Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Residents of Kentucky (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/residents-of-kentucky-618309/)

sexystacy46241 May 24th, 2006 10:00 PM

Residents of Kentucky

I am getting ready to relocate to Kentucky in the next couple of weeks.Living where my kids and myself will be safe is my #1 priority. Can anyone that either lives in Louisville tell me which part is the worst to live in? And which side of Louisville is the best to live in? I have heard mixed things from people that don't live there. I heard the Eastside of Louisville is really bad to live in.Then I heard the southside is the safest? So can someone please tell is the north, south,east,westside better to live ?And which part is the worst to live in?
Thank You for all your help, STACY

LLindaC May 25th, 2006 05:35 AM

wow, stacy, I'll probably get flamed, but here goes. First, go to www.tripadvisor under the USA/Kentucky/Louisville forums and read my reply about where to live in Louisville. It is mainly about upscale neighborhoods for the poster. East end of Louisville is the most desirable, IMO. Of course, every city reaches it's limit with development, so it keeps moving east. The newer neighborhoods are on the fringes past Middletown, Jeffersontown and Fern Creek. South End is usually associated with big hair and Nascar. I can hear the sizzling begin..downtown just isn't happening yet residentially. North? That's a river. North of Louisville is Indiana, and lots of people move there for the cost of housing and to have land. Floyd's Knobs area is beautiful. The west end of Louisville is the lowest income and highest crime area statistically. Check for yourself. Do you intend to rent or buy? If you want to buy, look for a realtor at an East End location.

SAnParis May 25th, 2006 05:42 AM

As a former resident of Louisville, I'll add my two cents. Linda is correct on all counts for starters. I really like the Bardstown Rd. area & that is also about as far West as I (personally) would choose to reside. Check out zillow.com & you can get an idea of housing values in areas which can also help determine neighborhood boundaries so to speak (although their info is a tad outdated). I wouldn't rule out Indiana either. Housing in Louisville is still very inexpensive compared to many other portions of the country. Depending on where you are moving from, you may be able to get quite a lot of house for your $$$.

SAnParis May 25th, 2006 05:45 AM

You moving from Indy ?

Gekko May 25th, 2006 06:23 AM

Of course it's very budget-dependent. Also, where you'll be working and the commute you're willing to tolerate are important issues.

The "east end" is the best area to live in, around St. Matthews for example. Indian Hills is the most exclusive neighborhood, with old-school Louisvillians.

LLindaC May 25th, 2006 08:15 AM

I live in the St Matthews are by the park and love it. Great location. I just wanted to add that public schools here have "clusters" and magnet schools, so you don't really have to base your housing decision solely on the school thing. I'm no expert, though, my girls (happily) attend Catholic girls schools. We have some very good schools here, as opposed to the state statistics.

Nanafischer Jun 8th, 2006 05:03 AM

I would suggest looking into Oldham County. We love living out here. The schools are great and the rural atmosphere is wonderful. It's only a 20-30 minute drive into Louisville.