don't have to run off the beach. Very warm ocean water (mid 80's) in the summer. Mt. Pleasant, a ten minute ride also has a ton of shopping and restaurants.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 11:15 AM
Amelia

I would recommend any of the resorts on Amelia Island. Plantation or the Ritz.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 01:33 PM
Cindy

Rent a huge house in the N.C. Outer Banks. Go to http://www.resortquest.com/outerbanks/
They have houses that even have 2 kitchens! You can also bring in lots of catered food if you don't want to cook. Some of the houses have pools, but get one right ion the beach. It's great!

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 07:22 PM
Kathy

The Outer Banks sounds like a good idea but from her post it sounds like Anita is looking for a resort with "programs" for the kids so I don't think the Outer Banks is what she's looking for.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 01:02 PM
Anita

Kathy-You're right. I do want a place that has things like daycamp for the little ones, activities just for teens (not just golf & tennis) and lots of good service. Call me lazy, but I don't want to have to cook a meal, wash a dish or even spread a PB&J the whole time I'm there!