Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Rental Car Orlando (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/rental-car-orlando-1108725/)

nelsonian May 21st, 2016 01:19 PM

Rental Car Orlando

We are having a family adventure at Disney World early January 2017. There will be 8 if us, 6 adults, and two children age 9 and 7. We are staying at Orange Lake Resort, (DD's fiancee has a timeshare there) and will need a rental car to get us to and from Disney.

I have been looking on various sites, we will need an 8 seater van, just wondering if you have any recommendations as to rental car companies, and where you can get a great price. Is it better to wait until a month or so before and try and use Priceline. I have tentatively booked one, which can be cancelled, price $ 384 for a week. It is with Alamo. Does this price sound reasonable?

nytraveler May 21st, 2016 04:50 PM

How will 8 people get in one car - plus luggage?

Seems like 2 regular size cars would be a better idea so everyone doesn't have to be joined at the hip 24/7.

newtome May 21st, 2016 04:50 PM

Early January is high season so I'd book in advance and keep checking. if oyu get a priceline bid car your cc insurance will NOT cover the damages as it is prepaid, so you might have to buy extra insurance.
That said said I think 384 is a decent rate.

nelsonian May 21st, 2016 08:25 PM

nytraveller, we want to travel together okay. I asked for recommendations about hiring a van, not two cars!!

nelsonian May 21st, 2016 08:26 PM

Thanks Newtome.

janisj May 21st, 2016 09:59 PM

>>nytraveller, we want to travel together okay. I asked for recommendations about hiring a van, not two cars!!<<

I wouldn't jump so quick. There are advantages to two cars. One of which is two cars will cost less than a huge van. But also they would give you a lot more flexibility. Otherwise one is driving this big dog for every quick trip, errand, etc.

But if you want a van -- then $384 seems quite reasonable.

vincenzo32951 May 22nd, 2016 06:07 AM

>>One of which is two cars will cost less than a huge van.<<

I'm not so sure about that. You think you can get a car in FL in Jan. -- one that accommodates 4 people and luggage -- for less than $30/day? (7 days x $30 x 2 cars = $420)

I agree with others above that $384 for an 8-seater is a decent price, except: Check to be sure that's the bottom-line price. Some of these rental outfits tack on various charges that can up the price considerably.

nelsonian May 22nd, 2016 11:23 AM

It will not need to carry luggage for 8, 6 of us are arriving two days early but staying near Universal and won't have a car. DD and fiancee will pick us up on Friday afternoon, after they have already dropped their luggage off at Orange Lake.

Good to know that $ 384 is a decent price.

NewbE May 22nd, 2016 11:41 AM

Plus an 8-10 seater van isn't as difficult to drive as janisj suggests, at least not in and around Orlando.

janisj May 22nd, 2016 11:47 AM

>>isn't as difficult to drive as janisj suggests,<<

Where . . . I didn't say it would be difficult -- just potentially inconvenient. But w/ the new info re luggage and their plans it makes more sense.

NewbE May 22nd, 2016 11:53 AM

Fine, then I disagree that it would be inconvenient, if that makes you feel better. Sheesh.

nelsonian May 22nd, 2016 04:23 PM

We are used to driving vans, but in this case DD and her fiancee will be driving!

Orlando_Vic May 24th, 2016 10:05 AM

I don't know if $384 is a decent price, but you should reserve it if it can be cancelled and continue looking. If you find a better rate, take it and cancel the first. Continue this process sever times as long as you keep getting better results.

I will say one other thing about renting a car at MCO. The agents will push unneeded or unwanted options, sometimes aggressively. One of these options is a toll road transponder called a SunPass. If you plan to stay in Central Florida, you don't need one. All tolls can be paid in cash.

If you join the loyalty program of the company you intend to use, you can make all decisions about which options you do and do not want in the peace of your own home. In this way, you do not have to wait at the car rental counters to complete the paperwork. You simply go to the parking garage to claim your car. This can also be a significant time saver too.

NewbE May 24th, 2016 12:50 PM

Excellent advice from Orlando_Vic!

vincenzo32951 May 24th, 2016 01:12 PM

I advocate joining loyalty programs, as Vic mentioned and for at least the reason he mentions, and more.

More often that not, IMHO, loyalty members get upgrades free when a better car is available.

nelsonian May 24th, 2016 09:50 PM

Yes I have reserved it, I will keep checking prices closer to the time. Good idea about joining the loyalty program. Thanks for that tip.

dsquared May 28th, 2016 04:18 PM

Follow Vic's good advice above. And while $384 for a week is reasonable, keep looking! You never know what you'll find.

vcourtney Jun 12th, 2016 12:06 PM

May I ask what company you have your van rental through? Thank you!

nelsonian Jun 12th, 2016 04:51 PM

I booked it though Expedia, but the actual company is Enterprise.

schmerl Jun 12th, 2016 05:12 PM

If you are a member of Costco check their rates. We recently rented a car through them and the rate was lower than any other place we checked. They offer several car rental agencies.