Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Relaxing Maine town on coast (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/relaxing-maine-town-on-coast-423011/)

buttercup Apr 16th, 2004 10:31 AM

Relaxing Maine town on coast

Can anyone offer suggestions for a 5 to 7 night stay on the Maine coast? We will be sightseeing on the way - we are looking for a quiet coastal town to stay for awhile.

We would love to rent a house or condo (need to sleep five) and be able to walk to a beach. There doesn't need to be a lot in the town, maybe some good local seafood. A place that would be a starting point for some day trips on the coast would be great.

Thanks for you help.

rkkwan Apr 16th, 2004 01:37 PM

I stayed in a cabin for several days between Belfast and Searsport once. Can't remember the name of the property, but it has direct access to the beach. I think that's a good location as there are plenty of restaurants along Route 1 in that area, as well as in Belfast. Bar Harbor is only about 60 miles (or 1.5 hours with traffic) away. I also went inland, as Bangor is also only 35 miles, and all the way up to Baxter State Park. Basically all of Maine can be covered from that area.

clarkgriswold Apr 16th, 2004 04:12 PM

www.beloins.com

dfrostnh Apr 17th, 2004 02:56 AM

I'd vote for the same area. We camped in Searsport and it was a great location for day trips. Should you have a rainy day you might browse the used books in the huge former chicken coop on Rt 1 (Trenton, I think) or visit the Cole Transportation Museum in Bangor. The fresh steamed lobster place nearby was very basic. We noted that families brought their own table cloths, napkins, beverages and side dishes. A recent travel article in the Boston Globe highly recommended some restaurants in Belfast. We got some great sandwiches at a place on a side street. Our visit was in late June. A few shops were closed with a "gone fishing" sign on the door but the lupine were blooming.

rebelyeller Apr 17th, 2004 03:21 AM

I think Camden is one of the most picturesque coastal Maine towns. Nice restaurants and plenty to do.

BrendaM Apr 18th, 2004 08:34 PM

The best sandy beaches are in southern Maine from about York north to Portland. There are loads of beachy accommodations along this stretch. If you want to do some research try the Maine Innkeepers Association at maineinns.com. Lots of info on places to stay and links to properties. Another area to consider is the Acadia Park area near Bar Harbor. Always the most well known and visited park in Maine. Really gorgeous area but you must book accommodations in advance for the summer season. Same website will be helpful. Enjoy your visit. Maine is a great State. Eat some Lobsta!!!!

PamSF Apr 18th, 2004 11:25 PM

I'd vote for Castine or Camden. Castine to me seems like the quintessential Maine town. Camden is a bit more bustling. I've also stayed in Searsport and went because I was searching for antiques. I must not have found the beach as it seemed like a very small place to me. I will say we had a great meal at Nichol's Tavern in Searsport.

rkkwan Apr 19th, 2004 05:10 AM

Just want to clarify a thing. Like BrendaM says, if you want white sandy beach, you have to stay south of Portland. North of it is mainly rocky coast. The beaches near Belfast and Seasport - like the one I have access to from my cabin - are muddy ones. It's still a beach, and it's still pretty with plenty of creatures, but it's not white and not sandy.

SharonG Apr 19th, 2004 07:07 AM

I second the vote for Castine or Camden. They are lovely towns. And the rocky coast of Maine has to be one of the most beautiful in the world. I love Maine!! Go there every summer.