Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Relocating to California! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/relocating-to-california-355015/)

chgeeb May 5th, 2008 11:09 AM

Relocating to California!

Hello,
I currently live in Boston. Going to finish up my graduate degree in about 2 years. Next summer, I'm planning a trip for a few weeks to California. I want to get my phD out in Cali, and not sure of where. I know I want somewhere on the coast. At first thought, I want LA, San Francsico, San Diego areas....

Can anyone suggest a great area to live for a young (mid to young 20s) couple looking for a good job market?

Barbara May 5th, 2008 11:15 AM

Which universities in California offer PhDs in your area of study?

What specific job market are you interested in?

beth_fitz May 5th, 2008 11:20 AM

My nephew from Ohio came out to CA (SF Bay Area) to get his Master's Degree and is hoping to continue his education (phD) at Berkeley in the fall. He really likes the area and he plans to possibly stay after school.

I think it depends on what you like to do and what your expectations of CA are before anyone can recommend an area for you.

If I am right, I think the Boston area has a pretty high cost of living so you wouldn't be shell shocked coming to CA.

chgeeb May 5th, 2008 11:27 AM

Yes the cost of living here in Boston is crazy ridiculous.

As for job market, mine's in business, the fiance would be for teaching.
And I'm looking in the Berkley area also! I'm looking at UCLA, University of California at Berkeley, San Diego, and San Fran. I just have no idea what the positives/negatives are of each?
I love the ocean, we love to explore, adventure, shop, but looking for great neighborhoods to live in and raise a family.

TTess May 5th, 2008 11:37 AM

Unless you have at least a 4.0 with other important field related attributes, you're not going to get into UCLA or CAL.

Apply to the schools first, see where you get in. Then, explore the areas first-hand to see what appeals to you. Good luck!

suze May 5th, 2008 11:44 AM

San Francisco is crazy expensive (statistically more than even Boston, I'm pretty sure).

Los Angeles and San Diego are more afforable and have a better climate than SF.

San Francisco is a fabulous city, but I can't afford it (and I live in Seattle). As a student you'd likely end up living in an outlying area somewhere.

p.s. Don't call it "Cali" you'll brand youself as an out-of-towner
;-)

Shanghainese May 5th, 2008 11:51 AM

Are you finishing up your MBA? Do you have related work experience? What do you plan to do after you get your PhD in business? Think about it before you consider moving.

RBCal May 5th, 2008 12:16 PM

For PhD's GPA is not as important as accomplishments. If you have published good papers in your field it is easy to be accepted into doctoral programs anywhere.

Kal May 5th, 2008 12:20 PM

I'd say if you want to study in Cali you should go to Frisco.

RBCal May 5th, 2008 12:28 PM

No one from Cali calls SF Frisco. I don't know anyone from CA that calls it Cali either.

suze May 5th, 2008 12:28 PM

(Kal's makin' a joke... don't call it "Frisco" either!)

easytraveler May 5th, 2008 01:31 PM

Assuming that you are able to get into one of the top schools in California - UCLA is very close to the ocean and is in a wonderful area but expensive in terms of housing.

UC San Diego is even closer to the ocean and San Diego is a great place to live and bring up a family.

UC Berkeley is not too far from San Francisco Bay. It's probably the furthest away in terms of beach access.

All three are great schools, altho I'm not certain how their business schools are ranked.

There are also several smaller colleges and universities, private and public, that you could look into.

You're going to have to give us some more information - are you looking at one of the top big schools or one of the smaller colleges? What other parameters are you considering besides "along the coast". What kind of community are you looking for? What kind of ice cream do you like(I know this is not an important question for some, but for me it's very important). Tell us some more of your interests and needs and we can answer your questions better.

janisj May 5th, 2008 01:32 PM

We don't allow anyone to immigrate until they pass the lingo test. One "OC", "Cali", "San Fran", or "Frisco" out of your mouth and you are banned.

But as the others say - you first need to determine which graduate schools you qualify for . . . . .

Barblab May 5th, 2008 01:38 PM

I think you need to come out and spend some time in SD, LA and SF. Southern and Northern California are very different from each other and I think once you have visited you will get a vibe on where you would best fit in.

To address some of your concerns: There is so much to do all over the state finding adventure and exploring can easily be done from any of the the three cities. The only school mentioned on the water is UCSD, but the others are close. Of course the cost of living increases the closer you get to the water. If you are looking for a city with a feel like Boston the only one in the running close to it is SF. Right now California is increasing class sizes and laying off teachers but who knows what the situation will be like in 2 years. Even in times when teaching jobs are tight you can usually find a job if you are willing to teach in the intercity.

Good luck with your adventure - you are right to follow your dreams when you are young and unencumbered with too much responsibility.

TTess May 5th, 2008 02:03 PM

Well, I just flunked reading comprehension because I thought I read he was going for his MBA. Gulp! Phd? I bow before you, chgeeb. Where's that smiley, Scarlett? Oh, I'll just use my default #-O .

Guys, your old fartiness is showing. Even the CA kids are calling it OC and Cali. Frisco? NEVER, NEVER!

Jean May 5th, 2008 02:15 PM

The kids are probably picking up the Cali thing from Arnold's pronunciation of the state's name: Caleeforneeya.

Shanghainese May 5th, 2008 02:21 PM

TTess -- you are fine, he IS going to finish his graduate degree in business, then go for his PhD.

chgeeb -- you know the Cali graduates go east and end up in Boston for PhDs!

Kal May 5th, 2008 02:25 PM

Did Lassie live in Colliefornia?

You can call it what yah want to as long as yah pay yer taxes!

Much like pronouncing "almonds".
"ALL-monds" or "Ammindz"?

An almond rancher buddy of mine told me once you buy them you can call them what you want.

lizzard May 5th, 2008 02:34 PM

Don't date yourself, Jean.

These "kids" have been saying "Cali" since LL Cool J (a New York rapper) had a huge hit with his song "Going back to Cali" about 20 years ago.

But I'll be the first to say, as a California native I cringe now as I did then when I hear the word Cali.

trippinkpj May 5th, 2008 02:43 PM

My daughter, as a 5th generation Californian, even says Cali. I think it's a young person's thing. While it doesn't bug me, it does sound a little silly especially when I say it, LOL.