Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   rental car at PHX (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/rental-car-at-phx-330292/)

Celine_fyly Jun 23rd, 2003 01:38 PM

rental car at PHX

Hi,

I booked a car at Dollar.
Reading some old posts (2002) I read that some Dollar employees can get annoying with the "optional" insurance... made me think and I looked at
Avis (where my hb company has discounts)
Hertyz (where I have a discount card and a 2 upgrades coupon from our cc)

Dollar offers a Full Size for 189 a week.
Hertz is $185 for compaq (would be full with the coupon I think)
Avis is $183 (chevrolet monte carlo)

Questions:
Which company has the best car and service at that location? (at PIT I am always using Dollar and they've been very good to us)

Which one is easier to access (both counter and car)

Thanks

Celine

sofun1 Jun 23rd, 2003 02:19 PM

always had great service with Hertz. Dealt with Dollar in a previous life (here) and it is not my preference.

MaryZ Jun 23rd, 2003 03:30 PM

I think the counter service of all three is pretty easy and convenient. I've had insurance 'complications' with Dollar at Sky Harbor. I also got lost trying to find their off-airport lot for the return. (Although, I should admit that I can get lost on my way to the kitchen.)

Leona Jun 24th, 2003 05:02 AM

We rented a full size through Alamo for next week, 149 for the week.

az2hot Jun 24th, 2003 09:12 AM

I live here in Phoenix. Do not waive the extra insurance! This is one of a few states that if you waive it & driving in AZ your insur wont pay if you wreck the car. My ex used to work at Thrifty so he knows.I have 2 people that that happened too. One here, one in Vegas. It's only 13.00/or less per day & worth it.

Celine_fyly Jun 24th, 2003 09:28 AM

which one of the optional insurrancea are you talking about ?

Celine

az2hot Jun 24th, 2003 09:39 AM

Oh, they always give you a speel about do you want the insur blah, blah, just say yes. At least out here in AZ, NV

Judy24 Jun 24th, 2003 10:33 AM

To az2hot: could you explain what you mean?

I didn't think insurance companies could decide what states they would cover you in, so long as you stayed in within the country.

Oh joy, something else to worry about!

Leona Jun 24th, 2003 11:44 AM

We've rented cars in many of the United States, including Phoenix and Las Vegas, from various rental agencies. When they offer us insurance, and we tell them that we are insured, they have NEVER told us that our insurance might not cover us.

az2hot Jun 24th, 2003 01:11 PM

That's because they dont waste their breath. I only know this because it was my boyfriend who rented cars & knows about this;nobody ever told me either. Guess I am a liar? Those people encounter alot of nasty people & could care less about you or your loss.

sofun1 Jun 24th, 2003 01:20 PM

Put it on American Express and all your insurance is covered. Some VISA's do this too. Call you credit card to find out. Do not trust postings for info!

az2hot Jun 24th, 2003 01:35 PM

OK-good luck to you. As I said this pertains to AZ, not every state. Read & learn, read & learn.(smartypants)

az2hot Jun 24th, 2003 01:42 PM

Back to you, smartypants..I have 2 stories for u & Celine-and we all have to use our cr cards to book a car which have coverage, by the by. I worked with this older woman, here in AZ.She left the Vegas airport, totalled the car. She waived the addtl insur, had to pay for the car that she wasnt even driving. Then, my boyfriend's friends rented a car from him, he warned them about the insur election, they waived it, they banged up the car, guess what? not covered. Paid out of pocket. So there..but again, hmmm..did I just make those stories up?

wagsdvm Jun 24th, 2003 05:41 PM

Celine, just in case you didn't know this, tax on rental cars from airport in PHX amount to an extra 40% of your bill. It's the worst I've seen in the country.

Celine_fyly Jun 24th, 2003 06:36 PM

wagsm... yep I saw that, the hertz web site ws nice enough to give me a tax included price.

As for insurrance, I read the fine prints on my credit card agreement thing piece of paper. Under Rental Car Insurance it says that you don't have to take the LDW and so on...and if the rental company clerk wants to buy it anyway to call them at the provided number.

The Hertz web site states the following (maybe what AZ2Hot is refering to):
"If renting in Arizona, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, South Carolina, or West Virginia:

Upon signing the Rental Agreement, Hertz provides primary liability protection. However, such protection is generally no more than the minimum limits required by individual state law. See Financial Responsibility Limits by State.
"

Celine

rwilliams Jun 24th, 2003 06:46 PM

My credit card covers liability in AZ and NV.
Maybe not all cards do.
I doubt all cards are the same.
I would never accept that ridiculous added liability insurance (except in parts of Europe where my card will not cover).

Leona Jun 25th, 2003 04:50 AM

Mine does too. And so do they all.

Celine_fyly Jun 25th, 2003 07:03 AM

and it's now triple-checked ! I called the credit card company... There is NO difference with Arizona.

Period

back to the original question : which one has the best services, location in airport and cars ?

Celine

highbay Jun 25th, 2003 08:26 AM

Sorry az2hot; but I won't be repeating the info your boyfriend is handing you. This is the biggest crock I have ever heard. The state of Arizona does NOT regulate what my insurance company pays and does not pay. My husband is an attorney that does personal injury litigation. We NEVER pay for the additional insurance. I would suggest that you check your insurance policy to see if there are any exclusions to rental cars. If you are still not certain, call your agent. At $13 a day for a week that is $91 out of pocket for a policy that is FULL of exclusions.

TedTurner Jun 25th, 2003 09:59 AM

Excelent point(s) highbay.
Even the insurance provided by the rental car agency has numerous limitations and exclusions.
They would prefer people not be made overly aware of this.