Renting a car in Vegas?

Aug 10th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Renting a car in Vegas?

My wife and I are going to Las Vegas this December. We are staying in the Luxor, and we are wondering if we should rent a car, or rely on public transportation? And how easy is it to park in Vegas? We also want to take a day and go to the Grand Canyon. Would we do better in a rental or on a bus tour? I would also like to thank all of those who answered my previous post about where to stay.
Aug 10th, 2003, 02:07 PM

I would not rent a car until the day you want to go to the GC (you will need 2 days-It's farther than you think)

Within LV-don't need a car-jitneys,shuttles,and taxis are everywhere. Check with the Luxor concierge when you get there and decide.
Aug 10th, 2003, 06:10 PM

December can be tricky. I don't know the days, but if you're there during the Rodeo Finals, car rentals might not be easy to find. We were there last year, right after the finals, and found getting around and parking easy with our rental.
Aug 10th, 2003, 06:10 PM

I would definitely recommend renting a car for a trip to the Grand Canyon. On a bus tour I'm sure you would spend most of your time on the bus. The trip is probably at least 4 hours each way. We arrived in Vegas early in the day and immediately rented a car and set out for Arizona, stopping first at Hoover Dam. We spent 2 nights in Williams, Arizona and entered the Grand Canyon from two directions - the south and the east. We also visited Walnut Canyon near Flagstaff. It was a great side trip. We were there in May. Not sure what the weather conditions would be in December. Parking in Vegas is no problem. The hotels I have stayed at have large garages and free parking, but there is no need to have a car. We walked or rode the bus.
Aug 10th, 2003, 06:16 PM

I agree with Maryann, no need for a car while in Las Vegas. You will enjoy walking the Strip. If you don't want to walk, the 301 or 302 city bus. There are also trolleys and other private shuttles as well. Whatever you do, don't take a cab. They are outrageously expensive.
Aug 14th, 2003, 08:30 AM

My teenage daughter and I have visited Las Vegas 3 times in the last 4 years. I rented a car each time and would DEFINITELY recommend it if you like to explore the city other than just the strip. It is extremely easy to park, everywhere there are large garages and parking is free. Travel north and south on Industrial Road just west of the strip is very fast and easy as opposed to traffic on strip. If you are only interested in exploring the strip it isn't necessary, but we like to see all the sights. I took a cab only 1 time in Vegas when we had a friend with us that used the car, and I found it to be extremely expensive. Plus you need to be up an hotel entrance in order to secure a cab, not out on strip. We are going to Vegas again in January for my daughter's 21st birthday and I have already reserved a car again.
Aug 14th, 2003, 08:35 AM

No need to rent a car. Traffic on the Strip is a nightmare day and night. You can take the 301 or 302 bus ($2.00) each way to go to other parts of the Strip or downtown to see the Fremont Street Experience light and souind show, which I highly recommend.

I would suggest doing a bus tour to the Grand Canyon instead of driving. The guided tours do a good job of explaining waht you are seeing.
Aug 14th, 2003, 05:03 PM

Altoona, there's no need to drive on the Strip when renting a car. Most people who are familiar with LV skip the Strip entirely (except exiting and entering the hotels).
Buses take forever.
Cars are the quickest and easiest way to make multiple stops such as visiting downtown and opposite ends of the strip.
Cabs are fine, too, but they cost more than a rental car.
Aug 15th, 2003, 09:18 AM

If you do decide to rent a car for one or two days after you have arrived in LV, you can pick one up and/or drop it off right at your hotel. Dollar has a desk at Luxor as well as Treasure Island and other hotels. Just reserve a car with them and it will be waiting for you in Luxor's parking lot. When we went to LV at the end of July, traffic was terrible. If you do plan on renting a car for the whole trip, make sure you study a map before you go to learn how to get around the traffic on the strip as others have suggested. At least if you do chose to walk around instead of drive, it shouldn't be as hot in Dec. as it was in July!
Aug 15th, 2003, 10:13 AM

I agree, do not rent a car when in Las Vegas. We have always taken the buses along the strip and never had a problem. They are quick and convenient.
Aug 15th, 2003, 10:32 PM

i think the rodeo finals are the week of the fourteenth.

I definitely wouldn't recommend a car. There are free shuttles between hotels. Then you have the trolleys and buses for cheap.