Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Reservations at Per Se--any suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in New York October 6, 7 and 8 and plan on dining at Per Se any night I can get a reservation.

Is there anything special I need to do or can do, other than calling exactly 2 months in advance (to the day) right at 10:00 a.m.? Is it worth it trying Open Table also?

Thanks!
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 07:14 AM

I've been trying without success to get reservations at Per Se's sister restaurant in Napa, The French Laundry, and feel your frustration.

Open Table is only given two daily seatings of four at TFL, so maybe the same at Per Se? One of the sites linked below says Per Se assigns only one table of 4 to Open Table. So not much help for a party of two. Check this before spending much time on Open Table.

Here are some sites with tips that might help:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/494185
http://www.thesandersens.com/res/forum/read.php?4,5 (says there's a table for 2 on OpenTable for TFL but this is outdated now)

These tips include having a concierge at a ritzy hotel do the booking, get a party of 8 and ask for the private room (which can be reserved up to a year in advance), and have multiple people with speed dial calling right when they open. Or find two more people to dine with you and use OpenTable.

Good luck! If you're willing to do lunch instead of dinner then you'll have somewhat better odds.

Off-topic rant, but Alinea in Chicago (which many feel has surpassed TFL as the # 1 US restaurant) has a much saner reservation policy. On the first day of the month they open up reservations for a full month two months in advance (ie, on May 1 they open up all of July). This works much better for the customers and probably for the reservation staff too.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 07:16 AM

When I try to make that type of reservation, I use two phones and keep hitting redial. It's very frustrating, but if your heart is set on eating there, that is what you have to do and expect to be flexible with the time of the reservation. The two times that we ate in Babbo, it was earlier than I would have liked. I doubt that OT would work. Sine the 6th & 7th aren't weekend dates, your chances might be better. Good luck!
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 07:56 AM

A couple of tips..one know Thomas Keller or be in the media, or use opentable.com and start the process at midnight, 2 months to the calendar date.
Lunch, imho, is a better deal all the way around.
We have dined at Per Se for lunch and enjoyed it immensely but to be honest, there are so many great restaurants in NYC, that I'm glad we went but I won't go back..unless, the big media giants are springing for it!
Good Luck!
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 08:13 AM

We've gotten reservations both times we called just by calling at the right time, staying on hold for around 10 minutes, then being flexible about time. Good luck! I'm pretty jaded about fine dining these days after so many disappointing experiences in other restaurants, but Per Se does not disappoint. They invited us back to see the kitchen a couple weeks ago when we went--I've never seen anything like it.

If you haven't read "Service Included", do so to get extra excited about eating there.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the suggestions!

I will definitely recruit some co-workers to help dial 2 months before the date.

I have read "Service Included" and loved it!
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 11:19 AM

The trick is not to make the reservations yourself.

Agree that a concierge at an exclusive hotel can get you a reservation. We have gone several times and my beau's assistant uses their corporate travel agent who can always get reservations (calling less than 2 month in advance - some tables are set aside for either the famous of the well-connected).

So - use other resources if you are determined to go.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 01:27 PM

Maybe get on the waitlist at Per Se for those 3 nights and see if something opens later, then as a backup have reservations at one of the other NYC French restaurants that also have three Michelin stars (Jean Georges, Daniel, Le Bernardin). LB is mostly a seafood restaurant with French flair but the other two are classic French places.

This past May we had no problems getting reservations at Le Bernardin and Jean Georges using OpenTable, got the times and days we wanted. I know these lists are pretty subjective, but here's a list of "the top 50 restaurants in the world" ... Daniel is ranked #8, Per Se # 10, Le Bernardin # 15, Jean Georges # 51.

http://www.theworlds50best.com/awards/1-50-winners

So you will almost certainly find it much less stressful to snag reservations at one of these other options, and also you'll find the menu choices are much broader (Per Se has a very limited fixed menu each day). Also there's a much better chance that the original chefs (Jean-Georges Vongerichten, Daniel Boulud or Eric Ripert at LB) will actually be in the kitchen than that Thomas Keller will be on-site at Per Se.

Not trying to tell you where to eat, just offering some options of similar caliber in case it doesn't work out at PS. Next time we go to NYC we'll probably go to Daniel's and also log a dozen or so calls to Per Se to see if we get in. If not, to heck with them, we'll probably go to Jean Georges instead.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 02:32 PM

Daniel, Eric and Jean George (JG alone has 14 restaurants, Daniel 12) are celebrities these days, with mini-empires and countless events and media appearances...the chances of any of them being in the kitchen at those particular restaurants in NYC is slim to none.

(This is not to diss them or their places--I've enjoyed meals at their restaurants very much, and in fact JG's Nougatine is one of my NYC faves--just to provide a dose of reality about going to the restaurant of any famous chef these days).
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 03:03 PM

the chances of any of them being in the kitchen at those particular restaurants in NYC is slim to none

Christy, I agree that these guys are all "Celebrity Chefs" with a lot on their plates but for sure Eric Ripert spends most nights at Le Bernardin. He doesn't cook but does sample all the sauces and tastes most outgoing plates, at least according to his book "On the Line". When we were there in May he was briefly swanning about the dining room dressed in his chef whites doing grip-and-grins with the patrons before disappearing into the kitchen.

As for JG and Boulud, while they have 'empires' of restaurants these are their two flagship operations, the ones whose reputations make the others possible, and they supposedly spend little time at the outposts (there's a JG Steakhouse where I live which is only doing fair and it's supposedly rare for him to visit).

The reason I wrote "there's a much better chance" these chefs will be on-site is because Jean Georges and Daniel are their main restaurants, while Keller's flagship restaurant is French Laundry in Napa Valley, and all the Ad Hoc and Bouchon secondary restaurants he has opened in the past few years are located mostly (or maybe entirely) in Nevada or California, so he seems to spend most of his time out west.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 07:39 AM

I've eaten about half a dozen times at Jean Georges and JGV has been on site each time.

