relocating to big city

May 15th, 2001, 01:26 PM
tammy

relocating to big city

i am moving to suburban chicago and came across a big-time culture shock. my rush-hour commute took 1 hour 15 minutes this morning!!!! i have not signed a contract yet, but i am beside myself. they want me to sign this week. my question is: how long is your commute, and when do you say enough is enough

May 15th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Beth

Bad news is 1hr. 15 min. is not a bad commute in Chicago area. I first moved to Chicago over two years ago and tried living in the burbs, this only lasted 6 mos. My commute from Schaumburg to downtown was almost 2 hours each way!!!! we quickly decided that we would give up a house with a yard and move to a downtown condo. Now I commute by subway/el and my total time including walking to stop is less than 20 min. sometimes you just have to make choices. You definitely get more for your money in the suburbs of Chicago but you certainly give up your time!

May 15th, 2001, 03:21 PM
No name

Anything over 45 minutes is too long and will suck out your soul after about a year.

Find a way to live closer to the job, or don't make the move, I say.

May 15th, 2001, 04:56 PM
Jeanette

I don't know what suburb you went to, but I would move to an area that had direct train access. The western suburbs have a straight train run that averages only about 35 minutes into downtown from Downers Grove or Westmont, for instance. My commute is getting longer all the time and I don't go downtown. It's because of Chicago's two seasons- winter and construction.

If you live Northwest or Southwest you are going to have long commutes. The train from my suburb takes 40 plus minutes when it is express. I did it for awhile when I was young, but for me that commute did not fit into my lifestyle.

Search this Thread