Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Rental RV trip to Yellowstone - from Northern California

Old Jul 26th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had been watching this site for a long time without registration. We got a lot of valuable information, and now it is my turn for contributions.

We are a family of 5 (including grandpa, grandma, a 3 yr old), living in San Francisco Bay area. Before our travel, we try to weigh the cost and fun between cruise and RV trip. For a 12 days travel, the best deal I can find for cruise is 1100$/person plus some hidden cost such as Shore Excursions, Tipping etc. In this aspect, RV trip is much more affordable. On the other hand, Cruise is much more relaxing, but it can be boring to stay on cruise for that many days and sleep in an interior windowless room.

Summary of our cost:
1. Rental fee for a standard size Class C RV:
We use Cruise America RV rental, which is109$/day with insurance included for 13 days = $1417. Our travel is actually 12 days, but we have to rent an extra night as they have the rule that RV must be returned before 11am.
2. RV mileage cost:
0.32 /mile. We drive 2399 miles in total As we got the deal with 100miles/day is included in the RV rental fee. the total cost for mileage is (2399-1300)*0.32 = $351.68
3. Gas
Total Gas bill is 993$ with average gas price is $3.7-$3.9/gallon. We use 263 Gallon Gas in total, So the RV Gas consumption is about 9mpg which is common for standard size Class C RV.
4. RV park/campground
We stay 12 nights on the RV, The RV park/campground fee total at 384$. The parks ranged from dry camp at $20-$25/night to $60/night full hookup one at Grand Teton national park. We use an Android App named RV Camps Locator. In comparison to Reserve America, this app contains much more RV parks,actually, the most complete one I have seen so far. It map out all of them and is really helpful to locate RV park on our way. We can decide how much we want to drive each day with great flexibility.
5. Dining
We only eat out twice - 140$ in total. We cook on our RV or campfire all the other time. The saving is extraordinary for 5 people. The refrigerator is kind of small, so we bring a large cooler with us. It is very helpful to have a meal plan for everyday.

The total cost is less than $3500 and the trip is well worthy. It is our first time to drive RV, surprisingly, it is not hard to drive at all, just as easy as driving a Van. The only part tricky is when you back your RV, you would need another person to watch it for you.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 03:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
When was this trip? Did you all enjoy yourselves?
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

The trip is From 6.22-7.4, An outstanding one. As we have elder people and a child, we try to make us relax by not setting a tight schedule.
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 02:40 AM

Thank you for posting. I really appreciate your breakdown of the costs, as this is something I would like to do one day.
Old Jul 29th, 2012, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the info. My family is also thinking of doing something like this. I'm also in the SF Bay Area. May I ask what your itinerary turned out to be? Was it a one way rental?
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 08:40 PM

Hi, we are planning to travel with young kids on a 10 day trip leaving from bay area. Would you mind share your itinerary and the Rv parks that you have used along the way?
appreicate your help.
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 10:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors vjmanda. Maybe you didn't notice but this thread is nine years old and the OP (travelmaniafun) only ever posted twice and has never been back. If you want help / advice it would be much better to start a new thread of your own with your specific questions. (There is a chance your post here will be deleted because it tops such an old thread so do start a new thread)