Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   reservation for room = 1or2 people? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/reservation-for-room-1or2-people-707815/)

bodi May 24th, 2007 04:49 PM

reservation for room = 1or2 people?

Do you assume a room reservation is for two people or have you found the rate is only for one person and there is an additional fee for the second person? Our experence, was a $15.00 "Additional Person Fee" for a reservation made for only one person.

nytraveler May 24th, 2007 04:56 PM

In my experience you tell the hotel how many people will be in the room when you reserve it - and they tell you what it will cost.

Depdning on what the price includes (sometimes free breakfast or drink or spa or ?) there may well be an additional charge for another person.

toedtoes May 24th, 2007 05:48 PM

If you state 1 person at the time you make your room reservation, and 2 of you show up, you will likely be charged an "additional person fee".

If you state 2 persons at the time you make your room reservation, and 1 of you shows up, there usually isn't an extra charge (unless it's one of those "$$ per person, double occupancy" rates).

janisj May 24th, 2007 06:05 PM

OK - Do I understand it correctly? You booked for 1 but 2 of you showed up? Then you may have been lucky the extra charge was only $15.

But what hotel/price range/where??

But you can't generalize. Some places charge per person. Some for a double room w/ extra $$ for more than 2. Some charge other ways . . . .

nyer May 24th, 2007 06:08 PM

In every US and Canadian hotel I've ever stayed in, room rates were for up to 2 people. I have heard that some very budget hotels charge differently
In Europe and elsewhere, I have definitely seen rates that charge extra for a second person.
As others have said, you should always indicate how many people are staying in a room when you make the actual reservations (online or by phone, it always asks for this info).Aside from the honesty issue, it may be a safety issue (max number of people allowed in a room, or in the event of an emergency, for officials to know how many people they might have to look for)

starrsville May 24th, 2007 06:11 PM

I agree with toedtoes. Don't know why - but it does work that way. Now, I always book for 2pp, even when I think I'm traveling alone. That way, friends or family are covered if someone wants to come along on a business trip.

Some hotels (not many, but some) have smaller rooms with smaller beds that are set aside for single travelers. Showing up with 2 instead of 1 changes the room assignments for the hotel.

rkkwan May 24th, 2007 08:09 PM

There's one exception in US/Canada - Motel 6. Their posted rate is for one person. Second person is usually $6 or $7 extra.

This is the case for a long time, even before it became part of France's Accor Group.

bodi May 25th, 2007 05:43 PM

I made an online reservation through Hotel.com for only one person, my husband. The reply E-mail reads one room for two people for x days and the $15 Extra Person Fee and today I find a seperate $1 charge from Hotel.com? His trip isn't for another month. First time to try Hotel.com and am surprised and curious?

nyer May 25th, 2007 06:00 PM

I don't know about the $1 fee ( never used that website) but it sound like the $15 would only be if there is a 3rd person. That is very common.

bodi May 26th, 2007 12:56 PM

I agree, $15 for a third person is what I thought and I use to assume a reservation for a room equaled a max of two people, unless otherwise stated. I hope they don't try to sneek extra charges in intentionally. Hotel.com has not replied to my inquery yet. I will not use them again!
Thank you all for your thoughts.

janisj May 26th, 2007 02:28 PM

I still don't know what you are asking - you haven't made it clear why you are upset w/ hotels.com.

Is it the $1 fee you mentioned in your second post. Or what?? Did they actually charge you an extra $15 - or simply mention that an additional person would be $15.

Wednesday May 26th, 2007 05:10 PM

It may say "Double" referring to two double beds are opposed to a "king". Or it may be an error, as it should say "Single". Call them

bodi May 26th, 2007 09:44 PM

After a lengthy conversation with hotel.com they have cancelled the reservation and refunded all the charges. They said the seperate $1.00 charge to my credit card was the service fee which is already paid in "Taxes and Service Fees" on the original total, and when I replaced the reservation directly with the Inn's 800 reservations number, concidentally, the amount totaled the same as hotel.com's inflation added to their advertised lowest rate! So, hotel.com advertises the lowest rate, then adds on these extra charges to make up for what looks like a bargain. They offered me $20. coupons to use in a year reserving again through them. No thanks. I will never use them again. Bottom line, it is not a bargain, they advertise a lower rate and then make up the 'discount' with extra fees. Beware! From now on, I will only book directly with the hotel I want, I have learned my lesson. First bad experence, and my last with hotel.com. Thanks again to all of you for your input. Ps. still will be only one guest in the room!

bodi May 26th, 2007 09:57 PM

I was upset making a reservation for one, my hubby, the reciept printing out of two plus a $15. extra person fee, my credit card charge immediately for the stay next month, plus an unexplained additional $1.00 charge to my credit card. Reserving direct with the Inn, the room is guarrenteed even for late arrival and not charged until checkin and is the same total as the hotel.c lower rate plus their extra 'fees'. Sorry if I am still not expressing this clearly.