Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Rent or buy or bring your own snorkel equipment in Hawaii (Kauai)? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/rent-or-buy-or-bring-your-own-snorkel-equipment-in-hawaii-kauai-186838/)

Iza Apr 1st, 2002 12:02 PM

Rent or buy or bring your own snorkel equipment in Hawaii (Kauai)?

I tried tacking this question on to another thread but after searching this board and not finding any answers I decided that it deserves a separate thread.<BR>So what do you do about snorkeling equipment when you go to Hawaii? Do you bring your own, rent when you get there or buy where you get there? <BR>We'll be in Kauai in August for 2 weeks so if you have any recommendations for specific rental places or places where to buy, please post them here. Thanks.

xxx Apr 1st, 2002 12:07 PM

There are plenty of places to rent great snorkling gear...our fourth trip back and we still haven't bought any....just too big of a decision when all you really want to do is hit the reef. The choices are just really overcoming in Hawaii. Rent while you make the choice for the second week.

Kristin Apr 1st, 2002 12:10 PM

Depends on where you live the rest of the year. I live in S. Florida, so I'm lugging ours with us. If you live in Alaska, rent for sure! Have fun!

Cheryl Apr 1st, 2002 12:32 PM

I would recommend that you bring your own mask/snorkel w/mouthpiece. This way you can be sure to have a mask that fits you, and also don't have to use a mouthpiece that other people have been using. Then you can rent fins there (which can be a bit awkward to pack). If there are any dive shops near where you live, I would recommend getting your gear ahead of time; then you are all set. Also, prices will probably be better than buying on Kauai.

Julie Apr 1st, 2002 12:36 PM

We always bring our own gear. My husband also golfs and it is very easy to stow the snorkel gear in his golf travel bag. I'm not sure I would want to lug it along if we had to put it in our regular luggage! It is easy to rent.

john Apr 1st, 2002 12:42 PM

OK, I may appear as naive and a simpleton, but we purchased cheap equipment (less than $20) at a local Walmart in Hawaii. The equipment worked great and we used it continually during our trip. Much cheaper than renting equipment - and from what I could tell - just as good.<BR><BR>Now, having said that, I'm sure the "serious snorkelers" can give you dozens of reason not to go with the cheap equipment - but we had a heck of a lot of fun, for less than the price of a one-day rental.<BR><BR>jpm

Lenore Apr 1st, 2002 12:48 PM

Great suggestion about storing it in the golf bag, Julie! Thanks for the idea....that's exactly what we'll do.

Jackie Apr 1st, 2002 03:31 PM

We have our own equipment even though we live in New England and don't use it here. I need prescription lenses in my goggles but mostly, we do it for sanitary reasons. I really don't want something in my mouth that's been in many others'. The crew seems to throw all the used mouthpieces into a bucket with liquid in it but I have no idea if it really sanitizes things like your dentist's office is supposed to do.

sss Apr 1st, 2002 03:35 PM

Hi lza we found that bringing gear last year was a good idea. The kids wanted to snorkle every time they were in water of any kind save for swimming pools. I would advise against cheap equipment though. We did that last year not through Walmart but through the sports authority. It worked for a short period but invariably leaked. This year I am taking my niece to be fitted for a mask. The cheap fins also made the kids work harder with vents that were designed for appearance more than performance. I am not saying you need to buy a kid a $60 mask but they did borrow the $35 mask that I took, throughout the trip. I even lent my mask to crying child of another family her mask was leaking and she was giving up. I would go into a dive shop see what they suggest that is inexpensive. My fins last year were $20 but they worked better than the SA $20 fins.

pca Apr 1st, 2002 03:39 PM

I'm kind of the opposite of Jackie. I need a prescription mask and that's why I rent! A prescrption mask costs a lot to buy for somebody like me who hardly ever snorkels, and all three times I've rented equipment in Hawaii I've been able to rent a mask close enough to my prescription to be able to see okay, though not perfectly.

sss Apr 1st, 2002 03:46 PM

lza being fitted is important for the mask. Oh yes forgot to tell you the kids also got blisters from cheap fins. <BR><BR>lza we also bought a fanny pack that you could wear in the water. We fit camera, money, stuff we did not want to loose should someone decide to lift it from beach. If you are in condo chances are you won't have a safe so this is a good idea. Good idea to test the belt before you go so you can be sure there is not a problem. AND IF THERE IS A MAN IN YOUR GROUP THEY ARE THE DESIGNATED WEARER OF THE BELT.LOL. It is a rule with us. ...no man this year wonder why?<BR>

Barbara Apr 1st, 2002 04:06 PM

sss, all fins, regardless of cost, will cause blisters if they're worn a lot. You need to get little "socks" to wear. These are usually available at the same place you get the fins. <BR><BR>If you rent equipment, then get it from one of the snorkel shops, not the boat you're on. In the shops, they will fit the mask and some of them have prescription masks to rent. (I'm not sure just how that works, but maybe it's better than none at all!)

