Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Relocating from Miami to North Carolina (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/relocating-from-miami-to-north-carolina-1131397/)

smarchetti Sep 20th, 2016 07:35 AM

Relocating from Miami to North Carolina

Hello to all of the wonderful people out there. My family and I are looking to relocate to North Carolina from Miami. Miami is becoming way to crowded and ruder everyday. I was laid off of my job last year and have not been able to find anything because I'm not bilingual. I'm beyond frustrated! We have been wanting to move there for along time and this just might be the right time.
So with that said, my family and I love North Carolina, but we just aren't sure where the best place to go would be in the state. I have two boys ages 16 and 8 so good schools are a huge priority. We need to be somewhere that has a safe environment and neighborhood along with good decent paying jobs. I want my children to be able to go outside and play (like they do now). For housing,we would be renting in the beginning (so an affordable area would be great) but we would eventually like to buy something probably around $250k or less.
My friend told me Chapel Hill was great (but it seems expensive),I've heard Charlotte was great and Raleigh. Along with Carey and Apex.
If you could all help me with this it would be much appreciated.

Thank you ��

Gretchen Sep 20th, 2016 08:11 AM

All those places ARE great. Our kids live in a lovely neighborhood of Charlotte with houses about that level of cost (probably a little more), but the housing market in CLT is hot right now.
We don't know what job you are qualified for so that will be important and maybe determine what city.
Hard to know--you need to visit and research.

Dukey1 Sep 20th, 2016 09:26 AM

How much would it cost you to learn Spanish?

Brian_in_Charlotte Sep 20th, 2016 09:46 AM

If you are willing to commute, look at Ft. Mill, SC.

RoamsAround Sep 20th, 2016 12:08 PM

OP said <<...We need to be somewhere that has a safe environment and neighborhood along with good decent paying jobs...>>

What type of jobs are the "we" you refer to looking for and how well do you think you'll stack up against the other qualified applicants for those particular jobs? If you've had difficulty finding a job in Miami are you confident that your skill set, whatever it might be, will make you more marketable in NC?

lambyk Oct 13th, 2016 06:18 AM

I would suggest the Clover/ Lake Wylie area in South Carolina. Just over the border from Charlotte. This area is growing fast. Clover has some of the best schools in the state. Taxes are a lot lower than NC. We moved here from NY three years ago and are amazed at how cheap it is to live here.

Dukey1 Oct 13th, 2016 08:14 AM

I'm sorry, but advising someone to move somewhere when you have no idea what they may or may not be qualified to do, work-wise, seems rather disrespectful if nothing else.