Search

The Latham Philly?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:36 PM
Roscoe

The Latham Philly?

We got a good rate but is it a dump??Any good places to eat nearby?

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 04:37 AM
elaine

I live near Philadelphia and have no personal knowledge re: quality of local hotel rooms. The Latham, in it's heyday, was the place to stay. I don't think that's true anymore. Friends stayed there a year ago and thought it was terrible. Have you checked rates at the Omni, Lowes or Sheraton Society Hill? All of these properties get good reviews (from friends who've stayed recently).

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:06 AM
Frank

Roscoe: The Latham is by no means a dump. Stayed there last year and everything was very nice, nothing opulent but perfectly comfortable and clean. You can't beat the location, right off of Rittenhouse Square and it is a deal by any standard, you won't be disappointed if you paid under $100 per night for a double. Usually, for about the same price, the Sofitel is a better choice right up the block.

Don't miss the Cheesesteaks at Tony Lukes in 18th Street right around the corner from your hotel.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 06:50 AM
Roscoe

Sad to say The Latham was pretty much a dump or at least borderline dump.The air con did not work and it was really hot and sticky - they sent someone up to fix it but he could not find the problem.I should have stayed at the Sofitel right down the block.Thanks for your help.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 06:25 PM
Frank

Roscoe: Sorry to hear of your experience at the Latham. As I said we stayed for 1 night last summer and thought it was fine for the $ we paid. We had not problem with the air in our room but that was more than a year ago. As I said, the Sofitel is a real deal and seems to be a beautiful hotel for the price. I saw a rate of $79 this past summer, the next time we go to Philly we'll try it. How long were you in Philly and how did you enjoy the town?

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 09:11 PM
John G

I live in Philly and the Latham, while not in the same league as the Four Seasons, isn't that bad. And you can't beat the location. You are on Rittenhouse Square with the great restaurants Rouge and Bleu. You are also right around the corner from Restaurant Row with Le Bec Fin, Suzanna Foo, and Striped Bass. The Art Museum is very near, as is South Street. If you are out running around who cares if the Latham is a little "faded?"

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 06:32 AM
Roscoe

Frank: We did have a good time.I went to school in Philly and my son and I had some time so we decided to take a trip down Memory Lane as well as take in the sights.We had a great time at Independence Mall,took the tour,saw the Liberty Bell,took a carriage ride through Society Hill, checked out the Arms and Armour Coll. at the Art Museum,ate cheese steaks,looked at Penn,went out to Valley Forge as well as seeing several old friends and we had a great dinner at Suzana Foo.We probably spent too much money but it was worth it - except for The Latham after all that running around a cool room would have been nice.

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 06:38 AM
Roscoe

Thanks to everybody for the restaurant recomendations.We were in Philly for three days and there was plenty to do and see.We will go back.Suzanna Foo's was great.Sadly,we did not manage to find the ULTIMATE cheese steak but at least I brought the Zantac.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 05:01 AM
cheesy

the best cheesesteaks in philly are at jim's on south street (#2) and (you have to venture out of center city for this one) delassandro's in roxborough (#1) - roxborough is a neighborhood in philly, just up the hill from manayunk - i am not kidding, they are the best - AVOID pat's and geno's - totally overrated