I just tried to book Per Se on OPen Table for two months from today-- August 15.

Open Table told me that my request exceeded the time frame. So perhaps they do not book two months from the actual date (????) (I was just checking, but certainly would love to dine there someday soon!)
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 08:13 AM

I stand corrected on those chefs, though I am quite surprised, knowing how much other stuff they do (esp. Ripert with his own tv show!).... I've eaten at JG too but have no idea if he was there. The main thing I remember about that meal was that William Shatner sat next to us and was an (unintentionally) hilarious blowhard!
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 08:50 PM

Your chances of getting a reservation at Per Se right now is slim to none. My brother and I have been trying for six months! But I see Eric Ripert's name has been mentioned a few times. Le Bernadin is exceptional and while it is sometimes difficult getting reservations there too, you will have much more luck. His langoustine dish...phenomenal.

If you like celebrity chefs and want to try something special and are bold, check out Wiley Dufresne's WD50. The food is odd, yet delicious, but more importantly the experience is one of a kind. He's known for his work in gastronomy. We had the tasting menu and when I read bagel, salmon and cream cheese, I expected a bagel, salmon and cream cheese. What I got instead was an ice cream shaped like a bagel, the size of quarter, dried salmon strands and a shaving of cream cheese with unidentifiable garnishes...completely blew my mind how strange it was. But it tasted like a delicious bagel, salmon and cream cheese!

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, there are many other places in NYC worth going to if Per Se is not feasible. But hey, if you do get a reservation, let me know how you did it please!!!
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Just for fun I decided to go onto Open Table to see about booking a reservation. For the dates we are going to be in NY, it's too far in advance, which I already knew, but wanted to see what would happen if I picked an earlier date.

I chose July 14 at 5:45 p.m., party of 4 and it says available. I checked many other dates, and they are available too. When I checked a date that was not available, there was an option to check for the next available date.

Here's what I copied and pasted from the Open Table Website about upcoming availability (not sure how the format will turn out once pasted)

Availability for Per Se
Restaurant Name Price Availability (click time to reserve)
Per Se
Columbus Circle | American
$$$$
No tables are available within 2 hours of your 7:00 PM request.

Per Se Next Available Around 7:00 PM
Saturday, June 19, 2010
9:00

Sunday, June 20, 2010
6:00
6:30

Monday, June 21, 2010
5:30
5:45
8:30

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Wednesday, June 23, 2010
6:30
7:30

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Wednesday, June 30, 2010
5:45

See Next 7 Available ›

It goes all the way through August 13, with some Friday and Saturday nights available, but mostly during the week. I think the key, though, is that it's a party of 4--when I did the same thing with a party of 2 nothing came up.

I wonder if there's a penalty for booking a party of 4 and then calling closer to the reservation and saying the other 2 backed out and now it's a party of 2?

The Open Table site says this "Credit Cards are required for parties of 4 or more. Due to the limited seating available in our 15 table restaurant, parties that cancel or decrease in number less than 72 hours in advance will be charged $175 per
person on the credit card provided"

Seems like booking for 4 and then calling before 72 hours of your reservation to say that it's now a party of 2 might work!

By the way, there are tables available tonight at 6:30 and 7:30 for parties of 4....
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 06:01 AM

It's funny about the reservation size and opentable. I've been checking opentable for weeks for a reservation at Barbuto for 2. It never had anything available, any time, any day. Even when I checked "next available", nothing. So After reading this thread I put in 4 instead of 2, and there was just about any date and time I wanted! In this case, no credit card was necessary.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 07:47 AM

"Seems like booking for 4 and then calling before 72 hours of your reservation to say that it's now a party of 2 might work!"

People on foodie forums like eGullet, Chowhound, etc have tried this at French Laundry and said that the restaurant simply cancels your reservation and gives it to the next waitlisted party. From the restaurant's point of view they have a small number of seats and want to keep all seats full every meal.

Very interesting that there are so many openings for four at Per Se via OpenTable. I dined at a Michelin 3-star restaurant last week and most of the tables could be pushed apart or together to go from 2 to 4 very easily.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 01:00 PM

I think all the tables at Per Se are round. Also, some of the seating is built-in banquette style, so there's no moving that around. I'm racking my brain to try to remember if there were any standard rectangular tables with chairs--the type of tables and chairs you could move to accomodate 2 OR 4. I know there were absolutely not on the elevated section, and I don't remember any in the lower section.

And for the poster that said the OP's chances are "slim to none", I'll remind everyone that we got reservations twice in the past year the first time we called. We called, we held, we reserved.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 01:06 PM

I did a search and it is indeed all round tables, mostly for 4, which explains why there are so many Open Table tables for 4. Pictures:

http://media.timeoutnewyork.com/resi...om-from-S.jpg?

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/i/...kendny_600.jpg

When we've been, there have been a number of other couples (or 3 people) dining. So I have to think they are more flexible about seating 2 people at a 4-top than the Open Table website might be.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

On August 6th I will attempt to get reservations at Per Se for October 6th...if not successful, will repeat for the 7th and 8th.

If I don't get in, guess it was not meant to be.

After reading up on many other second choices, husband and I will try at Eleven Madison Park. Does anyone know if it's hard to get a reservation there? They use OpenTable and I think take reservations no more than 28 days in advance.

Would also like some reviews of Eleven Madison Park if anyone has been there recently.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 09:59 AM

I just tried EMP on Open Table and there were openings for the first seating for two people 7 of the next 15 days, for the second seating on 5 of the next 15 days. Surely a lot better than your odds at Per Se

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -