Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Rental in Nags Head...which Mile Marker is best? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/rental-in-nags-head-which-mile-marker-is-best-495882/)

gores95 Jan 16th, 2005 03:23 PM

Rental in Nags Head...which Mile Marker is best?

Message: Hello. We are going to rent a five bedroom house In Nags Head this summer and have narrowed it down to two houses. The first is located between Mile Markers 15 & 16 and the other is between Mile Markers 10 & 11 by Gallery Row. Both are just off the ocean. We will have six adults and four kids under 10.

Is one location better than the other? I am unfamiliar with the layout of Nags Head but would like a fairly upscale area and close to activities for the kids, restaurants, shopping , etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Marc

emd Jan 16th, 2005 04:15 PM

At milepost 11, on the beach road, there is Galaxy Golf, a Star Wars themed minigolf course that my kids loved at that age. Also, Dowdy's amusement park is at milepost 11 on Hwy 158. We used to rent houses right at milepost 11 and wlak btwn the two at night. Also, consider that at milepost 11 (Bonnett St access) is the main lifeguard station for Nags Head. So you get alot of lifeguard attn. at the lifeguard stand, always several lifeguards around the office there.
You may want to consider the lifeguard situation w/kids that age. We always wanted to have a lifeguard in sight of our kids. You can call and find out the lifeguard stand locationa for the summer. I do that every year, as they often close stands or open new ones. I have the number to call if you are interested in that, let me know and I'll post it for you.
Milepost 15 to 16 is alot different. It is more upscale in my opinion than milepost 10 to 11. Milepost 15 to 16 is close to the Village at Nags Head. across Hwy 158 from the small Outer Banks Mall. You could easily drive to the minigolf, Jockey's Ridge, or other kids activities from there. Also, it is closer to Roanoke Island and the good NC aquarium there.
I would probably choose milepost 15 to 16 if you want more upscale. When we chose MP 11 we were more interested in less expensive housing, and there are alot of older, smaller houses mixed in w/the bigger newer ones there. But find out how far the nearest lifeguard stand is from your beach access at MP 15 to 16.

emd Jan 17th, 2005 12:53 PM

ttt for gores95

Weespxx Jan 20th, 2005 03:39 PM

I would agree with emd entirely. My brother lives in Manteo - don't miss it. Great places to eat and cute town. They've opened up a bike trail on the beach road now which looks nice - I'm pretty sure it's all the way down to 15/16 but could be wrong. If you're considering fishing at all, check out www.doghousesportfishing.com He's a great captain and the boat is pretty amazing. Have a great time!

gores95 Jan 22nd, 2005 07:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. We actually chose the MP 10 location. The street is Oneto Lane and the homes on the street look great. Anyone familiar with this street? Agent told us it is close to Food Lion and Gallery Row.

emd Jan 23rd, 2005 02:19 AM

I don't know that particular street. But eat at Mulligan's on the beach road, you will be right across from it in that neighborhood. And walk or bike down to Nags Head pier for breakfast at the pier restaurant.
While you are there, get a good map of the northern outer banks beaches- that way when you go back you can look up your location on the map. I think the Barnes St. access is perhaps where you will access the beach from your house.
Gallery Row is not a huge deal, a few shops on one street, but we do like the lighthouse store there. And if the ladies in the house can get away they'll have fun at Sally Hess and the "fish store" gift shop on the beach road. Your main roads running counter to the beach road and hwy 158 in your neighborhood will be Memorial Drive and I think the other one is Wrightsville. Nice walking and biking in those neighborhoods. Food Lion is across hwy 158, so you have to drive there.
Your going to have a wonderful time and afterwards you'll understand the neighborhoods, importance of where your house is in relation to beach access point, etc. for your next trip.
Just one more word of advice- if one of those many kids gets sick, the Urgent Care center across from the OUter Banks Mall is really good. I've been there twice since they opened- once for a sty in my daughter's eye and once after a nasty cut in my foot. Both times we got prompt and excellent care.

emd Jan 23rd, 2005 06:16 AM

If it is near Gallery Row is likley at Abalone St.
Interestingly, Oneta is not on my map. I've never run across a road not on this map. IS it a new street?

emd Jan 23rd, 2005 06:16 AM

i meant to write your nearest beach access is likely Abalone St. access.

gores95 Feb 5th, 2005 09:39 AM

Gallery Row runs into Oneto Lane. It is parallel to Virginia Dare Trail and closer to the ocean. Short road, maybe 15 or so houses total. Beach access is across the steet. Check out Sunrealtync.com and search for house 484-A.

emd Feb 5th, 2005 11:49 AM

That's a great location! Oneta must be a new street that has just gone in to support a few new houses- I see the house is brand new. And you aren't paying oceanfront prices, but are right there and don't have to cross the beach road. And great ocean views. Excellent. And you got the YMCA deal too. You scored a home run on this one. Have a great a time!