Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Renting a car at Disneyworld (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/renting-a-car-at-disneyworld-423775/)

dellvader Apr 18th, 2004 09:05 PM

Renting a car at Disneyworld

My family is planning a trip sept/oct for disneyworld. My question is should we rent a car eventhough were staying on property? Heard some reports that the bus wait is sometimes very long. There are 4 adults and 4 children in our party. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

wolfshin Apr 19th, 2004 03:24 AM

Unless you are staying at a property that is connected to the monorail, I would suggest renting a minivan. Everybody can travel together, especially if you are planning on taking in some of the other sites in the area. In addition, the different parks in DW also tend to be spread out, so waiting for buses can impact your pleasure time and the mood of your group.

kopp Apr 19th, 2004 05:06 AM

Hello dellvader -
Have you checked prices for rental cars versus the Mears shuttle bus prices round-trip? I generally find that car rentals are the most cost-effective, even if you just use it for transportation to/from the airport. Plus the convenience of heading to the outlet mall, miniature golf, or some off-site place for dinner or other entertainment is easier than dealing with a cab or bus.

If you're going to Disneyworld in October, you may want to check out the food and wine festival. It's one of our favorite times of year to visit Epcot -- lots of yummy dishes to taste!

Happy travels!

ChristieP Apr 19th, 2004 06:17 AM

Since you'll have a large group, I'd really recommend using the Disney transporation system whenever possible. The buses drop you off right in front of the parks, so less walking for the smaller kids. Also, if some of the kids get tired, a few of the adults can take them back to the room on the bus and everyone else can stay in the park.

amcc Apr 19th, 2004 11:12 AM

Rent a car. Parking is free at the parks if you are staying on Disney property. We always drive and one of the things that we love doing is driving to the Boardwalk, parking there, and taking the ferry to Epcot. There are also ferries from Wilderness Lodge to Magic Kingdom (I could be wrong), plus you can park at any of the monorail hotels and take their transport. It's a different way of approaching the parks that adds to the excitement. And, if you drive directly to the park, the trams get you to the entrance in no time. I've used the buses, and at peak times they can be very crowded or take a long time at peak times, but the drivers are generally very nice, and it is a pleasant ride.

dcmom Apr 19th, 2004 11:42 AM

We went to Disneyworld in earlier October 2000 and stayed at the Carribean Beach Resort. The bus lines were not long at all. In fact we never had to wait in any lines. They were so efficient...I was impressed. Unless you plan on doing stuff outside DW, I would not recommend wasting your money on a car.

adogaer Apr 19th, 2004 12:22 PM

If you plan on having a car and parking at other resorts like a previous poster said, you have to lie and say you're going to one of the restaurants. They have signs in front of several of the hotels that they no longer provide parking for the parks.

amcc Apr 19th, 2004 01:09 PM

adogaer is right :( You can no longer park at Boardwalk, and I've just confirmed it at www.disboards.com. This really used to be one of the main perks of driving while staying on site but it seems that offsite guests had caught on and were using it to avoid the parking fees all together, and there wasn't parking for the hotel guests.

kweno Apr 19th, 2004 01:23 PM

My family - 5 adults 3 kids, goes to Disney every year. We always stay on the property and never rent a car. The buses are quite crowded at park closing time, and you do have to wait for the buses from time to time, but it is never enough to ruin the trip. Last time we stayed at Yacht Club - right across from the Boardwalk and we could walk to Epcot and boat to MGM - it was the best. I've also stayed at Carribbean Beach and Dixie Landings (or whatever its called now) and your are bus dependant there. Must admit that this year was the best.
Next year there is talk of renting a car, but only becasue we want to go to Universal (although there maybe a shuttle for that too...).

gail Apr 20th, 2004 02:45 AM

With 8 people, neither a car nor mini-van will do it (mini-vans generally seat 7).

quilter Apr 20th, 2004 08:36 AM

We were at WDW in February. We were very happy that we rented a car. We took WDW transportation sometimes, but also appreciated the car. It took us only five minutes to get to Epcot and MGM via car versus much longer on the bus. For our family, the flexibility of the car was worth the money. Enjoy your trip!