Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   relocating from FL to CT (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/relocating-from-fl-to-ct-939388/)

debbreed Jun 16th, 2012 07:23 PM

relocating from FL to CT

My family is relocating from Fla. to Conn. (we have always lived in FL/GA) for a new job.
Need advice on where to live in CT. Like small town/rural feel, will need access to interstate -as I will be driving back and forth Boston to NYC frequently for business.

sf7307 Jun 16th, 2012 07:32 PM

I'm not clear, are you picking CT because it's between Boston and Manhattan, or is there an office somewhere in CT? If its the latter, where is that office? If it's the former, do you want to be midway, or closer to one than the other?

Hez Jun 16th, 2012 08:14 PM

If you're not stuck on CT, have a think about Rhode Island. I'm a little biased though - we lived briefly in Stamford (hated it) and moved to Orlando. My sister, however, has lived in Kingston, RI for years and absolutely loves it.

Aduchamp1 Jun 16th, 2012 08:20 PM

There is a paucity of information. But you should realize that between November and March there is always the possibility of snow and even though you are used to a car culture, you should learn about the trains between NYC and Boston. There is MetroNorth and AMTRAK depending on where you wind up. They are convenient and both will take you right into the cities.

Bowsprit Jun 17th, 2012 05:12 AM

debbreed: I answered on your other post/thread....

debbreed Jun 17th, 2012 05:36 AM

sf7307 - employer has requested that we live either in CT or MA for travel, hubby will have home office. He will travel extensively, primarily between the two cities. We have traveled to New Englad many times and have enjoyed NYC over the past 20 years on numerous trips. When it comes to a residence there however that is an entirely different story.
We do not have children, so schools are not a consideration. We plan to rent for the first year in order to become familiar with the area. I have read that there is huge difference between W CT and the remainder of the state when speaking about weather - is this true?

Aduchamp1 Jun 17th, 2012 05:40 AM

The problem with other travel from CT, is that Bradley airport in Windsor Lock near Hartford has limited service. You should have better access to Logan or the NYC airports.

Bowsprit Jun 17th, 2012 06:54 AM

Actually, Bradley is an international airport. It's where we leave from for most of our trips. Bradley Airport can get you to or connect you to anywhere. It's a nice, medium sized airport so very easy to navigate. Bradley's great.

MikeT Jun 17th, 2012 07:00 AM

What does this have to do with travel?

Aduchamp1 Jun 17th, 2012 07:09 AM

Well that is point about Bradley, that you almost always have to connect to somewhere else and if you had the choice to live near Logan or the NYC airports and are traveling regularly, Bradley would add considerable time for the course of, say, a year.

I used to work with someone who lived outside of Hartford and he more often than not drove to one of the NYC airports rather than wait for the connecting flight.

Bowsprit Jun 17th, 2012 07:21 AM

Adu: Bradley offers direct flights to Europe, Florida, Chicago, San Francisco, etc. It works. We hardly ever bother with one of the NYC airports. Interesting. Bradley is a 10 minute drive from Hartford, very convenient. I've lived part time in central CT for a long time, 20+ years, and chose the location for easy access to NYC and the rest of New England. It was a good choice for us.

Aduchamp1 Jun 17th, 2012 07:52 AM

Understood.

Bowsprit Jun 17th, 2012 08:16 AM

ok. lol. Have I changed your mind yet? :)

Aduchamp1 Jun 17th, 2012 08:31 AM

My mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Business travel can become so tedious, so you are always looking for advantages. My good friend and colleague would always come to the gate 10 minutes before boarding and she lives in Queens. And during the winter months you look for connections that do not get snow or avoid the east coast connections during high hurricane season.

I used to visit Hartford from NYC and there are limited trains that go to Hartford and always would up driving.

I will say this about CT, it has the most beautiful towns and the ugliest cities.

330east Jun 17th, 2012 12:44 PM

New Milford, Brookfield, Danbury, ct
Madison,ct

tomfuller Jun 17th, 2012 02:50 PM

Have you looked at Mystic? It has an Amtrak station. The trains run sometimes with delays but rarely cancelled as often happens with airplanes in snowstorms.
If he had to get to an airport without delays he could ride Amtrak to BWI or even Washington to catch a flight out of Reagan National.

nytraveler Jun 17th, 2012 04:14 PM

I hardly think a 5 hour train ride counts as close to an airport. Boston and NYC airports are much closer - as are a number of smaller airports.

emcash Jun 17th, 2012 04:37 PM

I live in CT and while bradley is often very convenient, its def not a major airport. So, depending on where you intend to travel, relying on bradley may not be the call.

The central and western parts of CT do traditionally get worse weather than the shoreline. If you want to be between boston and ny, then i would suggest central ct. If you were to look at Wethersfield, say, you would be about 2 and a half hours from NY and and hour and 40 minutes from Boston. It's easy access to the major highways in CT and Old wethersfield in particular is adorable. "new" wethersfield, not quite so much. I wouldn't recomment the shoreline east of new haven for one reason- the I95 corridor will drive you nuts when you travel to NYC- it's pretty much 2 lanes until you reach New haven.
Small, rural and easy access to highway for travel dont always go hand in hand. Someplace like Pomfret or Putnam would fit small and rural, but your ride to NYC would stink. If you have any more needs/wants, list them and maybe we can help narrow the towns down.

Bowsprit Jun 17th, 2012 04:41 PM

I will say this about CT, it has the most beautiful towns and the ugliest cities.
----------------------------------------------------

Exactly right, Aduchamp!

The op is traveling between NYC and Boston...

debbreed Jun 18th, 2012 09:19 AM

Thanks everyone for the great info - I may be back in a few days with more specific requests. BTW Mike T. - it does have to do with travel, we will just be there for an "extended stay"! I have always found the forums on Fodors very helpful and knew that I would get good advice here.