Renting 4x4's on BI and Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2005, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can we rent a 4x4 that we can actually take off road? I have heard that many places won't let you, and we really want to be able to explore.
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:07 AM

I can't think of any place on Maui where you should be going off road. The lands are either national, state or county park lands, natural area reserves or private ranch lands. Many of the undeveloped areas are considered sacred or have great arhceological or historical value. In any instance, you don't want to be going off-raod, tearing up the land and destroying eco-systems. If you really want to explore, consider a hike, and even then tread lightly and stay on the trails.
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:17 AM

We rented through Alamo and had a Chevy Trailblazer. We didn't plan to do too much off the beaten path exploring but were happy we had a 4-wheel drive for our trip up Polipoli State Park (near Haleakala). The road was a mix of pavement, gravel, dirt and MUD puddles. Not knowing how deep the mud was, we went into 4-wheel drive.

I think going to Polipoli State Park will satisfy your need to explore. It was really exciting - the road is windy, bumpy, narrow in places, switchbacks - and the views are excellent.

Old May 27th, 2005, 08:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with Htg2M on this one (I hope you were sitting down!) While ATPittsley found a 4x4 useful because of the road conditions, many people going off road to "explore" do trash the environment either ecause they don't know what damage they're doing or they don't care. Of course, that's all in the name of "fun". Maui is not a huge place, but it's a real place where people live and work not an amusement park, or an extra big vacation resort. In many areas the environment is fragile, just like the deserts in So Cal, and once it's destroyed it's gone forever.

Wanderer8879, you may have no intention of damaging fauna and flora, but you will. That's why off-roading is not allowed in so many places.
Old May 27th, 2005, 10:22 AM

I concur.
Maybe the Brits will let you get away with this & you can get away with more exploration, but Maui is either owned and fenced or too beautiful to foul up.
We rented a Grand Cherokee 4x4 and didn't need it on the Hana road.
Old May 27th, 2005, 03:29 PM

maui, no 4x4 needed. didn't use on bi either, had it on kauai. used it a little there. I found i got to most places, even out of the way ones with no need for the four wheel drive.
Old May 27th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

I think you have mis-read my intentions...I am very aware of the damage that off-road vehicles can cause. I would never dream of trailblazing or or travelling off of designated areas.

The reason I asked is because I was told that there are some areas of the BI that can only be accessed with 4-wheel drive (like the green sand beaches and parts of saddle road). I was told that these were public access roads. I'm not trying to use the 4x4 to play, but to get somewhere off the beaten path.
Old May 28th, 2005, 01:26 AM

You wrote : "...really want to be able explore". Anyone could have mis-read that.