Iza Apr 1st, 2002 04:35 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess we'll check dive shops here in CT and see how the prices compare to rentals in Kaui.<BR><BR>Sarah, loved your idea of the man in the group wearing the water-proof pouch. I am sure my husband will be thrilled if I suggest it to him ;-)<BR>Have you bought your air tickets yet? We are still holding off, waiting for a sale. But I am telling you, each day I get more impatient. I am afraid that when we are ready to buy we'll find that the flights are full. It seems the tourism in Hawaii is back in full swing, hotels and flights are full months in advance. Yikes!

dcp Apr 1st, 2002 04:39 PM

It's your call but I'd suggest renting. There are a number of dive shops that rent by the week. I think we paid $20 for mask, fin, & snorkel. If it matters, I own my own gear and now find it easier to rent than travel with.

pca Apr 1st, 2002 04:42 PM

Having rented prescription masks, I can tell you how it worked at the places I rented. They had an assortment of masks with different diopters or whatever the term is for the basic nearsightedness measurement. If you know your prescription you can pick the closest one, or you can try them on and pick the one that feels right. Kind of like those cheap reading glasses at the drug store, only with less chance of eyestrain if you don't get a good correction, because you won't be using it as much. Of course, the mask also has to fit your face correctly, like any other mask, but I guess I've been lucky so far.

Cathy Apr 1st, 2002 05:27 PM

SSS,<BR>Do you buy the waterproof fanny pack at a dive shop? Is it one of those plastic looking bag where you zip the top, then fold it down about 3 times? I want a fanny pack but only found the plastic I described above.<BR><BR>Thanks,Cathy

mj Apr 1st, 2002 06:46 PM

Iza, we've hauled our snorkle gear over almost every year but this year went for minimal baggage and rented equipment. We rented from Nukumoi Surf Shop at Brenneke's Beach. Felt we did well and masks were well fitted. They have a website. You might want to email for costs before you go.

sss Apr 1st, 2002 07:36 PM

Barb lived on Oahu never had fins blister me then or since always had quality fins. Did have a problem with rentals off a boat one summer on Kauai.<BR><BR>Cathy I can't remember we bought it at paragon sporting goods or the dive shop in NYC where they sold me mask and fins. The bag we bought last year leaked a bit but was fine once we inserted it with a zip lock bag. I first saw people with these dive bags in the red sea don't see it often on Hawaii but I am not really looking either. I have seen them at yahoo shopping just this morning. Don't wait if you want to buy in dive shop last summer I remember places in the city telling me they had some but they were sold out. I waited until August to buy.I suggest you test whatever you buy at home first. Promptly return if they leak.<BR><BR>I did swim for years leaving stuff on the beach and while I am not looking forward to having that thing strapped around me it is more freeing knowing my valuables will not be idle on the beach. Had precription sun glasses as well as older not prescription glasses stolen off Hanama bay last summer.<BR><BR>Lza caved on the tickets. Just me being bored know I will be sorry. I don't want to say how much we paid but I bought the direct link sfo to Lih 802 and then phil to sfo for 243 you do the math I don't want to say it outloud. <BR><BR>Here is what I regret had we connected through Hawaii we would no doubt be on a wide body, 777 and 767 they often have individual tv's in coach on these. Those dual isles and back area are a life savor when you are going stir crazy.<BR><BR>lza I thought I saw sales right now through June to Kauai for 600 my gut is they will certainly go down from what the math was on mine. It is never a guarantee last year places were telling me wait six before the flight. I would suggest you bid and not accept more than one stop over. If you do bid shoot for 420 that was accepted for me from philadelphia summer 00. If this does not feel like what you want to do for your group do a post heading here ask people if they think you can expect a fare increase. Should you book now or wait. Dimes to donuts they will tell you to wait. Would be interesting to hear what people paid last year. <BR><BR>Hope you are checking fares everyday on a few airlines.

sss Apr 1st, 2002 07:41 PM

that was a connection through Honolulu would get you on a wide body through a number of carriers.

sss Apr 1st, 2002 07:43 PM

Carol I have the bag packed away but I remember folding it down but it shaped into a fanny pack not a dry bag. Check in a few places