Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Relocating to Destin, FL? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/relocating-to-destin-fl-516425/)

carte005 Mar 28th, 2005 10:01 AM

Relocating to Destin, FL?

I grew up in Destin, but have not lived there since high school 8 years ago. I visit my parents there a couple of times a year, so I am still familiar with the area and know that it has changed a lot since I lived there.

My question is this: as a 20-something single, will I find enough people there my age? Living somewhere while still in high school is very different than moving back as a single adult. I am hoping for some perspectives from other young people who have recently moved to the Destin area.

carte005 Mar 28th, 2005 01:51 PM

ttt

carte005 Mar 29th, 2005 03:41 AM

No young people in Destin?

Sunshinesue Mar 29th, 2005 05:02 AM

Not sure how many 20 somethings live in Destin but I can vouch for there being plenty there last week!!! 8-)

Gekko Mar 29th, 2005 06:55 AM

Destin is a seasonal beach community.

With the exception of summer employment at hotels/bars/restaurants, why would 20-somethings live there?

stjohnbound Mar 29th, 2005 07:36 AM

Do any of your friends from high school still live there? If so, you might want to get some input from them. Personally, I'm in my 40's and I left NW Florida because of hurricanes and because the place is getting overrun with snowbirds from up north. I have nothing against old people; I just don't enjoy living in an atmosphere where people move to the area for just a few months and don't really "live" there.

Wayne Mar 29th, 2005 07:42 AM

Ignore the negatives. I think you probably already know a good bit if you keep in touch with relatives. Although the Redneck Riviera might be overrun with tourists during some of the year, there are plenty of people there of all ages who live there permanently. It's a fairly thriving community all around, and you'll have no trouble finding people your age. Of course you have to be aware of that if you visit regularly.

neworleanslady Mar 29th, 2005 08:00 AM

Are you looking to be "closer" to family or specifically IN Destin for work or other reasons?
A good friend moved to Pensacola for dental school and really enjoyed her time there. I believe you would find a younger crowd there due to the military base mainly and the colleges in the area.
You might want to look into that if that is an option for you. Sorry, I don't know anyone who LIVES in Destin - only lots of friends who go.

carte005 Mar 29th, 2005 09:49 AM

Thanks for the replies. I actually have a potential job in Destin, so I would want to live close to that. I am looking to be closer to my family, but also want to have a social life of my own. None of my close high school friends are still there, so it would be kind of like starting over as far as meeting people my age.

My parents keep telling me that lots of young people have moved there in the past 5 years, many living around Santa Rosa Beach. Just curious to hear first hand from anyone who has moved there, in terms of the ease of meeting people.

smariem Mar 29th, 2005 10:30 AM

My family is also from Destin although I've never lived there. That's a hard question to answer, because I don't seem to find QUALITY young people there. Because of the lack of big business it remains a town/area of bartenders/waitresses etc. - that possibly aren't on the same wavelength as you (if you know what I mean.) Although it may be changing! I would think that the healthcare and real estate industries would draw educated young people. Santa Rosa might be a possibility.