Report back on Oregon through to Utah

Aug 21st, 2009, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Report back on Oregon through to Utah

Thanks for everyone giving tips on the best routes to take through Oregon to get to Salt Lake City. After being determined to take all your advice, none of it hapened!!

We drove up from California on route 5, as it was the fastest way to get up to Oregon. We headed out to the coast from 5 at Sutherlin, Oregon. But first, I can't say enough good things about the manager of the Dairy Queen at the exit from Route 5 that takes you out to the coast via 138. It was a hot day and we stopped for an ice cream cone. 82 miles later, once we arrived in Florence to look around, I realized I'd left my purse at the Dairy Queen. Amy, the manager, overnighted my purse, which luckily had been turned in, at no charge to me, although I'd offered to cover it. So please, give her your business if your ever in the area. What a sweetheart and what a good end to what could have been a nightmare! I'm certainly going to show up with something nice for her.

Back to the trip, we had read many things about staying in Yachats and Newport, but we ended up renting a house on the coast in Waldport, right in between. I'm not sure why it doesn't get much press. Being right between the two, we were able to go to Yachats for the Devil's Churn at Cape Perpetua and to the aquarium in Newport and Lincoln City for day trips. Waldport does have the distinction of having a wonderful beach for walking - all 7 miles of it. We had wonderful long beach walks and at low tide you could walk way out into the ocean and all the way to town. You can practically walk almost all the way to Yachats. There is a dock in town where you can catch crab and fish, and a place where they'll cook the crab for you. We didn't get any males big enough to keep though. We rented a very affordable house with a wonderful view of the ocean, Seabrook house, and had a lovely time watching the waves while having a glass of wine.

We had a great dinner in Newport at the Table of Content in the Sylvia Beach Hotel and everyone enjoyed their meal. We also had a good lunch in Newport at Local Ocean (at least I think that was the name). We then left for A party in Corvallis. Fodors posters had recommended royutes for us to get to Salt Lake City through the middle of the state. Given the incredible heat wave going on that week, as well as a time crunch, we were convinced to go up north to Portland and along the scenic Columbia river route. We enjoyed the shade especially, and did a short hike up to the top of Latourell (sp?) Falls, seeing the Vista House and walking along the gorge. We also stopped at the Discovery Center in the Dalles and even though I've never been all that interested in the Oregon Trail history, I found it to be really interesting. We ended up in La Grande that night at the Best Western; nothing to write home about, and did the scenic drive through the Wallowa Lake area and to the Hell's Canyon overlook the next day. We also stopped at the Oregon Trail interpretive Center and agreed that they'd done a really good job at giving you a good idea of the hardships the emigrants suffered.

We made it to Boise that night with the aim of getting to Salt Lake City the next day to pick up our friends at the airport. We took a bit of a detour when we saw the sign for the Hagerman Fossil Beds, since we hadn't been able to go to the John Day Fossil beds. I was disappointed to learn that you couldn't actually get to see the fossil beds unless you were a paleontologist, and darn, wouldn't you know it, I left my paleontologist license at home. I hate when that happens.

Anyways, we picked up our friends and headed out to Lake Powell where we keep a boat. I won't go into detail on that, but would be happy to answer anyone's questions on boating there or more regarding the Oregon Coast stay. Thanks again for all the suggestions and maybe I'll get to take your advice next time!!
Aug 23rd, 2009, 08:46 AM

We're going to be going to the Oregon coast sometime next year. What vacation rental agency did you use for Seabrook House? What size house was it and do you have photos?
Aug 25th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

lovingretirement-
The rental agency I used was Ocean Odyssey and the house was two bed/two bath with a den and sofabed. Here's the website if you are interested. I don't have photos but it does. Hope that helps.
www.ocean-odyssey.com/49_-_Sea_Brook_House.htm
Aug 28th, 2009, 05:45 AM

"...did the scenic drive through the Wallowa Lake area and to the Hell's Canyon overlook the next day."

We are thinking about doing this drive and stay a night in Enterprise. Is it scenic? Where is the Hell's Canyon Overlook? Are there other sites of vistas of interest in the area?

HTTY
Aug 28th, 2009, 07:45 AM

Nice report! We are loving our time on the Oregon Coast here in Seaside, Hood to Coast Relay is this weekend! We may travel down to Newport next week to see the aquarium, Table of Contents sounds like an interesting place to dine, what did you have there? ***kim***
Aug 31st, 2009, 09:41 PM

Instead of staying in Enterprise, stay at Wallowa Lake Lodge or in Joseph. I was not too impressed with Enterprise. There is quite a bit to do in the area. Joseph is a cute artsy town that has bronze foundries that you can tour. There is also the Wallowa Lake Tramway that takes you up above the lake. The views and hikes up above are beautiful. If you stay at Wallowa Lake, you have to have dinner at Vali's Alpine Restaurant. It is a famous restaurant in the area. It is also known for it's fresh donuts in the morning. This area is where many of the scenes from the movie "Homeward Bound" was filmed. Baker is a cute town. The Oregon Trail Interpretive Center is nearby. Hell's Canyon Overlook is on FS39 out of Joseph. You can even take the Hell's Canyon Byway as a loop. It starts in La Grande and ends in Baker.
Sep 2nd, 2009, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

kimamom- I think the Table of Content changes it's menu daily. We were given a seafood, vegetarian or rack of lamb choice the night we were there. Enjoy the coast! If the weather is stormy (not likely right now), Devil's Churn is great to look at (Cape Perpetua).

happy trails- BarbAnn seems to know more about accommodations and things to do in the Wallowa Lake area. We did the scenic byway as a loop starting in La Grande and ending in Baker. If we'd had more time I might have stayed overnight along the way, but the loop can be done in a day. It's quite scenic - a narrow road through evergreen forest. We were lucky and had very little traffic. The Hell's Canyon Loop is about 1/2 way around. We would have liked to take the foundry tour in Joseph as I heard it was interesting, but we showed up too late. The Oregon Trail Interpretive Center was really good and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
Sep 6th, 2009, 01:13 PM

Thanks, susncrg.

We spent the night at the Best Western in Enterprise.

Loved the little town of Joseph, but there aren't many motel options there.

The drive up OR-3 to Lewiston, ID, is quite a treat--especially where it passes through a canyon at the OR/WA border.