Report on our stay at Post Ranch Inn

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2022, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to splurge and surprise my partner on her birthday and take her to the Post Ranch Inn. It was really quite extraordinary and created a wonderful memory for both of us.

When we arrived, they upgraded us to an ocean view room, which was amazing. A guest services guy drove us our room with our stuff in a Lexus SUV. (All the guest services guys are very helpful-many seemed to have worked there for a number of years.). The room had huge windows and a wood-burning fireplace. There was a sliding glass door from the room to a very large patio. there also was a sliding glass door from the bathroom to the patio. I visited the infinity pool, which was great and very close to our bungalow.

We had dinner reservation at the Sierra Mar for 6:30. It had been warm that day, but was beginning to cool down, so we ate on the outdoor patio. I must say that this was our only less than stellar experience. Neither of us thought that the dinner was very good. the dinner is a very expensive prix fix menu, with a few choices for each course.

The next morning, I went down to the main swimming pool for 8:30 yoga. It's a beautiful setting. About 20 of us started our day with yoga. We then ordered room service breakfast on the patio, so we missed the meditation. After that, we had reserved a Lexus convertible for a drive in Highway 1. That was great fun. My first drive in a convertible on Highway 1. Yea!

It was sunny and very hot-maybe 85? So it was tiring being out in the sun.

We planned an early dinner at Napenthe. We learned that the kitchen closes from 4-5, and they change menus from lunch to dinner. So we relaxed on the patio until 5. Napenthe always has a wonderful mix of people.

It was great sleeping in our room-I got up a few times to look at the sky. And the ocean was very noisy.

It was cooler in the morning, so it felt good to start the fire and go to the heated infinity pool and stare at the ocean. After sitting by the fire for a while, we had another room service breakfast on the patio.

It was about time to check out. But we has been informed the day before that on that day there was to be a 30th anniversary celebration of the opening of the resort. so, after we checked out, we went down to the celebration (in the chef's garden), which was very memorable. We talked to a woman who was the historian of the place, and we learned some things about the old Post Ranch, as well as about the process of getting the inn approved and built. The inn is located on a part of the old "Post Ranch." The Posts were one of the old rancher families who lived in Big Sur during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. we learned a bit about life as a rancher in big sur before the bridges on Rte. 1 were built in the 1930s. We also heard an owner talk about his feelings for the place (he was one of the original investors). We met the falconer and his majestic bird. And we also met some of the staff, who seem to care a lot about the place and the guests.

Anyway, this was a wonderful capstone to a memorable visit.
Old Apr 13th, 2022, 05:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Ooh -- I'm jealous Sounds amazing. Never stayed at Post Ranch or Ventana -- hope to fit in one or the other next Fall. Are you going to post some photos?
Old Apr 13th, 2022, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great report but major bummer about the food. It's probably one of the main things that would draw me there.