Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Relocation Choice (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/relocation-choice-569245/)

Newlife Nov 6th, 2005 07:35 PM

Relocation Choice

I am looking for relocation choices. Presently I live in Maine. I am looking for a climate that has little to no snow and a location that is not excessively humid and where I can reach the coast within 8 hours of driving. I am 43 and single, like outdoor activities and prefer not to be in a huge city. I am looking in NC and SC since I would like to buy a house between $100k and $150k. Know of any great places? Thanks in advance.

OldSouthernBelle Nov 6th, 2005 07:49 PM

Well the humidity is a real sticking point! LOL

Definitely leaves lower Alabama out of the mix!

...But I've been to NC and SC when it was also very humid!

Belle

starrsville Nov 6th, 2005 08:29 PM

Based on what you shared, I'd choose Asheville, NC. It does get some snow - but nothing like you've experienced in Maine. You will laugh at how we (Southerners) react to a dusting of snow! :-)

leahinsc Nov 7th, 2005 03:31 AM

Newlife...Asheville would be a good choice but you are going to have a problem finding something in Asheville or close that is in your price range unless you are VERY handy and into a "fixer-upper". Check out local real estate at www.coldwellbankerkasey.com and you'll see what I mean. The zip code for downtown Asheville is 28801

Greenhouse Nov 7th, 2005 04:00 AM

Try www.findmyspot.com.

Sunshinesue Nov 7th, 2005 04:01 AM

LOL, Southern Belle! LA definitely not the place for low humidity. Actually, with the kind of humidity we have around here (I am in north FL) Newlife might not recognize it as humidity. Might just think it's rain!

What about other towns surrounding Ashville where real estate prices might be lower? I think the problem is, in the southeast anyway, almost anywhere that has little or no snow in the winter, has high humidity in the summer. But it sounds like you are willing to put up with a little of both so it seems to me that your focus on NC and SC is appropriate. You might also want to consider north GA. Being within driving distance of Atlanta makes travel (and shopping)convenient.

leahinsc Nov 7th, 2005 04:48 AM

the problems with much of NE GA and Western NC is that it has become a retirement and 2nd home haven for those that are seeking to escape FL in the summer or selling homes in the North and buying outright down here. You may be able to find a home in your price range well outside the Asheville city limits and still be able to enjoy the altitude and relatively low humidity. You might want to check...Mars Hill, Weaverville, Waynesville, Fairview,....

starrsville Nov 7th, 2005 04:56 AM

If it were me, I'd rent in Asheville first. There are great condos downtown, apartments around and houses in and out of the city limits.

I just glanced at craigslist for Asheville and found a downtown condo AND a house in downtown that both rent at $900 a month.

Everyone I know who has moved to Asheville has loved it. There are great places in the surrounding area as well.

leahinsc Nov 7th, 2005 05:20 AM

Good advice from Starrsville - I'd rent first no matter where I went. There are lots of rental possibilities in/near downtown Asheville.

OldSouthernBelle Nov 7th, 2005 05:52 AM

A third vote for renting 1st, no matter WHERE you think you want to live.

Ashville is lovely and fun...buy some clogs and join the dancing in the streets!

Greensboro,SC area (suburbs/small towns) can be quiet and I suspect, may be less expensive?

Belle

leahinsc Nov 7th, 2005 06:01 AM

Greensboro SC??? There's a Greensboro NC and Greenville SC but I've never heard of Greensboro SC

OldSouthernBelle Nov 7th, 2005 09:16 AM

leahinsc: Oh course, you're correct!
Sorry! Meant Greenville,SC. DIL and son lived near there for awhile in a quiet little town...can't remember the name of it.

Belle

rkkwan Nov 7th, 2005 09:23 AM

San Antonio, TX? It's hot, but not as humid as many places in the SE.

beach_dweller Nov 7th, 2005 09:47 AM

Do some research on Winston-Salem NC. My wife & I lived there for 15 years and loved it. Medium-sized city; decent arts community; convenient to both mountains (2 to 2.5 hours) and ocean (4 to 5 hours). Several universities there, along with a great medical university/hospital.

High Rock Lake is to the south, Lake Norman not too far to the southwest. Tanglewood Park is just west; lots of wineries nearby in the Yadkin Valley. Hanging Rock State Park just north of W/S has some great hiking, as does Pilot Mountain, as does Stone Mountain State Park, to the west in the foothills.

Weather is great, a few snows in the winter (perhaps 2-5, and 12 inches of snow would be a blizzard for W/S). Spring & Fall are unbelievable, and Summer will get hot & humid, but only uncomfortable for 6 weeks or so.

Newlife Nov 7th, 2005 03:42 PM

Thank you all for giving me some ideas and some places to check out. I also have heard that Asheville might be an ideal choice except for the cost of housing. I think it is time for a road trip to check it out. Thank you again!
Paul

ydoc Nov 8th, 2005 01:31 PM

I have seen alot of posts regarding Ashville, is it really that great!

MikePinTucson Nov 8th, 2005 03:20 PM

Well, it's not along the east coast, that's for sure. But Tucson, AZ has low humidity (a dry heat), a very little snow (maybe once every 3 years) has excellent hiking and camping very close, is not huge (about 900,000 in the metro area, compared with over 3 million in Phoenix), and is just over 4 hours from Puerto Penasco, Mexico (beach) and around 7 hours from either L.A. or San Diego.

I have been up and down the east coast, and I don't know of any place where the humidity would be low.

Gretchen Nov 8th, 2005 04:16 PM

NC is a great state to live in. The cities (all of them) have neighborhoods that have pride. Humidity is a problem EVERYwhere, but for a certain period of time. In mid-NC you can be in the mountains in 2 hours and at the beach in 2 hours. Many NC towns are closer to (perhaps more attractive) beach towns in SC than NC. Come down and take a look.

leahinsc Nov 8th, 2005 05:04 PM

to ydoc... re:Asheville - I guess it's a question of 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. Having grown up in eastern PA, lived in DC for 8 years and then in SC (Columbia and Beaufort) for a total of 5 years I can say without a doubt that Asheville is the best. It combines breathtaking natural beauty with the charm of being in a small, culturally active city.
All depends on what you like and what you are looking for.

microdol Nov 8th, 2005 08:34 PM

Tucson AZ or Austin TX no doubt.
Laughlin NV maybe ?