Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Reservations or "wing it" in Key west? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/reservations-or-wing-it-in-key-west-774356/)

shoppinmom45 Mar 21st, 2009 03:13 PM

Reservations or "wing it" in Key west?

We are traveling (two couples) into Ft. Lauderdale, renting a car and traveling the Keys leaving the 19th -24th of April. Our question is: should we reserve before we go or drive and find places to stay? This is a first for all of us, we don't need a fancy resort, but want comfortable, clean accommodations. We are hoping we can find reasonable prices along the way. We just thought it would be more fun to "wing It" but are concerned at the listed prices. We would probably spend at least 2 nights in Key west, and the other 2 somewhere along the way. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

SusanCS Mar 21st, 2009 04:39 PM

You might be comfortable winging it other places, but I'd advise you to book something in Key West.

Supercilious Mar 21st, 2009 04:54 PM

Finding the right place to stay is key in Key West. Lots of first timers book a room at the larger, chain places and then find themselves several miles from downtown. Driving (and parking) is a pain in Key West, so you want to stay as close to Duval Street as possible. Read the reviews on TripAdvisor and then make the reservation.

garyt22 Mar 21st, 2009 05:56 PM

You might consider a property like the Chelsea Inn... excellent location, but not a name chain... decent, clean, and affordable for Key West... have a look on the web ...

shoppinmom45 Mar 21st, 2009 06:14 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'll pass this on to my fellow travelers!(and hope we book a room!)

garyt22 Mar 21st, 2009 06:16 PM

Correction ... Chelsea House Inn... sorry

Peter_krynicki Mar 23rd, 2009 04:46 AM

Key West is a big weekend destination. People drive or fly or KWExpress it down on Fridays and go back on Sunday. If you drive down during the week your chances of just waling into something are better than on a weekend. If you do this you should at least know about the 4 Southernmost Properties and that there are a number of smaller hotels and B&B's along the northern end of Simonton, from about Caroline to Southard.

Pjk

shoppinmom45 Mar 24th, 2009 04:35 PM

Thanks for all your advice, we have booked a place in Key west for 2 nights, maybe 3..can't wait!

happytrailstoyou Mar 24th, 2009 06:04 PM

Wise decision.

SusanCS Mar 25th, 2009 04:47 AM

Curiosity has gotten the best of me. Where did you book?

SAnParis2 Mar 25th, 2009 05:58 AM

2 nights maybe 3 ?? Yes, where did you book ?

smalltowntraveler Mar 26th, 2009 05:23 AM

Consider a night in Marathon at the Sandpiper. Still 65 a night a room and its clean with a very pleasant owner.

shoppinmom45 Apr 6th, 2009 05:44 PM

We booked at Parrot Key Resort, a 3 bedroom condo for 2 nights and we are considering Marathon as our stop on the way down.