Notices

Remember The Alamo!

Sep 13th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Original Poster

Remember The Alamo!

A business trip to San Antonio and I get to visit the "Shrine Of Texas Liberty". A rediscovery of a bit of Texas history.
Sep 13th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Original Poster

TEXAS, REMEMBER THE ALAMO

Staying at The Crockett Hotel in San Antonio, Texas, I am just steps from the area known as the Alamo. However, the “Alamo” is more than a single building most associate with the old mission church. Over the years the building has had many uses but today it is recognized world wide as the “Shrine of Texas Liberty”.

Unable to remember the origination of the phrase “Remember the Alamo”, I pop a few Ginkgo Biloba pills and set out on a mission. Unlike Pee Wee Herman, I know I will not find my answer or a bicycle in the Alamo basement. It does not exist!

Originally named Mission San Antonio de Valero, the Alamo got it's new name in the early 1800's. Spanish soldiers stationed at the mission renamed it in honor of their hometown, Alamo de Parras, Coahula. Alamo means “cottonwood” in Spanish.

Today, the facts surrounding the siege of the Alamo is still debated. What is not debated is the heroic struggle men like Davey Crockett along with Texians (not Texans) and Tejanos made against overwhelming odds on March 6th, 1836. Their struggle ended in the ultimate sacrifice for freedom, death.

Strolling through the Alamo gardens, I make my way to the front entrance of the Shrine where on the right side cannon ball damage can still be seen from the 1836 siege.

For Photos: http://dmbtravelerusa.blogspot.com/2...ber-alamo.html
Sep 15th, 2010, 09:17 PM

I was just there myself, dmbtraveler! We stayed at the Marriott RW this past Sun through last night. We walked by the Alamo last night when it was lit up. I love it then when its peaceful and without a lot of tourists.
Sep 15th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

Birdie,

Yes, peaceful and beautiful. Also walking the riverwalk at night when most of the foot and boat traffic has died down is also very cool.

Search this Thread