Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Reservations near Grand Canyon? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/reservations-near-grand-canyon-84801/)

Michele Aug 29th, 2000 04:16 PM

Reservations near Grand Canyon?

We will be visiting Dec. 29 through 30. Should I go ahead and make hotel reservations? I would rather wait and get a place to stay when we are there. Where is a good place to stay with a GC view? Thank you for any advise.

Bob Brown Aug 29th, 2000 07:20 PM

I suggest you check out the web site for Fred Harvey and Co., known as Amfac. <BR> <BR>This corporation runs lodges in many national parks. This website might help:http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/ <BR>Only Amfacs has lodges with canyon views.

topper Aug 31st, 2000 06:32 AM

lisa Sep 5th, 2000 10:59 AM

Michele -- make reservations as far in advance as possible. Remember that it will be cold on the south rim at that time though. El Tovar is the nicest hotel on the south rim and it has views. Thunderbird and Bright Angel also have some rooms with views.

xxx Sep 5th, 2000 01:34 PM

<BR>you`d bette make them NOW...It is best not to go without reservations..I know there is afew at Bright Angel Lodge(none at Kachina,Thunderbird, or El Trovar)...I`d stay in the park..but there is a village about 10 mi.out of the park..and there are motels..A new place with indoor pool"The Grand Hotel"..the Imax is there too...There is Williams about 50 mi. but not much to do there..I think you`ll disapointed not staying in the park..check out www.amfac.com that`s the Nat' Park website..Just checked it bout'15 min. ago..good luck... <BR>

G.L.Kremer Sep 6th, 2000 03:57 PM

There are nice motels in Tuscayan, just a few miles south of the entrance to G.C. Nat'l Park. BUT MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS NOW!!! Do not wait.

Nona Sep 30th, 2000 02:08 PM

We stayed in Williams Arizona when we went to Grand Canyon last March - rates very reasonable and nice little town. Drive is about half hour but good road and we even drove it at night. If you can get reservations at the canyon, I would but as everyone else says, better do it now!! They fill up fast. <BR>Good luck and enjoy!

CMcDaniel Sep 30th, 2000 03:56 PM

I you can get a room with a view of the canyon at this late date you might also be able to part the seas! :&gt; <BR> <BR>Do try to stay in the park. We stayed in one of the Bright Angel cabins, no view of the canyon but only a couple minutes walk from it. They are "nicely rustic", and very reasonably priced! <BR> <BR>I made our reservations online--check the website already given.

Ann Oct 2nd, 2000 06:47 AM

My husband and I stayed in a Bright Angel cabin (make reservations). We came in at night, and so didn't realize just how close we were to the Grand Canyon. Had we gone for a walk that night, we probably would have fallen in! It couldn't have been more than 100 yards from our front door. Make sure you watch the sunrise. It's DEFINITELY worth getting up so early and standing in the cold.

Don Smith Oct 2nd, 2000 01:27 PM

The answer is "it depends." Last year AMFAC offered a number of Grand Canyon hotels at 2 for 1 on an Internet Special. I visit the Canyon every year and in fact am getting married there in a couple of weeks. If I was doing a trip at that time of the year I would call one of the properties in Tusyan outside the Grand Canyon village and negotiate a good rate. I would then keep checking the AMFAC website for a special. <BR>You are going during a slow period and I wouldn't worry about rooms too much. Of course I also don't mind staying in Flagstaff or Williams and driving if I'm unable to get a room near the Canyon.

rebecca Oct 2nd, 2000 10:42 PM

PHONE Amfac as well as checking their web site. The web site might say there are no rooms, when the live people over the phone can find one. An Amfac reservations agent told me last year they they use different blocks of rooms. Also, i would personally TRY to stay in the park, at El Tovar or Thunderbird or Bright Angel (some of the other park lodges are closed for winter) instead of in a motel, even a good one, in Tusayan. I've done both, and there is nothing like staying right in GC Nat'l Park . And there are restaurants, cafeterias, grocery store, etc right in the Park.

Don Smith Oct 3rd, 2000 07:20 AM

Don't be discouraged by the Amfac operators. We've found many that don't know what they're talking about or just downright rude and arrogant. <BR>A few years ago they were all helpful and friendly. It just depends on what operator you get. I would try to get a property at the Canyon and use the hotels at Tusyan as a backup. <BR>

mike Oct 3rd, 2000 04:35 PM

We stayed a night at the El Tovar. A neat old hotel with small rooms but an authentic feeling. We took the mule ride down to the ranch the next morning and that is an experience in and of itself. There are cabins and a cantina down there for the overnight stay (meals included) and the next day you go back up the canyon on another trail. It was a bit expensive, but a lifetime memory and views of the canyon that are not seen by many others. Have fun and enjoy a spectacular sight.