Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Resaturants manhattan (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/resaturants-manhattan-415209/)

xxxxxxx Mar 25th, 2004 07:54 AM

Resaturants manhattan

Woulld like reviews on 2 restaurants:
The Lever House &
66 in new york city
Trying to decide which one to go to for a birthday celebration. We.re in our 40's, love great food, and we're still crazy after all these years! Thanks.

MFNYC Mar 25th, 2004 08:07 AM

I just looked them up on Zagats and both seem very high end. The Lever House is too new so doesn't have a rating. 66 has a very good rating. Lever is midtown east and new american, 66 is tribeca and Chinese so they are 2 very different choices. You can check the board on CHowhound.com to see if there are comments. Have fun!

vvv03 Mar 25th, 2004 08:37 AM

I haven't been to either, but definitely post this on the message board Chowhound.com -- click on the Manhattan link -- you'll definitely get responses. Good luck!

cindymal Mar 30th, 2004 06:29 AM

Hi
The lever house is a great trendy resturant with great food,atmosphere.It caters to all agec.I have not been to 66 but if you are looking for a great resturant I can vouch for the lever house.

bugswife1 Mar 30th, 2004 07:37 AM

Go to Jean George's new Spice Market in the meat packing district, if you can get a reservation. Hot, hot, hot. You will have a great time. No kids there, and the lounge downstairs is fun for after dinner. The food is great and atmosphere just as good.

Kathi Mar 30th, 2004 08:42 AM

Personally, I think Lever House is better (albeit more expensive as well). I live around the corner from 66. The atmosphere is trendy and the food is good, though I wouldn't consider it great. The food at 66 is served as it comes out -- i.e. assuming that everyone wants to share. So that can be a bonus for groups. But if you want a more typical 'everyone gets their own appetizer/entree', then pick Lever House.
In either case, I'm sure you'll have a good time -- also, if it's a group of you, be sure to book in advance.

michelleNYC Mar 30th, 2004 09:54 AM

I STRONGLY agree with bugswife. Ate at Spice Market a couple of weeks ago and it was great!! I loved the atmosphere as well.

bugswife1 Mar 30th, 2004 01:34 PM

michele--i am a total foodie, restaurant junkie and I haven't been this excited about a restaurant in years. I just made another dinner and lunch reservation. The atmosphere is terrific! I can't wait to take my friends there. Saw Carol Burnett, Beverly Sills, and Nicole Kidman on the last visit. Sometimes I want fine dining, sometimes I want a 'scene'. This place is perfect.

Patrick Mar 30th, 2004 01:56 PM

You have me very excited about spice market. How far ahead must I make the reservation? And is Sunday night (one of my rare non-theatre nights) a good night to go?
Incidentally, I googled for a website and got the moviesque Jean Georges website which shows all his other places, but Spice Market isn't part of it yet.