Renting a car during our stay in Charleston, SC in Jan 2012

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2011, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and our son are running a half marathon next month at Charleston. We will be there few days before the event and staying there few more days after the event ( total 6 days). We are considering renting a car at least for 24 hours so, I can cheer them along their route and pick them up at the finish line ( North Charleston ), but, I wonder if we should rent a car longer than one day, ie. over the entire weekend. We are staying at the French Quarter Inn and was told it costs $17 a night to park there. Is there a shuttle service to visit a plantation? Is so, how much? I am trying figure out which way is cheaper to go. I am assuming most of activities would be in downtown and don't require a car to get there. Your suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 06:20 AM

If you're going to be there a total of 6 days, I think it would be worth it to have a car for a weekend of that time, if the parking expense isn't a deal breaker. There is lots and lots to see and do in the downtown area, but it's nice to be able to drive out and see the Ashley River plantations on your own time frame, or drive down to John's Island to see the Angel Oak and eat at the Fat Hen, or to drive over to Mt. Pleasant or out to Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island. When you drive out over the bridges and causeways, you really get a feel for the landscape of the Low Country. I am sure you can find plenty to do without a car, but if I were there that long, I would want a car for a few days.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 07:20 AM

I'd certainly rent a car for that period of time, and maybe SueWoo can suggest other parking possibilities. The historic area is, of course, very enjoyably walkable, but there are other things to do. I might guess that renting for a day will be stunningly expensive, and for that event being in the city, car rental prices may already be high.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 08:59 AM

$17 is cheap. BetsyinKy gave you great recommendations.

You are staying in a wonderful hotel, and I know you'll enjoy it! I don't know about that run event, but I'm currently abroad. (I know, it sounds continental, but I can't wait to get home). Where does the run start? Where does it end? There are some great restaurants in North Chuck, so tell me where you'll be.

I say rent a car for 3 days. You can then go to any of the beaches (and you should), and drive to the plantations. There are shuttles to the Ashley River plantations, but if I were doing it, I'd rather drive than wait around for them to drop and pick up. Enterprise will deliver a car to you. It won't be cheap. It's Charleston.

I can't wait to come home, y'all!

I am assuming it's your first visit. Take a carriage ride ride on your first day to get oriented and learn some history. Then you can decide where you want to walk back.

BetsyinK
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 11:15 AM

Rent the car to visit the plantations. Some of them are in opposite directions and quite a distance from the city proper. You might want to look at my trip report; click on my name to find it.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for responses!! Yes. this is our first time visit. We can't wait to visit Charleston! I just reserved a rental car for that weekend per your suggestions. I will write it down where to go and see. I will plan on taking a carriage ride when we get there on Wednesday and do activities downtown until I pick up a car on Friday. The marathon starts at the corner of East Bay and Laurens St downtown Charleston and the finish line is at Cosgrove and Spruill(?) in North Charleston.
I do have additional question. Do you have any recommendations on Italian restaurants? My hubby and my son should 'Carb' up the night before the race.
Thanks again for your suggestions. Very helpful!!
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 12:35 PM

You should get the route because I'm sure it will wind around the historic district before going to N.Charleston.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 12:37 PM

I will add, from my experience of what marathons do to our traffic, you need to get the route and park your car outside that route somewhere. It might be the Visitor's Center, from which you can get a trolley to the historic district to watch, and then come back, get the car and pick up your runners.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 02:07 PM

Grethen,

It's not a marathon. It's a 10k.

OP, sorry your screen name is way too long, try Joe Pasta on Upper King.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Actually, they do have both full 26.2 mile Marathon and 13.1 half marathon on the same day. My hubby and my son are only doing a half marathon. Yes. I will definitely map the route first. Gretchen, you mentioned 'trolley', are they running often? I wonder if I can check its schedule on line? Normally, half marathon goes pretty quickly, so I probably won't be able to see them more than once or twice before I have to head back to the finish line.
Thanks again, Grethen and suewood. I will check, 'Joe Pasta'.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 06:37 PM

It can be what it is. The "trolley" is from the visitor's center to the historic district. Runs all the time I think. I just know that the marathons in our city tie up traffic==and I KNOW where to go, and get around it. Sue, direct her to the site for the marathon.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 11:51 PM

The only one I know about is this one:
http://bridgerun.com/
but it's not til March. That's the one where I hunker in for the weekend.
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Yes. Apparently, This marathon is fairly new. The website(http://charlestonmarathon.com/) says this is the second annual marathon. I am well aware of traffic problems as I have been to many marathon events in big cities, such as Boston, Chicago, etc.. Thanks for your help though. I am sort of worrying about finding places to park a vehicle, since if I spend too much time finding place to park, I will miss them running by. suewoo, do you have any suggestions where to go if I want to see them off at start line and near 3 mile marker and again by 6 or 7 mile marker? I am planning on parking the finish line and walk to 10 mile marker. Here's the webpage for the route - http://charlestonmarathon.com/sites/...hon-Course.pdf
Your help is very much appreciated if you have time to look at it. Thanks again
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 02:44 PM

If it's any help to you, the (Best Western) King Charles Inn offers free parking to their guests. It's located right in the Old District, within easy walking distance to many restaurants & shopping opportunities, as well as the carriage rides. The staff are very nice - we stay there whenever we're visiting Charleston. There are many small bus tours you can book from the Visitor Center that will actually pick you up right at the Inn; the conceirge will help you with the reservations if you wish. (We really enjoyed the historical factor of Drayton Hall, by the way). Have fun!