Rental house for family for Hawaii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I having posted recently about planning a special trip for my family or four with two teen sons. Having researched resorts in Hawaii, I have come to the conclusion that a more economical plan may be to rent a house or condo in Hawaii. The island does not matter so much, my husband and and I have visited them all. But a really nice rental house in a wonderful location, near or on the beach, would be wonderful and may help us decide on where to go for our trip. Does anyone have a special place they have stayed? we would also be interested in resorts or hotels that are nice for under $300 a night.
Thanks,
Leslie
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 10:06 PM

we stayed at this house on North shore of O'ahu last summer http://www.vrbo.com/77614

It is about a 2 minute walk to the beach from the house. A short drive into Hale'iwa, and Foodland supermarket is a few minutes drive, also the produce and Kahuku shrimp stands are not far. there is a walking/bike path that is pretty much flat.

I remember on other thread you mentioned slight mobility dificulty...you actually have to go up 1 flight of stairs to get to main living level of the house, and bedrooms are then 1 more flight up.

I'll be happy to try to answer any questions about the house based on our stay.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 04:37 AM

Here are some suggestions-
We have stayed at the Lagoon House in Kapoho on the east side of the Big Island. The area has great snorkeling, warm tide pools and is only about 45 min from Volcano and 20 minutes from Hilo. The pictures on the websites are accurate. www.apoparadise.com
www.lagoonhouse.com
We have stayed at the Moon Beach Cottage on the north shore of Kauai--right on Hanalei Bay. The cottage would be too small for you probably but the owners have other rentals. http://www.beachkauai.com/
The cottage was clean, well-equipped and the location couldn't be beat and it is very close to the little town of Hanalei.

Though we have never stayed in these houses--these two websites will give you an idea of what is available in south Kona on the Big Island--on Kealakekua Bay.

http://www.vrbo.com/37479
http://www.haleuhu.com/

FYI--a good website for Big Island information including lodging and restuarants and beaches is

www.konaweb.com
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 06:05 AM

FamilyTravlin: We have a reservation in early April to rent a house in Haleiwa on the North Shore. Got it through VRBO. Total cost is just under $1,300, which included lodging taxes and cleaning fees. Here is the web site for the house: http://www.vrbo.com/24273

I'll let you know how it was when we return.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 06:48 AM

You can also try homeaway.com. They have a nice search feature putting in the dates you want so you don't have to click through all attractive options only to find out they are booked.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great leads on houses. This site is invaluable to me! How wonderful to have first hand experience from fellow travelers! I can do two flights of stairs as long as the surrounding terrain isn't too much of a hike getting into it. I am now going to get busy researching houses.
Thanks,
Leslie
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 12:56 PM

FamilyTravlin: The house we are renting in Haleiwa is all on one floor. I forgot to mention that it is a two bedroom.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 10:21 PM

The house I posted about is on pretty flat ground. There is a slight uphill to the beach access path, then the wide beach slopes down to the water a bit. The sand on the beach is loose so your feet sink into it a little with each step....many beaches in HI are like that. Also, the washer and dryer are on the ground floor.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Aloha,
Thanks for the info on the house this is looking like a good choice.
Thanks!
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 09:41 AM

Does the island matter? We just returned from Kauai having stayed in a beach front, 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo.

The sunrise was beautiful each morning off our lani. Not all condos on Kauai have air conditioning. This one did in the bedrooms.

It was the Kauai Beach Villas, just next to the Hilton. You can google earth it and see the ALOHA bushes just in front of our unit.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

KarenNP,
How was the rest of your stay? It looks beautiful. We don't really care which island they all offer so much. We do love Kauai!
Thanks,
FamilyTravlin
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 05:33 PM

Leslie, you are welcome.

Kaua'i would be great also